How warm do you keep your house, and how can you stand the cold? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The last 6 winters we've kept the heat at 62 at night, 68 during the day, and that feels uncomfortably cold to me. I hate being cold.  My prized possessions right now are my thick alpaca socks and real sheepskin slippers.  If you buy wool socks, 2 good pairs should be enough.  You can wear them 2 days in a row.  I wear wool long underwear, and lots of layers.  LL Bean, Sierra Trading Post, and Lands' End are all having sales on long underwear now.  A hat helps a lot.  Layer, layer, layer.  We use an electric blanket to warm up the bed before we get in, and it's fabulous.  When you start to feel cold, get up and move around if you can, really do some exercise.  Sweep the floors, scrub the counters, clean the windows.  

It sounds like you don't have central heat in the basement, just whatever comes down from upstairs?  There's only so much you can do to keep that warm. But if there are drafts anywhere, block them.  A rolled up towel works on window sills and doors, and they're easy to wash.

#32 of 59 Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 AM

I have Raynaud's, too, and we keep our house at 67 when we're awake and 61 at night this time of the year.  (By the end of winter, we'll have worked back to 65 during the day and 58 at night.) Weekdays, the thermostat is set to 58 during the day, and I work from home 2 of those days but I've only ever seen it get down below 63. Even with Raynaud's it is totally doable for me as long as I am careful.

It seems to me, the trick is to keep the house dry and never,ever let yourself get chilled. Keeping the house dry isn't hard in our climate this time of year (I'm just about an hour north of you) - just don't run a humidifier in the house. As for keeping warm and not getting chilled, tea is your friend. :) I almost always have a mug of coffee, tea, or cocoa in my hand this time of year. For some reason cocoa seems to raise my body temp more than the tea or coffee - I reserve that for when I'm starting to get chilled and need to warm up fast. Tea and coffee work as maintenance drinks. I wear silk long underwear with clothes over. I have a cardigan I can throw on if I start to feel chilly. There are blankets/throws all over the house, so if we're sitting, we have a throw over us. I always have wool socks or slippers on in the house. Sometimes I'll wear a wool cap in the house, but not often. Lastly, I just keep moving. The more active you are, the warmer you'll be. If I do get chilled, I hop in a hot shower to warm back up.

My kids don't seem to have the trouble I do keeping warm, that's for sure. One is fine as long as he is layered. The other one runs really warm, and will run around in just his boxers, and never complains that he feels cold. He makes me sound just like my mom - "Put some clothes on - you're making me cold just looking at you!" ;)

#33 of 59 Old 12-23-2010, 06:18 PM

Just wanted to chime in with a night-time idea.  All those BPA-filled nalgene bottles we bought years ago are now used to keep us warm at night!  I fill one up with hot water from the tap (ours does run pretty hot) and wrap it some fleece or an old shirt, then take the whole thing to bed with me.  It's delightful and stays warm through much of the night.  Must be due to the down comforter and three blankets!  During the day I do what others said: layer up and keep moving.  Oh and take trips to the library and our friends' houses.  I do find myself geting used to the chill.  The first month is always really rough but then suddenly I realize that I haven't felt cold in a few days.  The less I "cheat" by turning the heat up though, the faster I adjust.  Oh and we keep it at 62 during the day and 58 at night.  Good luck!

Married to DH since 2006.  Adoptive mom to DD1 (June 2002), DS (Jan 2006), and bio mom to DD2 (May 2009).

#34 of 59 Old 12-24-2010, 11:05 AM

We are at 62 daytime and around 55 at night.  We use wood with a furnace backup in a rather old drafty house--the actual temperature is sometimes 65 for instance and we actually turn the thermostat all the way down at night but it stays in the 50s. 

We have lap blankets, slippers, and I personally wear wool sweaters all the time--even to bed--and I also wear a scarf in the house whenever it makes me feel cozier.  Hot drinks and a cooked breakfast help.  We aren't exactly used to it but it's okay.  I am rather unproductive because I spend a lot of time with a blanket. 

Our youngest child is 8yo.  When we had littler ones getting damp clothing and having to have diaper changes constantly we didn't keep it as cool.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#35 of 59 Old 12-25-2010, 07:15 AM

I keep ours at 67,but most rooms feel cold.The master and part of our kitchen were additions,and the house in general is poorly insulated. I have blankets on the couch for use.Once I get dinner done I can be found in my room under the covers reading or watching tv.Besides covering windows I was thinking maybe you could add some sort of solid  insulation sold in sheets, or blankets to the basement walls.

