organic/natural mattress that won't break the bank!?!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

now that we have #2 coming along in feb. we need to move ds into a twin bed so we can use the organic crib mattress that he has in his toddler bed for #2. geesh i forgot how expensive the organic mattress is! i know some of the regular mattress brands are making their own "green" versions. anyone tried any of these? finding something under $500 sure would be nice!!!

#2 of 4 Old 12-09-2010, 01:24 AM

after a lot of struggle with this, we went with an ikea sultan erfjord.

We love it!  It's super comfy, it had no offgassing, and we're comfortable with the materials. We slept on it the first night we got it and opened the bag and it had no smell at all. It's 700 for a twin (we got a queen for 900), which is a bit more, but compared to most latex mattresses, that's very affordable.

It's 85% natural latex, 15% synthetic latex, with wool "fireproofing", and a cotton liner.  I highly recomend it.  a 100% natural latex bed would be nice, but it would cost twice as much, or more.

My ONLY complaint (and it's terribly minor) is that it is a real PITA to move.  It's floppy, unlike a mattress with springs, which makes it hugely difficult to move. particularly since our last apartment was a third floor walk up. and our new apartment we'll hopefully be moving into soon is reached through a muddy backyard... yikes!  I imagine a twin would be MUCH easier to move than a queen.  for someone who expects to move around a good bit more before settling down, it's a challenge, but worth it.

star thistle likes this.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#3 of 4 Old 12-14-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post

after a lot of struggle with this, we went with an ikea sultan erfjord.

We love it!  It's super comfy, it had no offgassing, and we're comfortable with the materials. We slept on it the first night we got it and opened the bag and it had no smell at all. It's 700 for a twin (we got a queen for 900), which is a bit more, but compared to most latex mattresses, that's very affordable.

It's 85% natural latex, 15% synthetic latex, with wool "fireproofing", and a cotton liner.  I highly recomend it.  a 100% natural latex bed would be nice, but it would cost twice as much, or more.

My ONLY complaint (and it's terribly minor) is that it is a real PITA to move.  It's floppy, unlike a mattress with springs, which makes it hugely difficult to move. particularly since our last apartment was a third floor walk up. and our new apartment we'll hopefully be moving into soon is reached through a muddy backyard... yikes!  I imagine a twin would be MUCH easier to move than a queen.  for someone who expects to move around a good bit more before settling down, it's a challenge, but worth it.

This is what we purchased when we replaced our family bed. We absolutely love it, but it was definitely a challenge getting a King size bed up to our second story bedroom. lol.gif

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys
#4 of 4 Old 12-15-2010, 12:49 PM

We got this latex mattress for dd from Organic Grace.  It's a bit pricier than you said you wanted, but there's a 10% off code right now.   holiday10

Mama to Paisley (3/07) & Violet (12/10) and wife to my Piggy-love. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page