Houskeeping-- What is acceptable/not acceptable? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is another thread on this board that has a few post regarding cleanliness and CPS that just scares me. I don't consider my home so bad that my kids should be removed, but from the descriptions in those posts, maybe others would have a different idea.

(by acceptable, I mean that you would allow your kiddo to go over for a play date, without crinkling your nose, or coming on MDC to chat about it)What do you consider acceptable in terms of:

Laundry? (clean but in baskets, left in the dryer, on the couch for days waiting to be put away...)
Floors? (crumbs, or clothes on the floor in bedrooms, toys on the floor, spots on a kitchen floor).
Dishes? (dirty in the sink for how long, clean but not put a way, dishes left in the living room or a night stand...)
closets? How cluttered can they be? stuffed, or tidy and usable?
Bathrooms?
General clutter? kitchen table, dresser, counters?
windows, baseboards etc?, how often would you expect them to be cleaned? how dirty is too dirty.

I can't think of anything else, but please include if you have any other dealbreakers.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#2 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
Laundry? (clean but in baskets, left in the dryer, on the couch for days waiting to be put away...)
Floors? (crumbs, or clothes on the floor in bedrooms, toys on the floor, spots on a kitchen floor).
Dishes? (dirty in the sink for how long, clean but not put a way, dishes left in the living room or a night stand...)
Bathrooms?
windows, baseboards etc?, how often would you expect them to be cleaned? how dirty is too dirty.
Laundry - I don't like laundry left around in the living room. Wouldn't stop me from letting my kids play but would annoy me in my own home. Clean laundry is at least put away in the appropriate bedroom, even if it doesn't make it's way into the drawers.

Floors - I clean up any crumbs straight away, as well as spilled food. Probably wouldn't want my child playing where food has been left on the floor. Toys are put away two or three times a day here.

Dishes - A days worth of dirty dishes and drying dishes is acceptable to me. Maybe that's because I don't have a dishwasher and hate doing dishes though!

Closets - I don't care about. Out of sight out of mind is my motto!

Bathrooms - I wipe down the vanity every night and try to do a proper clean once a week. If the toilet has stains or anything I will clean them off straight away.

General clutter - I keep surfaces clear and make sure I clear them off totally at least once a day. Wouldn't bother me if someone else didn't.

Windows etc - I do VERY infrequently. I should do them more but they end up covered in finger prints about five minutes later so I've kind of given up . Baseboards and windowsills? If there's visible dirt or dust they need to be cleaned, but once again I only do them like twice a year!

It's complicated.
#3 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 05:43 PM

In my home, if the dishes are rinsed, the trash is out and the bathrooms are clean, I'm cool.

Laundry - Clean laundry is always in the bedrooms, but maybe not in the drawers.

Floors - I keep floors decent. Never leave any crumbs or messes. Vaccuming is done once a week.

Dishes - There are often rinsed dishes in my sink. I don't stress over every little detail. But my kitchen always smells good and the counters are clear and shiny.

Closets - I could care less about. Closets are for stashing clutter 'til u get around to it.

Bathrooms - I must have clean bathrooms at all times. I check and wipe down surfaces just about every time I'm in there.

General clutter - I keep surfaces as clear as possible. Makes all the difference. But I kinda enjoy some clutter in others' homes. It makes it comfy and shows the owner's personality.

Windows etc - I hardly ever do.

Baseboards and windowsills? If I see something dirty, I'll swipe them.

IMO, Unacceptable in others' homes: Funk, nasty bathrooms, nasty floors, trash everywhere, any kind of animal excrement on the floors.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#4 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 06:03 PM

My house is much cleaner without a baby! Somehow I just can't keep up as well as I'd like.

Clean laundry in baskets is fine, though it drives me crazy when I can't find time to put it away. I try to pick up dirty clothes from the floor every time I find them.

A day of dishes in the sink is ok, as long as they are mostly rinsed.

Windows constantly have dog nose prints and kid finger prints. Oh well. They sure do look nice when they are clean for 5 minutes.

Baseboards I do once a month or whenever they get nasty. Dogs contribute to this.

