Random Questions about Indoor Brooms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How often should you replace your broom if used daily?
What kind of broom do you use?
#2 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 12:48 AM

I use a dust mop (like this) instead of a broom, and just throw it in the washer. No need to replace it.
#3 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 07:13 AM

I buy the cheapest broom I can find at the store, and don't replace it until it starts to look nasty. They usually last a long time.
#4 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 PM

I don't even own an indoor broom (I vacuum the tile instead), but I'd say you can keep it as long as it's functioning and not gross.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 15 Old 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i know... My broom seems to get dusty after just one use. Then you are just re dusting your dusty house! I've had much better luck vacuuming.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#6 of 15 Old 10-13-2010, 06:14 PM

I replace my indoor broom when it gets too nasty (fluff that won't come off, etc), or when the straws start to bend. Maybe every year or two? That broom then becomes the garage broom, and the garage broom then becomes the patio broom. The patio broom hangs in there until the bitter end.

ETA I like a straw broom, I think they work best. I've also found that storing it off the ground/attached to the wall when not in use makes it last much longer.
#7 of 15 Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 PM

I no longer use a regular broom inside, I use flylady's rubba sweepa http://www.mothering.com/discussions...bba_sweepa.asp it works better then a regular broom and when it gets dusty I can use water and soap to clean it! I use a mop with removable cloth pads to mop..
#8 of 15 Old 10-15-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Those of you using vacuums on tile, how do you get to th corners without having to put the attachment on?

We have a dyson animal and when I suggested we vacuum the tile with it my df said it would be bad on the vacuum and tile, despite it having a hard floors setting.
swede likes this.
#9 of 15 Old 10-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
Those of you using vacuums on tile, how do you get to th corners without having to put the attachment on?

We have a dyson animal and when I suggested we vacuum the tile with it my df said it would be bad on the vacuum and tile, despite it having a hard floors setting.
We have to sweep out the corners, baseboards if we want them clean, especially with our older model dyson that can't fit underneath the baseboards.

Otherwise we just have dirty corners!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#10 of 15 Old 10-16-2010, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I use the straw kind of indoor broom. It lasts a very long time and I pull off the fuzzies wash it with soap and water from time to time. I'd replace it if the straw was worn down or all bent sideways (I let it dry upside down in the belief that that will keep them from getting all bent). I do vacuum quite a bit, though, which I'm sure adds to the longevity of my broom. But we have legos and sweeping before vacuuming is often advisable.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#11 of 15 Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
When is gets frayed, I replace. That takes many years.
#12 of 15 Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 AM

If you buy an old fashioned broom and treat it right, it will last decades. I know the brooms used at the dojo I used to attend (they're used several times every night) were over 20 years old and looked brand new just because they were used mindfully.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#13 of 15 Old 10-17-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
I just replaced a broom that was well over 10 years old, a year or so ago. I replaced it because we had a major flood and we used the broom about a million times in the course of nine weeks for all kinds of gunk (water, concrete dust, mortar dust, drywall dust, insulation fibers, dryer vent lint, carpet tack strips debris, all manner of construction mess). We replaced the tile, vinyl, and carpet with floating cork flooring and I didn't want to use the old, icky broom on our pretty new floors. I did use it during the install process, though, because that is just a huge dusty mess. I thought I moved the old one outside, but I haven't seen it lately and we were just working on the garden earlier today...so who knows, it may have been pitched or given away.

I like corn brooms with a wood handle. I got our newest one from Costco. I drill a hole in the handle and hang it from a nail off the ground. It helps the broom live a long, helpful life.

We actually don't use the broom that much with our new flooring. Just around the edges and along the top of the baseboards. Our roomba does such a great job and then I mop with a flat cloth-covered contraption.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#14 of 15 Old 05-09-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post

I would recommend getting a new broom at least once a year if you use it daily.  It can be surprising how many germs and bacteria can develop on a broom, especially in a house with animals that shed.  One place that has a variety of brooms and dust pans is abatix.com.  They are usually priced a lot more reasonably then some other companies out there.  Here's a link to one for example: ["http://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=LAGRCP6374&catlist=255" LOBBY DUST PAN BROOM]

#15 of 15 Old 05-09-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I haven't owned a broom in years.  I don't like the idea of just pushing dirt around or whipping it up into the air.  My Oreck has side brushes which keep my edges very clean.

Bring back the old MDC

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page