Renovation/Planning Help Please... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-02-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are finishing our basement, starting phase 2, which is a bedroom and bathroom. We decided yesterday to save a lot of money and hassle in the bathroom, and not put a shower down there. It's already 2 piece, so way cheaper to replace two pieces than to rip up the concrete, lay new lines and put in a shower (which would go where the toilet is, then toilet to sink location, sink moves over). Leaving as is is the new plan.

So the bedroom window wall:

P1020118.jpg

The dividing wall is about where the left vertical lath is (which is being removed). The window will be replaced. The room will be give or take, 8 feet wide. There is in the bottom right of the photo, a non moveable water meter. The plan was to box it in at bedside table height, make a dummy the other side and have built in matching "tables". But the pump is wider than the 2 feet needed to make a double bed fit.

So the next plan was to build a headboard height box the whole width, with access doors to the pump/fake tables. So there would be a flat shelf room width behind the bed head, so we wouldn't do a headboard. I wanted to move our queen down there and get us a new one, but we don't think a queen will fit, so we will end up getting a double bed. I don't think I want a sofa bed, I want a real one. Dh will use this room a lot in the summer, as our bedroom gets too hot for him.

The electric panel is right over the water meter, but at right angles:

P1020119.jpg

That wall is about 15/17 feet. Dh's idea is to build the wall 6-7 inches deep, so it runs flat over the panel (which will have doors). The other option is a regular 4 inch wall that then bumps out an extra couple of inches at the panel. Or something else?

The bathroom:

P1020120.jpg

The little room there is the original bathroom, the toilet is barely visible, sink is on the half demolished wall. The new bathroom goes the whole width of the picture, probably 10 feet or so by 4 feet to the furnace, or 8 feet to the back of the toilet. The furnace will be closed in with bifold doors.

So the new plan is to leave the toilet as is, move the sink to the new dividing wall, put it in a unit (it's just a sink now). So I have no idea where to locate the sink, and what to do with the now dead wall (the new sink was originally going to be across from the furnace).

The flooring in the rest of the basement is dark laminate, can we continue that into a 2 piece bathroom, or do we have to do ceramic?

So:

What do we do with the panel wall.

What do we do with the bed wall.

What do we do with the bathroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-02-2011, 07:43 AM

No answers BUT I wanted to suggest you look at the size/shape/style of your window. Often to have a basement bedroom you need to have a window that can be used as an exit in case of fire. Your window may be perfectly fine, just wanted to suggest you get specifics now (from insurance and/or building inspector) before going too far. (You may have thought about that already but I wanted to say something just in case!)

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#3 of 4 Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, the window will be replaced (it's 40+ years old) and will meet code.
#4 of 4 Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 AM

The window, you need a code-meeting EGRESS window. not just a code-meeting window. It is going to be much bigger than it is now.

I like blue board insulation for basement walls. We did not do that when we did our basement upgrade, and now have a summer-only guest room. I put three coats of paint on the concrete block walls, laid the laminate floors myself, and have no desire to undo any of that work by adding insulation + drywall.  Anyway, I made the wrong choice when I skipped it. :-(

We have had a bookcase/headboard before, and really enjoyed it... we are big readers! The bed (including headboard) gets moved forward 12" from the wall (or more if needed) and a shelf goes behind it, bolted to the back of the headboard with some angle braces.

Flooring - regular laminates will get pretty messed up if they get wet, for example toilet leakage. (It happened to us). I did a re-install of the flooring in a small bathroom because of this. Our basement shower area has ceramic flooring. It is COLD. I would suggest you spring for the under-tile electric heating tape, or for a water-resistant (kitchen grade) laminate flooring. Or linoleum. The ceramic tile looks nice, but cold feet after a shower are not fun. If you plan to use the basement bedroom, I would get that shower installed!

Just a reminder, you need a carbon monixide monitor for the basement living area. It is important!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page