#36 of 59 Old 12-25-2010, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We have a boiler and a 100 year old house. It is so drafty and cold. We keep our thermostat at 68 but it's much colder. In our room alone we have a space heater. When we turn it on it's usually between 55-62 degrees.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#37 of 59 Old 12-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Wear a woolen or cashmere scarf around your neck. You'll be amazed at how much warmer you feel! And you'll look so posh and European ;)

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#38 of 59 Old 12-25-2010, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I definitely recoommend addressing any humidity issues you might have, it will not only help you feel warmer, but help avoid getting mold.  Also, since you mention having cold hands, have you tried wearing fingerless gloves around the house?  I used to buy the really cheap stretchy gloves at the dollar store and cut some of the fingers off.  If you're really cold you don't even have to cut off all the fingers since you can do a lot of stuff with just your thumbs and first two fingers.

#39 of 59 Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 AM

Higher relative humidity increases apparent temperature. In cold climates, it can also cause window condensation and eventually rot out the sills, but really dry air is not a recipe for feeling warmer.

#40 of 59 Old 12-25-2010, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I beg to differ.  HIgher humidity makes things feel hotter when it's summer and your sweat won't evaporate, but when it's chilly it makes you feel cold and clammy.  There have been many times when it felt warmer in the -10C weather outside my parents' house, than in their 15C house with high humidity. 

#41 of 59 Old 12-25-2010, 11:49 AM

We live in the SF Bay Area in a townhouse and haven't actually turned the heat on yet (except for Thanksgiving Day for the older relatives). The indoor temperatures have ranged from 60 to about 67 degrees. Admittedly I am rather less bothered by cold temperatures than most people but a sweatshirt and slippers is generally sufficient to keep me warm; my husband usually needs another layer. Also, I bake a lot which at least warms up the kitchen and main living space.

Mom to William 5/2013! Finally have a kid after our second IVF and more than 5 years of TTC.
#42 of 59 Old 12-25-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

I beg to differ.  HIgher humidity makes things feel hotter when it's summer and your sweat won't evaporate, but when it's chilly it makes you feel cold and clammy.  There have been many times when it felt warmer in the -10C weather outside my parents' house, than in their 15C house with high humidity. 

In Halifax?

#43 of 59 Old 12-26-2010, 01:45 PM

We keep our thermostat at about 70 degrees in the winter and about 82 in the summer. We live in the desert.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#44 of 59 Old 12-26-2010, 07:04 PM

We moved this year, and it's our first winter in this house.  It's 1950s construction, single pane windows, and drafty.  Very, very drafty. 

Our thermostat (and the thermostat next to it) say 52ish.  Sometimes, it goes to 50, and on nice days when it's sunny, it'll get to 56 or so.  This keeps our bills at a reasonable level.  You get used to it.  At 50, it's cold in here, no doubt.  But, at 52-54, my kids are stripping off their clothes cause "it's hot".  I get really hot when we go shopping and are in and out of hot stores, though.

#45 of 59 Old 12-26-2010, 07:17 PM

67 during the day and 66 at night.  We wear sweats, sweatshirts and wool socks if it's feeling extra chilly.  At night, everyone has 2 blankets, a cotton one next to the body and a polyester one on top :)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#46 of 59 Old 12-27-2010, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

65 during the day, 60 at night.  Mornings at my house are cold!  

I wear a lot of long underwear.  I love expedition weight ones and have a pair of Smartwools as well.  Sometimes, I wear both to keep warm.  But I am cold and no, I am not used to it.  I am moving next week to an even colder climate -- north of the arctic circle and I know that I will be cold, cold, cold.  My joints ache, my body hurts, I never get used to it.  

Hot tea helps.  I go to bed early just to curl up in bed with warm covers.  I have been reading for hours in bed at night, so on the bright side I have read several wonderful books this winter.  

But I gripe a lot and am looking forward to spring.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#47 of 59 Old 12-27-2010, 09:42 AM

60 during the day and 55 at night.

I do tend to turn it up in the evenings before I go to bed as I find I am chilly when tired.

I do find people acclimate...my family is used to this.  I guess it is possible we are genetically predisposed to be able to be Ok in cold - but i think it is more likely it is something we are used to.

Open the curtains to sunlight during the day, seal windows, use rolled up blankets at doors (particularly unused doors - leave one free as a fire escape).  The stove warms things up - so bake or use it more than you would in summer.  I open the door of the oven after cooking to increase the kitchen temp.  Small space heaters are inexpensive and work (do not leave small space heaters alone)

As for sleeping - use the lightest blanket on top of you, then a thicker blanket, then a comforter.  Putting a thin blanket on a thick one is almost useless..

