PLEASE help me explain this- freaky and gross - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm freaking out here. If I have some kind of a reasonable explanation I'll be able to sleep at night.

This am I woke up and my 5 yo said he had to pee really bad but there was something big and moving all around in the toilet. I thought he meant a moth or centipede fell in, bugs commonly seen in our house! So I went to check and there was a either a huge MOUSE or small RAT swimming in our toilet!!!!!! :Puke Seriously, I'm so ill right now. My dh had to fish it out and I'm on the edge of vomiting thinking of HOW on earth it got in there.

I don't see any signs of rodent infestation in our house- we had mice 6 yrs ago and ever since I'm super alert for mouse droppings, and I haven't seen anything. The only thing that seems remotely possible is that it's raining heavily- did it somehow swim up the sewer pipes and end up in our toilet? Can rats hold thier breath that long?? It wasn't half-dead as if it had been swimming long, it was paddling pretty energetically as if it had just happened. Could a rat or mouse climb UP the toilet and fall in?? Somehow get on TOP of the toilet and drop in? Climb up the bathtub and JUMP a foot over? I just don't see how it's possible or where it would have come from- there are no other surfaces nearby it could have climbed up- everything around the toilet is porcelain and slippery. No holes to climb through in the bathroom.

I have to find some way to explain this or I'm going to be freaking out all night thinking of mysterious rats dropping down from nowhere onto my or the kids' beds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 12:39 PM

Actually, the whole bucket of water trick is a common one used to catch rodents. Get a deep bucket, fill it a 1/3 of the way with water, and set it in the middle of a room, RV or basement. When its quiet, and the rodent is thirsty, they jump into the bucket for a drink, but then drown because they cant get back out again.

The rodent in your case was probably able to just keep itself above water with half the amount of effort because a toilet bowl is pretty shallow. But I am sorry to say, it probably jumped up for a drink and fell in, it did NOT swim up from the sewer. You would be surprised how high they can jump.

Dont worry about them crawling into bed with you. They wont come near you. They will scatter at the sound of your movement. I would advise getting some traps and setting them up around the house. Its super easy for just one to set up shop in your basement or crawlspace for the winter, esepcially if you live in an area that has some recent disturbance of soil due to building.

They have humane traps at Home depot and Lowes.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 PM

I saw a study where they fed rats different diets and then had them tread water. The rats on the normal diet could do it for about 15 minutes. The rats fed b-vitamins did about 2 hours. The rats fed raw grass-fed liver were still going strong hours later when the researchers finally got tired of waiting and took them out.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:44 PM

glad I had my grass-fed, raw lamb's liver in my smoothie this morning.

Another vote for "didn't likely swim up from the sewer." THey can make themselves VERY flat. They don't need a hole, they just need a crack that will accommodate their skull.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
You would be surprised how high they can jump.
YES!!!!! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen if myself!!!!!

Center
Old 10-27-2010, 01:52 PM

http://www.cracked.com/article_18806...ue-part-4.html

Check out #5. To anybody who reads this... I'm sorry in advance.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This whole thread is grossing me out.LOL When I was little and we lived in Hawaii, my mom said she went to pee at midnight and saw a rat in the toilet. Us as kids never knew, she didnt tell us, cos we would freak. She JUST told me this like last month.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 PM

How gross for you OP.

(yet I'm very impressed with healthy rat's abilities to tread water - at least it wasn't one of those in the toilet. . . )
Old 10-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
But I am sorry to say, it probably jumped up for a drink and fell in, it did NOT swim up from the sewer.
I heard a story on NPR about a rat that did swim up from the sewer into someone's toilet.

Freaky stuff!

Live and love with your whole being.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Mko View Post
I heard a story on NPR about a rat that did swim up from the sewer into someone's toilet.

Freaky stuff!
As disgusting and cringe worthy as that is, Im sure its the exception, not the rule.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Dont worry about them crawling into bed with you. They wont come near you. They will scatter at the sound of your movement.
Not true! I had a friend who woke up in the middle of the night one night with one on her pillow about a foot from her face!

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Old 10-27-2010, 04:18 PM

do you have any pets? I had a friend growing up who's cat would regularly bring them mice and put them in the toilet.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 PM

It is bad eough I have to dodge legos and possible cat puke during the night. Now I have to think about something biting me on the behind.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 10-27-2010, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We found a rat in the toilet once. I always assumed it swam up. It was when I was in college and living at home, and my mom and I freaked out and stacked dictionaries on top of the toilet lid, and when we looked about half an hour later it was gone. There were no wet little rat footprints on the toilet seat or in the bathroom, so the only thing that could have happened (other than my mom and I completely hallucinating the whole thing ) was that it swam away.

Don't people who live in places like Louisiana sometimes get baby alligators and the like in their toilets? I thought it wasn't that uncommon for critters to swim up from the sewer.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
We found a rat in the toilet once. I always assumed it swam up. It was when I was in college and living at home, and my mom and I freaked out and stacked dictionaries on top of the toilet lid, and when we looked about half an hour later it was gone. There were no wet little rat footprints on the toilet seat or in the bathroom, so the only thing that could have happened (other than my mom and I completely hallucinating the whole thing ) was that it swam away.

