cart for transport of children and groceries - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-24-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am living on my own again and would like to be as independent as possible. I am brainstorming ideas for how to go places with children and get things. I don't know if this is the right forum. I do have a vehicle available that belongs to xdh, but I really want to be car free as much as possible (100 % would be great too). The apt I got has great views, few units, a huge backyard, but is not on the bus line. I couldn't afford bus fare anyway, so..... o well. I do have a nice bicycle. I have 2, actually. I was thinking of a unit like a farm cart, but with a bench seat, but have no idea what to search for. I looked up pedicabs and found a company selling them for $3000 bigeyes.gifyikes2.gifjaw.gifdizzy.gif Anyone have any ideas? I don't think the little plastic tow behind things would be big enough for both children and groceries (the nearest store are 2 miles away, we could walk come spring and summer- maybe if the 2 yo is able by then... and I do have a stroller. I just had this idea of the bike and a governness cart type thing. This is neat that I found too http://bikecart.pedalpeople.com/index.html dd1 is 7 and has a bike too, so it might be possible she could ride and then it is just what to do with baby and groceries..... so maybe the chariot design would work then for us....

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#2 of 11 Old 12-24-2010, 12:34 PM

The Chariot trailers are really good and have different sized storage depending on which model you get. My friend has the extra add on tray for the top which she says is invaluable.There are also some bikes which have an extended frame with extra big paniers and kids' seats on them but i can't remember the name

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#3 of 11 Old 12-24-2010, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

What your probably need to do is have the 7 yr old ride her own bike and get a kiddie trailer for the 2 yr old.  Those are usually big enough for a kid and a few bags of things.  If you get a 'double' trailer there will be plenty of room for a kid and those bags.

Your other option is to get a 'sturdy' stroller and walk with the baby and give your older child the option to either walk or ride with your guys.  You can also get your older child a front basket or back basket for her bike so she can carry some things too.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 11 Old 12-25-2010, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

the chariot design I was speaking of is from this page of build your own http://bikecart.pedalpeople.com/gallery.html not the expensive tent material pull behinds from here... http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/Corsaire+XL/part_number=10100225/720.0.1.1.14988.0.0.0.0?pp=8& although I can see how it could be useful, it is not what I have in mind. The thing is, I do not know if what I have in mind exists, that is what i am wondering. I first though of something like this http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4389963&cp=1260447 to pull behind the bike somehow, but I know this isn't workable yet either.... these are close too, but require a pony..... http://www.tripleccarts.com/html/pony_mini_carts.html the picture I have in mind is like a sleigh, there is a bench and a space at the feet for things. Does anyone know if this exists? Please post links if you have any ideas.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#5 of 11 Old 12-25-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

What your probably need to do is have the 7 yr old ride her own bike and get a kiddie trailer for the 2 yr old.  Those are usually big enough for a kid and a few bags of things.  If you get a 'double' trailer there will be plenty of room for a kid and those bags.

Your other option is to get a 'sturdy' stroller and walk with the baby and give your older child the option to either walk or ride with your guys.  You can also get your older child a front basket or back basket for her bike so she can carry some things too.

I like the walking with a stroller to put things in, but the closest store that sells organic anything is over 2 miles away... not too sure it will work for much of the year. In the summer, we could do it easily (with physical comfort, not too cold for how long it would take), but then the groceries would get hot... hmmmmmmm maybe I should just get a handcart..... I have a cooler with wheels, and a smaller one too. Maybe walking is a good option. Have to research routes not involving fast roads....

#6 of 11 Old 12-25-2010, 09:50 AM

I had a simple ($120ish new) bike cart for mine that I purchased for $50 used at a garage sale. It also came with a wheel that converted it to just a stroller. I believe the brand was In-Step. I made a bag (like a huge shopping bag with long handles) that could go over the bar in the back/handle for when it was a stroller, and you could put most of the lighter groceries in there with the heavier at the feet of the kiddos in the trailer. Also depending on the size of your 7 yo's bike, you could figure out a way to attach it behind/on the trailer (bungee cords, etc) so she could ride in the trailer on the way to the store, and then you'd have her space for groceries and she rode her bike home.

Also, depending on the configuration of your bike, you can add side or front baskets, and you can wear a backpack.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#7 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 AM

I also have a bike trailer and I can fit  a lot in it when there is only one child riding.There is a compartment behind the seats that actually holds quite a bit.And since it is a two seater,one whole side of the seat can be filled up.

Also have you asked if the store has delivery?I know a lot of people around me don't even know that's an option but a lot of the stores still offer it.

#8 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 11:40 AM

What about this:

http://www.biketrailershop.com/croozer-cargo-bike-trailer-p-1347.html 

here is the main site as well, lots of other bike trailer options

http://www.biketrailershop.com/ 

#9 of 11 Old 01-02-2011, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you do go with this option, you'd be surprised at how long groceries last outside. A gallon of milk etc should easily last an hour outside. Also, you'd be surprised how many groceries a good back pack will fit. I was glad when I stopped having to do this, but in college we'd take two busses and a mile walk to get to the store, schlepping our groceries the whole way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I like the walking with a stroller to put things in, but the closest store that sells organic anything is over 2 miles away... not too sure it will work for much of the year. In the summer, we could do it easily (with physical comfort, not too cold for how long it would take), but then the groceries would get hot... hmmmmmmm maybe I should just get a handcart..... I have a cooler with wheels, and a smaller one too. Maybe walking is a good option. Have to research routes not involving fast roads....

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#10 of 11 Old 01-03-2011, 11:51 AM

I would have serious reservations about riding on the street with a home made trailer. The ones you buy have cages around the child for safety reasons.

Have you seen these? http://totcycle.com/blog/family-cycling-on-3-wheels.html I'm not sure you could afford it if you can't afford bus fare. Have you thought of putting the groceries in a backpack and pushing a stroller?

#11 of 11 Old 10-02-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

wow i havent been here in 9 months... the bus does not go out to my apt building. I would use it if possible. the nearest pick up is 3 mi from here. i could walk all the way to a store and put the groceries on my stroller pretty easy. it holds alot. I used it to get all our gear in for camping this year at rainbow gathering. but, walking 6 miles would be physically taxing on me. i have a vehicle here to use any time i want to. i did order an aosom from ebay, put it together and then saw my daughter maxxed out the straps in it, and her head was well over the line that said child should not be over. i have been looking at the wike. it will be winter here soon and that means feet of snow covering sidewalks anyway. I hope to save up enough to get a wike next year. thank sfo rall those that answered me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page