If all else fails, wear a hat.  More heat is lost there than anywhere else.  

#48 of 59 Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 AM

we don't skimp on heating or cooling.   i find it crazy to wear tons of layers when i'm the house.  my husband and i have to compromise on what is "comfortable" anyway so it does tend to keep the temps in check in either direction.  but, we keep it at 70 during the winter and i'd keep it on 76 during the summer, he wants 68, so we settle on 72 or so.  last summer when i was pregnant i had the A/C down to 68 some days because i just couldn't stand the heat at all - hubby was loving it.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#49 of 59 Old 12-27-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

As for sleeping - use the lightest blanket on top of you, then a thicker blanket, then a comforter.  Putting a thin blanket on a thick one is almost useless..

I don't know if this is really warmer, but I always feel warmest if I put a fleece blanket over the comforter. It seems to help trap the heat really well.

#50 of 59 Old 12-27-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post

we don't skimp on heating or cooling.   i find it crazy to wear tons of layers when i'm the house.  my husband and i have to compromise on what is "comfortable" anyway so it does tend to keep the temps in check in either direction.  but, we keep it at 70 during the winter and i'd keep it on 76 during the summer, he wants 68, so we settle on 72 or so.  last summer when i was pregnant i had the A/C down to 68 some days because i just couldn't stand the heat at all - hubby was loving it.

While I keep it cool because I am frugal and we like it that way - some people really do not have much choice.

I spend around $175-200 a  month on heating in the winter months (fairly large single family dwelling).  I have friends who spend around $400.  An extra $200 on heating per month is not an option for some people.  

#51 of 59 Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 PM

We keep it at 62 at night and during the day when I'm the only one home. It turns on and goes up to 68 in the aM for the girls and DH to wake up to a warm house and get ready for school/work, but 9 it's set to go back down to 62. They love to sit on the heat vent when they wake up and get dressed, so this makes sure it's warm and the heat is blowing when they're wake. other than that from 3 - midnight it's at 65. Right now, I'm chilly so I have my robe on. During the day if I'm cold, I cover up with a blanket or start doing something. I stay pretty warm cleaning up or crafting or whatever. Folding clothes and watching TV I can get a little cold, so I put on a hoodie or cover up with a blanket. If I get too cold or am just freezing and can't get warm - I have the 65 - 68 window I can always turn up the heat. If it's set on 70 - I can definetly tell and it feels like a sauna in here. DH likes to crank it up - but I always know and can tell w/o even looking. He likes it warm.

This is just for the winter - we don't normally use the air conditioning in the summer. Lots of shade trees, good air flow with windows open.

lady.gifNatural, Dancing, Sewing WAHMommie to 3 beautiful girls reading.gif  Peace.gif wave.gif and an awesome step-son nut.gif
#52 of 59 Old 12-28-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post

While I keep it cool because I am frugal and we like it that way - some people really do not have much choice.

I spend around $175-200 a  month on heating in the winter months (fairly large single family dwelling).  I have friends who spend around $400.  An extra $200 on heating per month is not an option for some people.  

This, and it seems incredibly wasteful to crank up the heat when it all escapes outside. We have a drafty old house and while we ARE trying to fix it, for now a lot of heat escapes. I am ashamed when I look at our energy usage! We use so much just to keep our house at a chilly temp! So while a good chunk of it is about money, it's also about the environment. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#53 of 59 Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

We live in a really old (250+) farm house that is poorly insulated and drafty.  We keep our heat at 60-62F, lower at bedtime. Even so you don't want to know our heating bill!! cold.gif

We wear lots of layers, warm slippers and drink lots of tea, LOL! 

This is us as well.  I have found the quality of my layers makes a big difference.  I have a thin quilted thinsulate vest by LLBean which makes a huge difference for me.  It is surprisingly warm.  Warmer then many sweaters I own.  And layered with a good quality patagonia fleece I have had for 12 years and I stay very warm.  Not all fleece is actually warm.  I have some cheapie fleece from lands end I save for cool summer nights because it is useless this time of year.  And just because something is thick does not mean it is warm either.  Good silk long underwear and sock liners are great.  I have been known to leave a hat on my head.  Fingerless hand warmers.  Good wool or down slippers with an actual sole.  I also try and not sit down for long periods of time if I can help it.  Hot showers before bed.