We scoop the 2 litter boxes 1-2 times a day and immediately clean up any poo that has landed outside the box. The litter boxes are in a gated off back room where we have things stored in tubs with lids and our bookshelves.

I think it's difficult to keep a small house clean with babies and pets. It's impossible for my white kitchen floor to not have a few dirty spots! I vacuum the entire house almost daily, and spot clean the floor between mopping every 1-2 weeks.

The bathroom always seems dirty too, but I try to keep the counter wiped down and gross spots out of my toilet. I deep clean it once a week or so.

I'm fine with a house looking lived in as long as it isn't down right nasty, smelly, or filthy.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#5 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Honestly, I feel like the other poster in other thread had exaggarated quite a bit. Maybe she wasn't but I have had a CPS coming in my home unexpectedly before for a situation not related to tidiness. CPS asked if she could investigate my whole house and she said my house was acceptable and safe enough for our children. She found nothing hazardous.

I had some dirty dishes in my sink.
Some toys on the living room floor.
My dd's room was kinda messy with toys and her clothes on floor.
The laundry room had clothes waiting to be washed and the cat litter box had some lumps in it.
One bedroom was used for storage.
Bathrooms was in need of some cleaning.

The entire house was chlid-proofed.

Maybe some locations are more stricter than the others. I don't know.

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#6 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'm not worried about cps exactly, thank god, but I think my idea of what is normal I think is very skewed.

Our floor and counters have food crumbs or spots on them. They do not get wiped/swept/vacuumed everyday. Our bedrooms/bathrooms have clothes on the floor. about half the closets are not usable. (for example, you can't walk into our walk in master closet.). At least one seat on my sofa has stuff on it at any given time. Our clean clothes are in baskets in the master bedroom. I've always been messy, but things have gotten much worse since I went back to work after DS (maybe around 4 months, and then again when I got pregnant around 7-8 mos).

I just didn't realize that everyone with kids didn't live this way.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#7 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Laundry? I prefer that dirty is in the hamper (my 9 year old doesn't understand this one!) and clean is put away. There's a basket next to the fireplace waiting to be folded, but it's not killing me that it's there.

Floors? Main living area/kitchen/dining room, I expect spotless. Vacuumed every day at least. Kid's rooms, full cleaning once a week, cleaned up before bed, vacuumed at least a few times a week.

Dishes? Never left anywhere but the dishwasher. I hate a messy kitchen and can't relax if there's a mess in my kitchen.

Closets? Ummm, they are messy. I try, but I'm so damn busy keeping up my other insane standards that I don't ever get to them. But they aren't in my line of vision all day like everything else so I don't much care.

Bathrooms? Wiped down daily, floor every few days and shower cleaned once a month. My bathroom gets cleaned less because I don't pee all over the damn place.

General clutter? Dining room table is our clutter spot. I go through it every few days and toss/file/straighten. I hate it. Counters and the rest of the tables are clear. The rest of the clutter either goes back to the kid's rooms or in the trash.

It sounds like my house would be really clean, but it's still not up to my standard. My family doesn't like me when it is as clean as I like it, so i live within a range of happy for all of us.
#8 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 PM

My ex called CPS on me vindictively when we separated.

They showed up and my house was not filthy, not cluttered etc, but the woman wanted to create a case for investigation so I was faulted for clean laundry in the dryer
litter box in need of scooping (I did it twice a day)
a 'white substance' on the carpet (baking soda- I'd sprinkled to freshen and was just about to vacuum)

I was bullied and threatened and they *did* take my child in that moment. I had her back by nightfall- and I was issued an apology eventually, but it was a terrible experience, and my house really was not a mess- in any way, shape or form.
#9 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 06:46 PM

what i do in my own home isn't what i expect other families to do. and depending on my mood some stuff in my house isn't how i would like it.
all of what you mentioned wouldn't bug me at all in a friends house. it isn't what i do at my house, but i could care less if that is what happens at someone else's house.
something that would bug me... infested with spiders! lol other then that, i don't really care. i have friends who are super super neat and some that are not. it isn't something i spend alot of time thinking about.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#10 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm not worried about cps exactly, thank god, but I think my idea of what is normal I think is very skewed.

