Storage/space limitations and cutting food budget - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-06-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I wasn't sure which sub forum to put this in since it discusses organization and budgeting so I hope this is okay.

DH travels for work and we decided to go with him and live in a camper. This works out great for a lot of reasons (no double bills, more time together etc) but it's an adjustment. I'm trying to cut our food budget. When this job first started I was still working and so we only stayed with dh part time the rest of the time me and the kids traveling for me to work too and we ate out a LOT. Now that we're together full time I'm trying to cook at home and work on our food budget again.

My big problem is: I have no space. We actually cut part of dd's "room" out by putting a dorm size fridge on the end of her bunk to have a little more fridge space. This helps but not by much. I can think of lots of things to cut our food budget (making juice & other drinks at home instead of prepackaged, buying less convenience foods, cooking extra and freezing, etc) but we don't have the space for it. I can't cook a ton extra and freeze meals because we have a very tiny freezer. I have enough space to hold enough food for about a week without us being over run. Any one in small spaces and have some ideas? I really want to cut this budget down.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#2 of 4 Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

can you store vertically instead of horizontally?  I mean shelf-stable stuff like pasta or other dry goods.  Even that would help you.  Is there ceiling space to suspend stuff like on a shelf or whatever?  When you don't have space, you have to build UP.  Also, are you at bare minimum for your personal items in your new space?  If you can declutter, you might be able to make room for food storage under seats or beds or whatever.  I don't know.  Maybe you've already done that.  But I have to assume you haven't. 

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#3 of 4 Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There's a full time RV living thread around here somewhere... they would probably have good ideas!

#4 of 4 Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page