#54 of 59 Old 12-28-2010, 12:57 PM

We keep our heat at around 63-64 at night, we are all snuggled together in bed so we're toasty :) DH turns it up in the morning when he gets up very early for work - to about 68, so it's warm when we wake up. Then, I keep it consistently around 65-66 during the day. We have three blankets on the couch and we wear layers. Around here, you don't get to complain about the cold unless you have long pants, socks, and a sweater on. You don't have to wear a winter coat or anything (unrealistic if you don't have to imo) but don't you dare moan about the cold if you're in shorts and a t-shirt lol

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#55 of 59 Old 12-29-2010, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

From 7 until 9am and  4 until 9pm the temp is set for 65. The rest of the time it's set at 60. Due to finances this is lower than we have set it in the past but we are all adjsting well. In fact I get hot and uncomfortable if the temperature reaches 68!

I'm the same as a pp, no one can complain they are cold if they are not fully dressed with a sweater over their top! I encourage my youngest to wear an undershirt and his thicker winter socks. We also have a lot of blankets on the sofa to cuddle up under. Our beds all have at least 4 thick layers on and we all go to bed with pj's on. Socks haven't been needed in bed for a while but the kids all have bed socks available just in case.

#56 of 59 Old 12-29-2010, 08:34 AM

We have a small apartment so our electric bill isn't bad even though we keep it between 72 and 75. I do wear heavy clothes, use blankets, drink tea/coffee, etc. and I am STILL that cold. When it gets cooler, my hands start to hurt or get numb and my body aches. I don't know why...I'm only in my mid 20s but I have no tolerance for the cold whatsoever. It has been between 20-30 degrees here lately and I hurt just going out to my car (properly dressed for the weather). It is unfortunate because I love photographing the snow. :(

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#57 of 59 Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 PM

We usually keep ours at about 67 or 68 if it's really cold.  During the day I turn it down to 64 or 65 and throw on a sweatshirt.  I usually sweats or sweat-shorts with socks and a tank top.  Cleaning house gets me sweaty! LOL!  But I actually prefer the cold.  

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#58 of 59 Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 AM

Our housing has yet to turn on the heaters.. even though its been dipping into the 40s at night.. Burrr. Its very unseasonably cold over here (coldest its been in years) and housing is still trying to catch up. Yea, its never going to happen, by the time they get "around to us" its going to be summer. During the day we all wear long sleeves, sweaters, short sleeve shirt, skirt and leggings. Socks on the feet and sometimes if the girls get cold they will put on the gloves and hat I have in their dress up trunk (usually used for dress up, it almost never gets this cold, typical winter temps are in the 60s at the coldest). This week its not suppose to get below 50 so Im looking forward to not having to tell the kids to put clothes on and they won't be cold anymore.

As for night time, DH and both girls sleep in bed and they are quite toasty like that. I sleep on the couch (heartburn issues, only way I can sleep well is sitting partly up) with thermals and a sweater then covered by 1 or 2 blankets. Luckily the living room tends to be warmer than the rest of the house so I don't get to cold.

I am worried though for when the new baby comes. Im praying it warms up because otherwise Im worried hes going to get to cold. We don't have very many heavier blankets (1 or 2) and most of the sleepers and all we have been able to get are pretty light weight.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#59 of 59 Old 01-11-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

We keep our heat at about 65 during the day and 62 at night.  We all wear a long sleeved shirt plus a sweater or sweatshirt on top, plants and smart wool socks.  If I'm really cold I wear long john pants under.  When we're vegging we grab a throw (my MIL and GMIL are great at keeping us supplied with gorgeous blankets they crochet).  I wear birks in the house.  I was raised in a house where you weren't allowed to complain about the heat unless you were wearing a sweater.  I think it's a good policy. 

Before our DD was born we kept the house much colder.  She doesn't sleep well if it's not at least 62, so we set it there now.

Ha!  At least you were allowed to complain, my dad considered paying for heat to be a waste of money. 

Growing up in the northeast, I am guessing the house temp was kept at 55 degrees.  Typical indoor clothing was wool socks, sheep skin slippers, one or two layers of long johns, sweat pants or jeans, turtle neck, sweater and a vest (wool or shearling)  I remember sleeping with a wool cap on at times.  We had a kerosine heater for the living room that was lit only at night, we huddled around it like a campfire.  To get a bath in the bathtub, my mom would wheel it into the bathroom so she could comfortably soak.   We used electric blankets to warm up the bed at night but turned them off before sleep.

The first time DH visited my parents' house he thought the furnace was broken.  It was beyond his thinking that people, who could afford heat, choose to live without comfortable temps.  To this day, we battle over the thermostat.  He thinks it is his right to sit around in boxers and a t-shirt in the middle of winter.

Our downstairs is about 70-27 degrees, upstairs is 66-68 degrees.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page