Our floor and counters have food crumbs or spots on them. They do not get wiped/swept/vacuumed everyday. Our bedrooms/bathrooms have clothes on the floor. about half the closets are not usable. (for example, you can't walk into our walk in master closet.). At least one seat on my sofa has stuff on it at any given time. Our clean clothes are in baskets in the master bedroom. I've always been messy, but things have gotten much worse since I went back to work after DS (maybe around 4 months, and then again when I got pregnant around 7-8 mos).

I just didn't realize that everyone with kids didn't live this way.
Speaking for myself, this would drive me absolutely bonkers. Not as the parent of one of our children's playmates, mind you, but as someone who had to live there.

Food attracts vermin and also smells bad, which would bother me. I don't vacuum every day but it takes about 4 seconds to wipe the crumbs off the kitchen counter or blot them up with a damp paper towel or dish rag. Same for things like drabs of mustard or greasy little handprints. If you take care of it right after it happens, it never gets overwhelming. You just have to get into the habit of doing it right then (which is also a valuable skill to teach kids).

Unusable closets--what's the point? I would go in there one Saturday and pull out everything. Then I'd start cataloguing things for a garage sale or a charitable donation. Why keep stuff around if it's cluttering your closets? Obviously you're not using it, so it shouldn't be in the house. Or if it's something you want to store long-term (like heirlooms and such) then you could store it in cheap Rubbermaid bins labeled with masking tape and Sharpie. But just having a bunch of junk piled in closets...no, no, no ack I'm getting anxious just thinking about it!

The clean clothes would bother me because why can't they go into the proper drawers just as easily as a basket? But that's not a hygiene issue like the food or cluttered closets. The sofa seat being occupied would annoy me because I hate clutter but again, not a huge deal as long as it's not something dangerous or gross.

I guess for me, the real dealbreakers would be filth versus mess. Filth is old food, pet feces and urine, months or years' worth of pet hair, nasty bathrooms, mold and mildew, roaches/mice/rats, etc. Mess is just a bunch of random stuff that's not where it belongs. One is unacceptable and I wouldn't let my child play around it; the other is not really my business or problem (but would still drive me insane in my own home).

As for CPS...I'm a cynic, I guess. I feel like no matter how clean your house is, if CPS has it in for you, they're going to find a reason. Certainly not being a slob helps, but I don't think being tidy makes you immune from CPS harassment if you get someone who really wants to make you miserable.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#11 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=peainthepod;15943527]
Food attracts vermin and also smells bad, which would bother me. I don't vacuum every day but it takes about 4 seconds to wipe the crumbs off the kitchen counter or blot them up with a damp paper towel or dish rag. Same for things like drabs of mustard or greasy little handprints. If you take care of it right after it happens, it never gets overwhelming. You just have to get into the habit of doing it right then (which is also a valuable skill to teach kids).

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#12 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Laundry? Mine is either put in baskets or put away- this is my weakest area, really. If it is in baskets though, the basket is on top of the dryer waiting to go be put away, and everything is folded.
Floors? I have kids on the floor constantly. They have to be clean enough to eat off of because- really- they are. So many toys go from the floor to the mouth to the floor to the mouth that I clean them at least daily.
Dishes? No more than a meal's worth in the sink. I try to keep the clean dishes cleared out of the dishwasher, but if i don't get to it right away, I rinse and put dishes in the sink until I can transfer them to the dishwasher.
closets? I clear them out as much as possible. The closet in the master bedroom is full, but that's the only one and that holds *everything* I can't find a better place for. I need to go through it and toss stuff.
Bathrooms? Cleaned daily. I can't *stand* a dirty bathroom.
General clutter? All surfaces must be clear or almost clear. Visual clutter makes me feel claustrophobic.
windows, baseboards Ugh- windows- I need to do more often, same with baseboards. I get to them maybe once a month?

I can't think of anything else, but please include if you have any other dealbreakers.[/QUOTE]
#13 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 PM

I wouldn't care if someone's clean laundry was out. I stash mine in the master bedroom personally, but it rarely gets folded the day it's washed.

I hate crumbs on the floor and on the counter, so I do sweep at least under the table everyday and wipe down the counters, table and chairs.

