cell phone vs cordless phone - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're trying to cut back on some of our monthly expenses, and dh says that he thinks an easy one to cut is our land line and just use our cell phones. Are cell phones safe to talk on for an hour or more at a time? I can talk for quite a long time to my mom and sister Are they any safer than cordless phones, since that's all we have in our house?

I couldn't find any information in the quick internet search I did comparing the safety of cell vs cordless phones. Anyone know if they are about the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Safety aside, I don't find it comfortable to use a cell phone for a long period of time. For long calls I would just use Skype on the computer with a headset.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#3 of 6 Old 10-25-2010, 09:56 PM

We only have cell phones and I use the speaker phone feature a lot when I'm talking to Mom. An added bonus is that I can juggle the baby easier while I talk and my 2 year old can join the conversation too.
#4 of 6 Old 10-26-2010, 08:41 AM

I agree about using speakerphone. My hands go numb after just a couple minutes holding any phone to my face, and I recently read articles and heard some discussions on NPR, involving insiders to the industry, and these folks limit their own and their kids' use of the cells to an hour a day or less. And they use the speaker option whenever possible.

When my dh is away, we like to use Yahoo messenger and do video conversation. It's nice for the children to see their father and make faces at him.
#5 of 6 Old 10-26-2010, 11:08 AM

We don't have a landline and we haven't had one for several years now. I use the speaker-phone feature for extended periods of time. I've been thinking about getting a bluetooth thingamajig.
#6 of 6 Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I suggested eliminating the landline in order to save costs. DH did the math and decided that we would do fairly well by going with one of the bundles for landline, internet and satellite t.v. that we were offered. I'm still not entirely convinced that we need a landline. Almost no one calls it except telemarketers. Right now, I'm satisfied that we have a pretty low cost option. We don't have the extras though, like call waiting etc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page