PLEASE help me explain this- freaky and gross - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 10-29-2010, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm moving somewhere they don't have rats.

Oh, wait.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#32 of 56 Old 10-29-2010, 02:19 PM

yeahwhat, yep. there is really only water in one bend of pipe, so that it keeps sewer smells from coming in.

bri, rats flee a sinking ship, right? is that the only place to be safe from them? can anyone thing of another place? maybe Antarctica?

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#33 of 56 Old 10-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Well, at least I have two cats. We used to live in a duplex that had a really old dirt basement, and it was infested. We'd come up the driveway at night and our headlights would shine on the rat's eyes. Poison worked with only limited success- but we never saw a rat or even dropping anywhere in the living areas of the house and I credit the two cats to that, not because they killed any but because the rats knew they were there and stayed out of their way.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#34 of 56 Old 10-29-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post
When will I ever learn that no matter how curious I am it is never worth it to highlight the text!!
sorry!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#35 of 56 Old 10-30-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
yeahwhat, yep. there is really only water in one bend of pipe, so that it keeps sewer smells from coming in.

bri, rats flee a sinking ship, right? is that the only place to be safe from them? can anyone thing of another place? maybe Antarctica?
The province of Alberta (Canada) prides itself on not having rats within its borders. Don't ask me how, given that as far as I know there are rats in the provinces on either side, but a *big* deal is made of this status.

Wiki says: Alberta is the only province in Canada—as well as one of the few places in the world—that is free of Norwegian rats.[13] Since the early 1950s, the government of Alberta has operated a rat-control program, which has been so successful that only isolated instances of wild rat sightings are reported, usually of rats arriving in the province aboard trucks or by rail. In 2006, Alberta Agriculture reports zero findings of wild rats; the only rat interceptions have been domesticated rats that have been seized from their owners. It is illegal for individual Albertans to own or keep Norwegian rats of any description; the animals can be kept in the province by only zoos, universities and colleges, and recognized research institutions. In 2009, several rats were found and captured, in small pockets in Southern Alberta,[14] putting Alberta's rat-free status in jeopardy.

I live in Yukon (Canada) and can only find references to pet rats in the territory. Wiki does say that rats do not live in the antarctic or arctic, but I'm not sure if they mean here or not - I'm about 7 hours south of the arctic circle, and so it's generally officially considered to be 'subarctic'.

Erica
#36 of 56 Old 10-30-2010, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Mko View Post
I heard a story on NPR about a rat that did swim up from the sewer into someone's toilet.

Freaky stuff!
We had some uncapped pipe to the sewer when we moved in and are pretty sure that's how we got a rat. Haven't had one since capping the pipe 30 years ago.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#37 of 56 Old 10-30-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
glad I had my grass-fed, raw lamb's liver in my smoothie this morning.
Are you serious? I'm going to have to get that. Where do you get yours? Would it be available frozen?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#38 of 56 Old 10-30-2010, 06:38 PM

Yeah, rats will bite you while you sleep. My mom was in a work camp during WWII, and the rats would run over their beds and bite her and her sisters at night.
#39 of 56 Old 10-30-2010, 10:03 PM

My mother and I temporarily lived in a place (about 5 days). After we moved out, she said she woke up and saw a packrat tugging at my hair. She didn't tell me because she didn't want me to freak out. (I was in my late twenties - we had gotten together for "grand adventures, which we had.) Lest anyone freak out, I need to point out that the house was in the country, had not been lived in, and was far from finished. It also had a skunk that would come in at night. I heard it and went into the bathroom. It was in the bathtub and was not happy about me being in its house.

Cats and, I understand, rat terriers are good animals to have around. Because cats are not friendly to their prey, rodents learn to stay away from areas where cat smell is.

I would leave a small light on in the bathroom at night. If it freaks you or your children out to think of a rat/mouse in the toilet, perhaps you could keep a stick there to rap on the lid before you open it (assuming you keep the top lid closed).
#40 of 56 Old 11-03-2010, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post

It is bad eough I have to dodge legos and possible cat puke during the night. Now I have to think about something biting me on the behind.

no kidding huh? now i'm all freaked out and will be squatting to pee. at least my quads will thank me in a few weeks.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#41 of 56 Old 11-03-2010, 11:17 PM

It sounds like you'd be safe if you had a septic tank.
#42 of 56 Old 11-04-2010, 02:09 PM

What about if the toilet is on the second floor?