I don't bat an eye when a few toys are lying around. I usually try to gather them up and put them at the bottom of the stairs to be carried up, but with kids, toys are always getting moved around. Dirty clothes on the floor bother me. I must toss them into a basket in the laundry room.

Dishes get washed the same day or at least rinsed and ready to put in the dishwasher. I don't like dirty dishes strewn around the kitchen. It feels much better when they're all by the sink waiting to be washed.

I try to keep closets somewhat organized, but it's a constant battle. I try to do a major straightening at least once a month.

Bathrooms are deep cleaned at least every other week. During the week, I wipe down the counters if they've gotten yucky (don't like toothpaste, hair and water spots all over the place). Same with toilet, I'll swish it if it needs it.

I've got a couple clutter zones. They bug me and I'm always trying to tame them, but the end of my counter is a paper magnet!

I'm a little weird about baseboards (my own personal thing), but I do wipe them down in the bathrooms when I clean them and every other month or so, I try to wipe down the ones in the rest of the house. My house growing up had years of nasty stuff on them to the point that they couldn't be cleaned even if we'd wanted to. I don't want mine to get that way.

So, these are all my personal standards and I don't really project them on to other people. The only thing that would make me a little reluctant would be clearly unsanitary bathrooms and kitchens.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#14 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
what i do in my own home isn't what i expect other families to do. and depending on my mood some stuff in my house isn't how i would like it.
all of what you mentioned wouldn't bug me at all in a friends house. it isn't what i do at my house, but i could care less if that is what happens at someone else's house.
something that would bug me... infested with spiders! lol other then that, i don't really care. i have friends who are super super neat and some that are not. it isn't something i spend alot of time thinking about.

h
Same here. There's a lot of room between my personal standards and what I would find "unacceptable" for a friend's house. As long as it's a friendly, loving home and there aren't feces or vermin around, I'm cool with my kids playing at a messy house.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#15 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Laundry?dirty is suposed to all go in the laundry pile in the basement and is 90%of the time. clean is often in baskets , but washed and dried, just not put away
Floors? washed /vacuumed everyday. Still never seems clean enugh, but done everyday, with steam cleaner and vacuum
Dishes? usually a days worth rinsed but dirty in sink/beside(no dishwasher)
closets? mostly usable, making good use of tupperware bins
General clutter? big problem with that, I usually have some paper/clutter around my desk area, until filing
windows, baseboards seasonal....only a few times pert year.
With my house having no garbage inside, next to no dirty clothes, clean fed children , my kids were removed by the equivalent of cps. They said clutter alone was unacceptable, one comment was actually I had too much furniture in my living room(hodge podge since I am pretty poor and had two armoire type things in the living room to store electronics and toys and one dresser to store diaper/toiletry baby needs(with three kids I had in diapers at the time. So not only did they have a problem with clutter, but my decorating! (Which mind you, not perfect but functional and the best we could do)

Granted the kids got returned in a week, but that was a very very very long week. So I never feel like my house is good enough now.

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#16 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 08:44 PM

I think the issue is that there really is little recourse if you are targetted for some reason or another.

Also, some places, CPS will fabricate things to create evidence should they need it later. One claim they fabricated against us was that dd had head lice. They did not know that her grandfather is an entomologist. Furthermore, I took her *that day* to a pediatrician to be checked, and she was also cleared of them there.

I think that in the VAST majority of cases it is fair and reasonable, and it is better to err on the side of caution but if you find someone on a power trip, you just have to jump through the hoops.
#17 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
closets? How cluttered can they be? stuffed,
or tidy and usable?
Bathrooms?

I can't think of anything else, but please include if you have any other dealbreakers.
Everything I highlighted is our house to a T.
Bathroom- I wipe out the sink when it is grungy and keep floor clean...often cluttered with bath tub toys etc though.
Any flat surface is fair game for stuff...no matter how hard we try stuff covers things...tables, shelves etc.
Windows....hmmm spring cleaning time
Baseboards...if I see something I wipe it

I don't sweat the small stuff.
I live by my apron "A clean house is a sign of a wasted life"

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#18 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:27 PM

It is interesting what is "normal". I think my home, in comparison to homes I read about, would be deemed spotless and yet, I often feel like it isn't clean enough. I think it's all about perspective - what you grew up with, what you prefer, priorities, etc.
#19 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:38 PM

Good lord, some of you are pretty strict!

