Poison oak removal, tell me your story (x-posted in digging in the earth) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we just moved to CA from AZ last year, and I had never seen poison oak. Or had never know what I was seeing was poison oak I should say. Until I got it last week from the knees down to the ankles.

We have a small amount of it on our third of an acre property. The problem is, my neighbor with severe mental illness had an 8 foot poison oak tree growing right on her side of the fence, and at least half of the poison oak in our yard appears to be emanating from that spot. Right now my method of removal is wetting the ground, digging with a shovel as much of the plant out, and putting it in the green bin. The new plan, after 15 minutes of digging and seeing that the root system is huge is buying herbicide and spraying that on the roots after digging the plant up. The plants are only 2 inches tall in this section of the yard. Does this seem effective, had anyone done it before. This is my first time ever using herbicide, but I feel like the risk of getting this rash again, or my son getting it outweighs the risk of herbicide. Also are you comfortable using herbicide when you are 5 months pregnant? I am, but my husband insists he should be the one to do it. I feel like he usually does a half-ass job at anything yard-related and I would rather do it myself (don't get me wrong, he's wonderful at other things like cooking and making me feel loved.)

Anyone BTDT, helpful advice, commiseration about the evils of poison oak?

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know about the removal... my dh takes care of that (and not naturally, tried that, didn't work), but to get rid of the rash we've found nothing (natural or otherwise) that works better than Zanfel. Dh and I are both highly reactive to poison ivy/oak. Here is the site: www.zanfel.com. It is expensive, but it works!

gl
hth

ps - According to its website and packaging, it's safe for pregnant and nursing women, too.

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

User Tag List