#43 of 56 Old 11-04-2010, 04:24 PM

We've had issues with mice. We lived in an old townhouse with hollow walls. Rat poison was the preferred method of control in the area. The houses were connected and if you didn't put out poison your neighbours would.

My understanding is the rat poison makes mice and rats thirsty. We tended to find the dead or dying mice near water. We never found one in the toilet, but a disproportionate number were in or near the second floor bathroom or near the laundry tub in the basement.

My vote is that the mouse climbed into the toilet.

PS : I've been afraid to read this thread, but curiosity eventually got the better of me.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#44 of 56 Old 11-04-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
What about if the toilet is on the second floor?
Sorry, not high enough. What prompted the plumber to tell dh about rats climbing through sewer pipes was yet another early morning call about a rat in a toilet, this time the toilet of a second floor apartment building.
#45 of 56 Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 AM

Ever since reading this thread, I make sure to look in the toilet before I use it. Even at night, I flick the light on for a sec to check.

#46 of 56 Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Ever since reading this thread, I make sure to look in the toilet before I use it. Even at night, I flick the light on for a sec to check.
Oh, we should design and market toilet seats with a soft glowing light shining into the bowl! It would also be helpful for those times when the guys don't put down the seats...

Oh here's something similar already...http://www.johnny-light.com/

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#47 of 56 Old 11-05-2010, 02:09 PM

We have a policy in our house that everyone closes the toilet all the way. That way nothing will fall in, and dirty water will not be evaporating and floating all over. They say you should close the lid before flushing anyway, to prevent drips from being propelled into the room. So that is what we do. Close it all the way then flush. Then everyone, male and female alike, have to open it when they need to use it and close it when they are done.

#48 of 56 Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
We have a policy in our house that everyone closes the toilet all the way. That way nothing will fall in, and dirty water will not be evaporating and floating all over. They say you should close the lid before flushing anyway, to prevent drips from being propelled into the room. So that is what we do. Close it all the way then flush. Then everyone, male and female alike, have to open it when they need to use it and close it when they are done.
We do the same thing. When I was about 12 or so, something glass fell into the toilet bowl, broke, and clogged it up. Ever since then, the rule was "lid down" and I taught that to my kids.
#49 of 56 Old 11-06-2010, 12:00 AM

yeah rodents will come near you while you sleep. when i was preg with ds2 I woke up to a mouse squeaking cause it got caught in my really long hair. it was horrible! it was dark and i had to get it unstuck but didn't want it down the back of my shirt either then i didn't know where it went.I then found it next to the mattress on the platform that holds the mattress right near sleeping ds1. i couldn't sleep in the bed for a week and I totally booby trapped the bed with mousetraps,peppermint oil etc. I still had a hard time falling asleep for a long long time every tug on my hair by sleeping fingers or a baby twitching I was like ahh a mouse! lights! lights!
#50 of 56 Old 11-06-2010, 12:18 AM

For sure, farmergirl. It's freaky.
#51 of 56 Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Random, growing up we had a long mirror along the wall behind the toilet and sink, and it had a ledge at the bottom. The ideal place for keeping hair brushes. All it took was one time that one fell into the toilet, and it became the rule forever to keep it closed.

#52 of 56 Old 11-06-2010, 06:55 PM

Yep, Lady Lilya, I can identify with that.
#53 of 56 Old 11-06-2010, 07:33 PM

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#54 of 56 Old 11-06-2010, 07:46 PM

When my mom was a kid, she slept on the upper floor of a 2-story house. There were rats (not mice) in the attic and they would crawl along the beams that made up the division between attic and the top floor. No ceiling between the two.

Anyway, when they got hungry enough, the rats would literally jump down from the attic beams into the kids beds and sometimes take a chomp... mom has a scar on her toe from where a rat tried to eat her.

Personally, I'd be setting out rat traps, but be careful where you put them. I found an old rat trap when I was little and set it.. and later I accidentally stepped on it and broke my foot.

--K
#55 of 56 Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Time to get cats.
#56 of 56 Old 11-07-2010, 06:07 AM

I have something new to obsessively worry about--rats in the toilet. That must have been so awful. When I was in college, I lived in a tiny bungalow complete with rats. One ran RIGHT on top my bare feet one night when I was standing on the back porch (I was blocking his exit apparently), and I've never been the same since. Shivers.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page