At this moment, I have...

-2 loads of clean laundry on the sofa, all folded but not put away
-dinner dishes on the counter
-kitchen floor is a little spotty and a little crumbly from dinner. I typically sweep once a day
-toys are on the floor in the family room
-my sewing stuff is strewn all over the dining room (which we don't actually use, its my craft area)
-bathrooms are reasonably clean
-Kitchen is almost spotless (if you don't consider the dirty dishes from dinner, which was a half hour ago)
-Garbage and recycling are taken out
-Closets are neat

In my defence, or maybe I should say proudly... I homeschool both kids, do the majority of the housework, and we were away all long weekend (Cdn Thanksgiving), got back late yesterday, and were out doing school stuff all day. I haven't been able to catch up.

It would take ALOT to make my radar go up if I was in someone else's house and they were messy. I would have to notice ancient stains/spills that were never wiped, piles of crumbs on the floor, evidence of mice/cockroaches, and a general bad smell of the house that never goes away before I'd be leary.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#20 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Same here. There's a lot of room between my personal standards and what I would find "unacceptable" for a friend's house. As long as it's a friendly, loving home and there aren't feces or vermin around, I'm cool with my kids playing at a messy house.
yeah... I guess I'm kind of wondering what you find unacceptable at a friends house.

I had an aunt growing up whose house was always dirty. Like, I don't want to use the bathroom here dirty. I never thought I would get that bad, but my bathroom kind of looks like that now.

#21 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:55 PM

That's funny, I was just reading that other post thinking the exact same thing! According to that post half the people I know would have cps taking their kids away.

Laundry Always in a state of unfinished-ness. Maybe some clothes on the floor, hamper never empty, sometimes all the clothes are put away.
Floors crumbs frequently, I don't sweep every day , spots here and there that get wiped up sometimes with a kitchen rag on it's way to the laundry
Dishes do them all maybe every other day? Try to rinse them off daily and at least pick them up off the table.
closets don't have any!
Bathrooms picked up, cleaned maybe once a week.
General clutter lots of clutter.
windows, baseboards don't clean too often, we are in the midst of remodel so no baseboards . Windows when they starts looking super grimy.

Now after reading that, many of you may think I'm a total slob, and maybe I am, I'm sure my DP would be happy if it was tidier/cleaner around here. I go through spurts where I will be super cleanly for awhile and then totally slack for awhile. Depending on my state of motivation or depression. I tend to need to see a big mess before I can be sufficiently motivated to clean it up. My mother cannot understand how I ended up like this. I do clean quite well when people are coming over. I would like to have a neat and tidy house like most of you seem to have, but I just can't find it within me. I guess the fact that some parts of the house are not finished yet makes me not want to clean them because they will still look yucky so what's the point? Currently the couch cushions are all over the living room and the train tracks are all over the adjacent room. And I probably won't pick them up before bed because I don't feel like it, they'll just be all over the floor again tomorrow. And don't have the energy to make my 5yo do it.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#22 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 PM

i guess mine would be infested with vermine. although i had a friend who had a mice issue and they always had a clean house. they ended up having to restore everything to keep them out.
i don't know. i have yet to meet someone whose house was so bad i wouldn't visit or let my kids play there. for a a "tidy" house is easier to relax in, but what i consider tidy may not be what others consider tidy. what you described would be fine for me.
right no my house is a bit messy for my taste (for it being MY house) but if i went to someones house that was looking like mine right now i wouldn't even blink an eye.

that is crazy about CPS. goodnight! how can they say you have to have new furniture? i mean you can put food on the table, dress your kids, give them shelter and be a great parent, but they want a nice sofa too? i guess my kids would be gone, our stuff is OLD, some is almost 18 years old. lol (and i am not talking antiques! lol)

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#23 of 90 Old 10-13-2010, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Laundry....I almost always have clean laundry folded in piles on the dining room table. They sit there until each child takes his pile upstairs and as I do laundry almost every day there isalmost always going to be new piles waiting to be put away. There is however very little dirty laundry hanging around!

