Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   The Mindful Home (http://www.mothering.com/forum/311-mindful-home/)
-   -   White Spots on Laundry After Borax & Washing Soda (http://www.mothering.com/forum/311-mindful-home/1271036-white-spots-laundry-after-borax-washing-soda.html)

CageFreeFamily 10-13-2010 11:08 PM

Hi, I washed my coat this afternoon, and when I took it out it had white spots all over it. I tried to wash it again, but this made no difference. I tried to scrub them off with a hot washrag... no difference. It's almost like the spots are bleached.

I added either Borax or Washing Soda (I can't remember which) to the washer after it had filled with the water and the coat was added and soaked through. After I added the powder I swished everything around to make sure that any powder that might have stuck to the fabric was dispensed to the water.

Is there anything that I can do to get these spots out? What caused this? I've never had spots on anything else I've washed, and I've never actually been so careful about mixing the powder into the water. I usually just dump it in on the clothes as the water is filling the tub.

Help!!

UberMama 10-17-2010 06:42 AM

Did Google give you any ideas? I'm not sure how to get the spots OUT now.. but..

With anything, when I use powder, I HAVE to do this - start filling washer, add in powder early on, let fill 3/4 of the way and then put clothes in. This gives it time for the powder to dissolve and not chunk up. We bought Kirkland powder recently and found that if we're doing a large load, we have to use at least warm water or it won't dissolve. (I'm too lazy to take the soap back)

Did it only get spots on the inside or outside of the coat? What is the shell made of?

CageFreeFamily 10-17-2010 11:47 PM

There shouldn't have been any clumps in there, though I did wash it on cold. I've never had trouble with this before, and I usually don't even take as much care as I did this time. Usually I just dump the washing soda or borax directly on the dry clothes then start the water running.

The coat has spots only on the exterior which is made of corduroy. There was another coat in there, made of some synthetic water resistant fabric, but it didn't have any spots on it.

I googled for a while, but couldn't find anything.

coyotemist 10-18-2010 03:11 PM

"Melt" the soap with hot water for a minute before switching to cold and adding the laundry. Whenever I have this issue (and it's always when the weather is colder for some reason...maybe because the water is colder, it comes from the well storage tank which is above ground) this is how I fix it and then switch back to adding the powder whenever in spring.

elfo 08-31-2011 06:55 AM

I realize that this thread is quite old but did you ever find a way to get the marks off of the coat? 

I ask because I have just had a similar experience and would really appreciate any help that you have to offer. 

Cheers