Don't people who live in places like Louisiana sometimes get baby alligators and the like in their toilets? I thought it wasn't that uncommon for critters to swim up from the sewer.
But there is still a crack in most toilets between the lid and the actual bowl. If the crack is large enough, and the rat's skull is small enough, it can fit through. Rats and mice can flatten their bodies to the width of their skull.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
But there is still a crack in most toilets between the lid and the actual bowl. If the crack is large enough, and the rat's skull is small enough, it can fit through. Rats and mice can flatten their bodies to the width of their skull.
Yes, but as I said there would have been water somewhere in the bathroom wherever the rat landed and scurried away. There wasn't, we checked.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 10-27-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtYourCervices View Post
http://www.cracked.com/article_18806...ue-part-4.html

Check out #5. To anybody who reads this... I'm sorry in advance.
I was gonna post this. In the NPR story they mention, the people they talked to said that there's not water in the entire plumbing system, so the rat/mouse/critter only actually has to hold their breath for a second or so. Pretty creepy!

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

UGH that's not what I was hoping to hear! Somehow I'm more comforted (if that's possible) to think it swam up due to the rain. I can't even read that article or whatever it is.

uggggggggggg and about 20 feet from our house has been a huge construction site for 1 1/2 yrs but they finished a month or so ago. Weird that if that were related, we haven't seen any creatures until now, when the construction is over.

So could we have rats with no other evidence? No droppings anywhere? And if ONE was caught, does that mean many generations have set up house in our walls?

We only have a dog and no cats.

I'm totally sickened and grossed out and scared. I just want there to be some other explanation than that we have a rodent infestation!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

and if we just caught the one, does that mean we need to start full-on pest control measures?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 PM

I'm not sure where you are, but here it's the time of year where it's starting to get cold and critters will try to come inside to warm up.

We always catch rodents in our house this time of year, and not at all the rest of the year, so I know they're coming in from outside and not setting up shop on a permanent basis.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 PM

Yeah, definetly just jumped in... Up till this spring we had a constant (small) leak in one water line in a closet. For, oh, 26 *YEARS* my dad simply kept a 5 gallon bucket underneath that he occasionally emptied... and there was quite frequently a dead mouse in it "It was a great mouse trap!" he once told me We had our bathroom redone this spring an while they were here the plumber's fixed the leak SO, no more bucket in the closet
Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 PM

And, on a side note, that article on cracked.com is freaking craazy.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 PM

As a mom of a potty learning toddler, my first thought was "hope her ds was able to find someplace okay to pee." But I guess a 5 year old can hold it longer.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:36 PM

I grew up on a farm and frequently saw rats drowned in the horses' water buckets. :Puke

But about two weeks ago we saw a WASP inside my bedroom toilet. Luckily, it was daytime and I happened to look before I sat down. Now, I always turn on the light and look!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Guess. what. Last night I obsessively checked all the floorboards in the rooms to check for rodent droppings, and instead I found some kind of larvae under our beds. DH looked it up today and WE HAVE BEDBUGS!!!!!!!!! I'm so horrified. Maybe the rat/mouse was a blessing in disguise b/c with how crazy my life is right now I never would have looked so closely at the floors and it would have gone on even longer undetected. So now we have to have major operations to figure out how to eradicate these, if that's even possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
As a mom of a potty learning toddler, my first thought was "hope her ds was able to find someplace okay to pee." But I guess a 5 year old can hold it longer.
Awwwww, that is so sweet! This morning he was up, and asked me if he was allowed to go to the bathroom this morning because he had been holding it. Poor thing.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 PM

Before you freak out, check and see if they might be carpet beetles.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 10-29-2010, 12:29 AM

just to weigh in on the rat swimming in the sewer thing, I used to live in Tacoma, WA and this is common-ish there. It never happened to me, but its certainly not unheard of.

and as far as a rat not bothering you in your bed, and this is not suitable for most people so I will post it in a hard to read color. just highlight it if you want to read something really really disturbing.
a friend of mine had her baby sleeping in a crib in another room and she heard him crying and when she finally went in, a rat had been gnawing on his face. just another reason not to CIO i guess..

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
just to weigh in on the rat swimming in the sewer thing, I used to live in Tacoma, WA and this is common-ish there. It never happened to me, but its certainly not unheard of.

and as far as a rat not bothering you in your bed, and this is not suitable for most people so I will post it in a hard to read color. just highlight it if you want to read something really really disturbing.
a friend of mine had her baby sleeping in a crib in another room and she heard him crying and when she finally went in, a rat had been gnawing on his face. just another reason not to CIO i guess..
This is making me FREAK OUT!!! Our DS has always (and still does) sleep with us, so never in that situation, but my kid is at daycare right now and this story makes me want to go over there and kiss his cheeks!! (Luckily his Halloween parade is in an hour so I can do just that.) When will I ever learn that no matter how curious I am it is never worth it to highlight the text!!

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
Old 10-29-2010, 01:09 PM

Without me even mentioning this post, dh was talking to our plumber yesterday, who was telling him that rats do climb up waste pipes and get into toilets. Especially at this time of year when it's starting to get cold. They only have to hold their breath briefly to go around the water trap in the toilet. Most of the pipe is empty most of the time, especially at night when no one's washing dishes, hands, showering, doing laundry, flushing toilets, etc for hours at a time.

User Tag List