Bathrooms......I hate scrubbing toilets! I totally ignored them for 2 weeks but scrubbed them yesturday. Normally they are really cleaned once a week. The sinks get wiped down after each use (ha ha ha, yea right!), sorry, they are supposed to be, but boys, you know?...A really good clean once a week and a quick scrub whenever I have time.

Kitchen.....My kitchen is well loved (used). i've at least taught the kids to put dirty dishes above the dishwasher or in the sink. The kids empty the dishwasher every day so thats a controled mess. Hand washing gets done when there is a decent amount so it's worth doing. My counters are spotless and cleaned once a day, but I swear you wouldn't know it!

Closets are organised and tidy, just because we have loads of them.

general clutter....I hate clutter so I go through piles and chuck trash out as often as I can. Kids toys are put into baskets frequently but I don't freak out if there is a pile to be picked up. i also don't freak out if the sofa becomes a fort!

Floors....I have 3 boys, 3 cats and a dog. I vacuum everywhere on the main floor every day, and I swear within 2 hours it looks just as bad as it did before my effort! But then again we have a cheap nasty carpet with stains so that might contribute.

Windows......are done by my 6 yr old. He either cleans them or decorates them. Either way we can still see out of them so I am not worried. Oh, and we practice spelling on them with markers as well.

Baseboards.....I really should teach the kids to clean those one day!
#24 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Bathrooms?
Any one of these things might not bother me. I'm not even sure how to deliniate what would make me uncomfortable, but it would definitely be along the lines of general clutter, if that general clutter looked to me to involve food and dirty stuff lying around.

I absolutely don't care about windows and baseboards. I clean them when I can't ignore them anymore.

Dirty dishes would bother me if I noticed they were habitually left all over the house, and left to sit for long periods of time. Food remnants attract pests of various kinds, and grow mold, and other interesting stuff.

Laundry strewn all over the place would fall under my general clutter category, but would only really bug me if it was obviously dirty.

Don't care about closets. Shove it in and close the door, I'm good.

Floors. Spots and stuff don't bother me. Sticky foodstuff and crumbs all over would, again because food remnants attract icky critters if they're left to sit there.

Bathrooms need to not be filthy.

What I do:
Laundry: usually run it all through once a week. Wash and dry one day, fold and put away the next.
Floors: Vacuum high traffic areas whenever necessary. I *hated* having a carpeted dining room because I *hated* gunk on the floor and with three little kids it was just impossible to avoid. Because I hate gunk on the floor, my kitchen floor is washed once a day, at least.
Dishes: I try to wash after each meal (we dont' have many dishes to begin with). If I can't, all dirty dishes go into the dishpan in the sink and get washed the next meal.
Closets: No clutter. We try to keep a minimum of stuff, so they mostly just have clothes in them.
Bathrooms: Wipe down sink and toilet daily (takes 30 seconds). Scrub out tub when it's grimy. If I get behind, I take the time on Saturday to just get it deep cleaned.
General clutter: Makes me anxious and cranky, I try to avoid it.
Windows/baseboards: I ignore them.

ETA: I have met a few people whose houses I would not want my children running free in. One family had several hoarders, and loooved to organize and constantly try to make it "more homey" but it was difficult to walk through, very dusty, had vermin issues, and I always walked out feeling itchy and jumpy. I loved the family. But wouldn't be able to take my kids there. We also used to have neighbors, and the one time they invited us to their house it was very hard to be comfortable. They had cats and the smell was overwhelming, hair all.over.everything and again I was extremely anxious and physically uncomfortable. They were the opposite of hoarders, there was very little *stuff* in the house but while it looked tidy it was smelly, and surfaces were very grimey and sticky.
#25 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 AM

My home has to pass licensing inspection for daycare....

