Street parking with 2 kiddos? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-30-2010, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always lived in houses that have driveways. I can't even parallel park. But dh and I are thinking of buying an adorable townhouse that only has street parking. It's just outside the city limits, close to his 2 jobs (and he could still come home for lunch). My question is how difficult is this with dd, 3, and ds, 11 months. They both, especially ds, fall asleep in the car when we are out and it's so easy now to leave them safely in the driveway while I unload groceries. The townhouse is on a pretty busy street, close to a big intersection. Help! Is this a real issue or do I just need to adapt and also stop leaving things in the car?
#2 of 7 Old 09-30-2010, 02:48 AM

eeek...that's tough.

If that was the only option for living I would adapt. I would hope to find something better though as it would certainly make for some sucky situations because you couldn't leave the kids out there sleeping.
#3 of 7 Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
IDK it all depends... Is that 'street parking' dedicated for your townhouse or is it more of a 'free for all' and you will be circling the block until you find something? What happens when it snows? What is the snow rule for parking? - Where I lived you could only park on one side of the street, no matter what your assigned parking was. If you can park on the street when it snows what the heck happens when the plow comes by and in essence 'plows' you in?

IDK about you but I DO NOT carry groceries or kids for blocks! I require dedicated parking and that parking must be covered and in a driveway/parking lot (yes I have pretty darn high standards these days)

I just see tons of parking tickets in your future and that is not fun. Parallel parking isnt that difficult to learn.

THIS IS A REAL ISSUE!!!!!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 7 Old 10-03-2010, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm with zebra -- unless it's the perfect situation otherwise (and only option), then go for something with a garage. You can't leave the kids in a street spot while you go back and forth, and come winter it's going to be a nightmare, whether they're sleeping or awake. You'll go out, find you were plowed in, put the kids -- where? back in the house? standing alone on the sidewalk in the cold? -- while you shovel your way out, then get them in the car? Even if the plows came before you parked last night, there's still going to be a HUGE mountain of hard packed snow on the passenger side of your car. So unless you drive a van or SUV and your 3-year-old can climb in the driver's side and get over and strapped in on her own, that's not going to work well for you. And how will she get unstrapped when you get home?

My instinct is to say, people deal with this kind of stuff all the time. You'll learn, you'll get used to it, you'll develop a system. And that's true. But I wouldn't want the hassle.
#5 of 7 Old 10-04-2010, 10:21 AM

We live in a neighbourhood that only has on street parking. When we're lucky enough to get a spot in front of the house it's WAY closer than any driveway we've ever had. The car is the width of the sidewalk from the front door. We can always get that spot on Friday at 4pm when the street cleaner finishes.

I have no problem leaving kids in a street spot you can see from the house. I don't see how metres from your house is different whether it's a driveway or a road if you're going back and forth loading or unloading the car. The same with leaving the kids in the house while you dig out the car (though usually we had one parent dig while the other was in with the kids).

That said, we don't own a car anymore. A car is more trouble than it's worth in this city. Whenever we borrow or rent a car we complain about traffic the whole time... so it's not like this is something we deal with every day. However, we lived in an apartment complex for awhile where the parking was in an underground garage that took literally five to ten minutes to get to using various elevators, stairs, corridors, etc. That was way more of a hassle with kids than on street parking! Our kids were 1, 3.5 and 5 at the time. After dealing with that it would never occur to me to complain about on street parking.

If your kids are 1 and 3 you're coming down the other side of naps in the car. I wouldn't pass up a great location that I'd live in for ten years because there might be some logistical issues with kids for the next two years. You can always figure out stuff to do. You can go for a drive until they're ready to wake up, you can listen to NPR and have a driveway moment that's not in your driveway, you learn to time things so it just doesn't happen so much.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#6 of 7 Old 10-04-2010, 10:43 AM

I wouldn't do it. We're planning a move to city living in the not so distant future, and even though it will making finding a home more challenging, off-street parking is a must for us. It's just not something I'm willing to have to deal with, and my kids are older than yours.
#7 of 7 Old 10-04-2010, 01:21 PM

When we were young parents, we lived in a house where you had to park on the street and go up/down two (medium sized) flights of stairs to our house/car. I would take ds in his infant seat near the top of the street flight of stairs, run to the house and take dd (a 32 lb 1 year old) all the way down to the car, and then run up the steps and bring down ds. Then in reverse when we got home. If the kids were napping after a shopping trip, I would run groceries up to the porch, then go back for the kids.

Honestly, it was nerve wracking, and it ended up being easier to stay home than to deal with the hassle.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page