If you were given hand soap containing Triclosan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-19-2010, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have now been given three bottles of hand soap containing triclosan. I'm not a fan, so I won't use it in our home. I also don't want to give it away so that anyone else is using it because I would prefer a bit less of it ended up in the water supply--though my three bottles aren't likely making much of an impact.

How would you dispose of this stuff if you were given it? I honestly don't know what to do with it.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#2 of 7 Old 12-19-2010, 09:54 PM

Can you return them? Seriously.... Take them back to the store where they were purchased and tell the manager that you were gifted them, but cannot use products with these ingredients. Ask for store credit instead. The worst thing they can do is say no. Be sure to ask for a manager if necessary. If that didn't work I would find them a good home, even if that meant donating to good will. There are only three bottles and, sadly, there are people who think that stuff is liquid gold. 

gl

hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#3 of 7 Old 12-19-2010, 10:01 PM

i agree with pp. i wouldn't use the stuff in my home either. maybe you have neighbors who would use it if you don't want to make the trip to drop it off at a thrift store?

#4 of 7 Old 12-20-2010, 03:44 PM

I know someone who used to work at a major mall retailer that sold that stuff like crazy- especially during the swine flu scare.  If that's where your products are from , they will take them back( even if they've been opened) and let you pick another item.  Whether or not you find another item you personally can use is another matter. 

#5 of 7 Old 12-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlyn View Post

I know someone who used to work at a major mall retailer that sold that stuff like crazy- especially during the swine flu scare.  If that's where your products are from , they will take them back( even if they've been opened) and let you pick another item.  Whether or not you find another item you personally can use is another matter. 

If it's the retailer I think you're referring to, it's true....they will let you return anything without a receipt.  They have a few decent, not-as-toxic brands (CleanWell, Mustela, 100% Pure) so you may be able to find something safe.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#6 of 7 Old 12-21-2010, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisoula View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlyn View Post

If it's the retailer I think you're referring to, it's true....they will let you return anything without a receipt.  They have a few decent, not-as-toxic brands (CleanWell, Mustela, 100% Pure) so you may be able to find something safe.

Yes, I do believe they all came from that particular retailer. I might be able to find something I want--though I also try to stay away from synthetic fragrances, so good luck to me, huh? :lol:

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#7 of 7 Old 12-21-2010, 12:02 PM

I'm pretty sure CleanWell soaps don't have artificial fragrance....maybe you'll be surprised!

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page