Laundry? I do a load of laundry every day. So everyday until naptime there is a load of laundry waiting to be folded and put away on my bed. But it's only one load and it gets put away at naptime. There is also always a load in the washer and a load in the dryer. I cycle everything through once every morning.
Floors? floors in the main living areas and kitchen get vacuumed or swept once a day, and spot cleaned as things are spilled. They get mopped once a week.
Dishes? Never more than one meal's worth of dishes in the sink.....usually it's just pans because I empty the dishwasher everymorning while I make breakfast and pack lunches...then dirties get added as the day goes along and I wash pans and turn the dishwasher on before bed.
closets? Out of sight out of mind, lol. They get tidied up once per season usually.
Bathrooms toilets and sinks are wiped down daily. Mirrors cleaned once a week, tub/shower once a month (I have a spray that gets misted after every shower to keep it clean).
General clutter? kitchen table is decluttered daily so we can eat meals there. dresser tops and nightstands get pretty bad, LMAO
windows, baseboards windows and window coverings get cleaned once per season. Baseboards are the same, also behind the fridge and vacuum the fridge coils.

My garage????don't even go there...

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#26 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 01:39 AM

Our house is kept pretty clean (not always neat, but always clean), but certainly not by any sort of Martha Stewart (or my MIL!) standards.

I stay pretty on top of the kitchen. There are often a few dishes in the sink, but we use a lot - I do dishes about 3 times a day. I constantly wipe down counters, but if you catch us at the wrong moment it could look pretty bad. I sweep the floors usually once a day, vacuum every few days, dust once a week or so.

Bathrooms are usually pretty good. Sometimes the kids have done something yucky in the sink I haven't seen yet, but otherwise I try to wipe down the sink and counter every day. Toilets get cleaned when they are starting to look unclean, but never are they filthy or stained.

We often have stacks of folded, clean laundry in the appropriate bedroom waiting to get put away, but never ever dirty laundry spread around. We use hampers.

There will often be toys on the floors, but I usually have the kids pick up when they are done, or I pick up in the evening. We have a rec room downstairs, however, that does look like a toy chest exploded.

There is often a small pile of papers/magazines on either the kitchen island or the dining room table, but otherwise I don't let too much junk accumulate. My office is kind of a paper disaster right now though, and I would be seriously embarassed to have anyone see it.

There have been two instances of a friend's house (two different friends) being too dirty for us to hang out in, and both times it was pretty bad. Really old crusty dishes all over the place, dirty floors, pet hair, overflowing litter boxes, dirty laundry scattered all about, etc. I just can't deal with that. I don't care if your house is messy, and your mirrors don't have to sparkle, but if it's getting grungy or smelly or food/pet messy, then I'm probably going to avoid coming over.

As far as CPS, I'm assuming it has a lot to do with the individual caseworker and circumstances.
#27 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
If it must sit around for a day (like today when we just got back and had 4 loads to do in a day), it's in baskets in the master bedroom. At least out of view of company.

Quote:
I have a shedding dog and 2 kids. Generally this means no crumbs, but some dog fur. I aim for sweep once a day, but it's really once every other. Toys are fine during the day, but must be put away by bedtime.

Quote:
Dishes are also gathered by the end of the day, but nothing other than water is allowed out of the dining room/kitchen other than a rare treat to eat snack in the living room or breakfast in bed. Dishes can be dirty and in the sink during the day. They go in the dishwasher by nightfall. I LIKE to empty in the morning and load throughout the day, but I'm working toward that as a habit.

Quote:
How many closets are there? I need some space to work with day to day. But if there's closet space and drawer/office space available for what needs to be put away, then if other closets are cluttered/packed with storage, so what?

Quote:
Bathrooms?
Clean. But as I keep telling the kids "The bathroom is NOT a playspace. You have the whole apartment to play in." There's some kid drawings in bath crayon on the shower walls. It'll wash off, but I don't mind if it stays a few days.

Quote:
We have clutter spots--top of the bookcase, office desk top, closet under the stairs. I don't think any are too bad though I need to clear them out. It isn't days of work for me. Kitchen table and counters are an "every night" chore here.

Quote:
We're in a highrise, so windows get done by the building about 1/year. You can't do them yourself. Baseboards I try to do 1/month or so. DD thinks it's fun to run a baby wipe over them, so sometimes they're clean when the floor is not.

