Have you ever sold anything via craigslist? or consignment? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-28-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a ton of baby stuff we've outgrown - high chairs, bouncy seats, etc etc. I have been wanting to sell it for a while but keep missing all the consignment sales in the area. So now I'm looking at other ways to sell. I've never sold anything before (on Craigslist or elsewhere) so I need some help!

Is it better to find a consignment store that will take baby gear or go with Craigslist? (By "better" I guess I'm thinking money-wise, but also with consignment stores do you get the money right away or only after your item sells?)

If I sell on Craigslist, should I try to meet potential buyers somewhere away from my house? Some of this stuff is large-ish but maybe I can fit it in my car and plan to meet someone at a local coffee shop - is this a good idea?

Is there any other advice anyone can offer?
#2 of 4 Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 PM

I've sold tons of things on Craigslist. It's better than consignment stores, but might take some time, depending on the items. You'll definitely get more money on Craigslist. I usually meet people by Target or some other store/shopping center.

Good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 09-29-2010, 01:07 AM
jmo

Yes, Craig's list will get you more money. I have sold a lot on CL and honestly, I've always just had the people come to my house with no problems. I guess I live in a pretty safe town. It never really occured to me not to. CL can be kind of annoying just dealing with the phone calls/emails and sometimes people don't show up or make an appt to see it and then offer you like $5 or something. I only use it for bigger items.
I do sometimes take baby gear to second hand stores as well. Not consignment but stores who will give you either cash or trade for the items. You will get a little less money but it can be less work just to swing by a store with a box of stuff and be done with it right there.
Just clean everything up really well. Put it all together, put batteries in them if needed. Find the instructions and original box if you have them - that can get you a little more sometimes.

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#4 of 4 Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 AM

I made $1600 selling stuff on kijiji (like craigslist, but more popular in some areas) last year. When we moved out of Seattle I made about $500 selling on Craigslist there.

I've never me anybody weird or scary. It was no problem having people come to pick stuff up.

It can be a lot of work. Sometimes people no-show. Sometimes you have a lot of email to wade through. People want to haggle on the price. It can be time consuming to get good pictures, write up quality ads, keep track of a large number of ads, keep stuff organized for pick ups, etc. I've found that I can't sell more that six or eight things at a time. However, you definitely get the best prices selling this way. It's worth the work if you have good stuff to sell.

It helps to read similar listings first and figure out what the stuff goes for to get the asking price right. The market is really good for baby stuff, but you have to get the price right.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page