I can't think of anything else, but please include if you have any other dealbreakers.[/QUOTE]

I only base playdate situations on things related to safety-- drug-addict or drunk, hoarded objects that could be choking or falling hazards, unsecured guns or dangerous objects, chemicals/dangerous chemicals unsecured and/or used right next to young children or potential sexual predators/abusers/some definitely major issue. Or it would have to involve feces other than "the dog had an accident and we just discovered it less than 10 minutes ago;" typical kitty litter changed daily-ish; or baby/toddler diaper accident less than 10 minutes ago.

I refuse to visit or have visit us anyone using the CIO method actively at the time they are visiting. (Yes, it's happened. SMILs relative expected me to listen to her tiny infant scream herself to sleep in a dark room, replete with puking." ) That's unacceptable!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#28 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
The way my house looks really varies during the course of the day/week. For example, the kitchen gets totally cleaned before bedtime. The dishwasher gets loaded and started, anything that needs to be washed by hand gets washed, the counter tops all get wiped down, and the trash is taken out. But at any given moment during the day it could be totally trashed in there!! I try to keep it up, but...........

As far a friend's house, I'm pretty mellow. I think it should be uncluttered enough that the kids have space to play and clean enough so that I don't feel like my kids are at risk from eating a snack or needing to use the bathroom. I've only ever walked into one home and felt that it was "too bad." There wasn't any place to sit and it smelled wierd (like a lot of bad smells had merged together).

But a little laundry on the couch wouldn't upset me, even though I NEVER leave laundry on the couch. I have 2 dogs and a cat -- it would get covered with pet hair!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#29 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 03:48 AM

Laundry? Leaving clean laundry on the couch for days seems really weird for me. Maybe because I either sort it as I take it out of the dryer, or do it on my bed. Sometimes it spends a few days on the armchair in my bedroom before it all makes its way again (particularly if I'm sorting during naptime and don't want to go into my kids rooms, and then forget until I go to bed, when again I don't want to go into their rooms, and sometimes it takes a day or two until I remember at a time when everyone is awake!). But why on earth would you have piles of laundry on your couch? Maybe I just have a small couch, but couches are for sitting on, not for laundry hampers.
Floors? No animal feces or dead animals, please. I live in an old house with wood floors and dust bunnies are a way of life. I think it would have to be a tumbleweed-bunny before I raised an eyebrow at someone else's house.
Dishes? In the sink. If they're overflowing onto the counters, it's time to do the dishes. Or at least stack them more efficiently in the sink. Dirty dishes should be out of sight out of mind imo
closets? I'm not sure it's ever even occured to me to poke into someone else's closets to see what they look like.
Bathrooms? No visible green mold, please.
General clutter? I like seeing clutter in other people's houses, because it makes me feel better about my own That said, I'd like there to be a place on the table or counter for me to put my drink. And I'd like to not have to worry about walking through a room without knocking over your piles.
windows, baseboards etc? I'm not sure I understand the question. "Clean" "windows"? What is this of which you speak?

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#30 of 90 Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 AM

We're selling our house right now, so I keep up with it a little better than usual .

Laundry ~ I hate to fold, so there are usually unfolded baskets on the floor in the laundry room. When we show the house, I put them in the trunk of the car . But once they are folded (every 3 days or so), I put them right away.

Floors ~ swept daily, mopped/vacuumed 1x a week at least

Dishes ~ always done. I HATE having dirty dishes in the sink. DH is totally compulsive about this too. He likes the sink sparkling white and does a better job on it than I ever could

Closets ~ organized, clean. But I have a huge storage unit rented right now to store all the crap that used to fall out of them before we put the house on the market! Buyers DO look in closets (and medicine cabinets, and refrigerators, and in under sink cabinets).

Bathrooms ~ wiped down every day, cleaned 1x a week

Clutter ~ I have a large wheeled rubbermaid thing with 4 drawers. ALL paper goes in there, so I have no clutter. Just don't look in the white thing .

Windows/baseboards ~ I vacuum baseboards when I vacuum floors. Windows get cleaned when my Mom visits, because I don't do windows and she loves to! Actually, I do clean the sliding door windows daily because they get really fingerprinty and cat-nosey.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page