Why didn't anyone ever tell me... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

...that you can put water in your iron?!??!?!?

My mom gave us my grandma's iron 5 years ago when she passed away (because my aunt noticed our wrinkled clothes at the funeral)... I've used the new iron maybe 3 times ever, mostly for crafting. I purposely avoid any fabric that requires ironing & could not understand why someone would be willing to spend an hour ironing one shirt (because that's how long it took me without water in the iron!) Usually we just wear our clothes wrinkled if it comes down to that.

So today I discovered that you can put water in the iron. I HAD to iron fabric for a sewing project and amazingly -- it took me no time at all!!

I can't believe no one ever showed me this....

Anyone else recently discover how to do something they 'should' have known for years??? What other housekeeping-type things don't I know??? lol.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 37 Old 01-30-2011, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Haha! It was a revelation to me a couple years ago that I can toss a plastic shower curtain liner into the washer. funny what we don't get around to learning as children...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#3 of 37 Old 01-30-2011, 05:00 PM

It took me years to realize that you can leave the oven racks in the oven when you run the self cleaning cycle.  I had always followed the instruction manual and taken them out because I was afraid of damaging them.  They do just fine leaving them in and it saves me hours of scrubbing them by hand.

#4 of 37 Old 01-30-2011, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

...that you can put water in your iron?!??!?!?

ROTFLMAO.gif  I guess your mom didn't pay you a nickel for every handkerchief you ironed as a kid...

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#5 of 37 Old 01-30-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

LOL no, I don't think anyone in my house ironed except for special occasions when I was growing up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post

Haha! It was a revelation to me a couple years ago that I can toss a plastic shower curtain liner into the washer.

bigeyes.gif won't it melt????

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 37 Old 01-30-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:

LOL no, I don't think anyone in my house ironed except for special occasions when I was growing up!

Quote:

Haha! It was a revelation to me a couple years ago that I can toss a plastic shower curtain liner into the washer.

bigeyes.gif won't it melt????

Don't put it in the dryer. Just wash and hang it back up!
Juvysen likes this.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#7 of 37 Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehoneybee View Post

It took me years to realize that you can leave the oven racks in the oven when you run the self cleaning cycle.  I had always followed the instruction manual and taken them out because I was afraid of damaging them.  They do just fine leaving them in and it saves me hours of scrubbing them by hand.

Wait......ovens have self cleaning cycles?????

Just kidding. Hehe.

HannahW likes this.

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#8 of 37 Old 01-31-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

Quote:

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/bigeyes.gif">bigeyes.gif won't it melt????

Don't put it in the dryer. Just wash and hang it back up!

yeah, that!  I wash it on warm, not hot, I think.  I do throw some bleach or oxyclean in with it, though.  Works beautifully :)  Better than scrubbing it by hand, or tossing it when it gets gross!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#9 of 37 Old 01-31-2011, 06:44 PM

I wash the shower curtain liner in the machine on cold, with a couple of towels, then hang it right back up in the shower to drip dry. It gets a little wrinkled but I don't care.

#10 of 37 Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Wow I'm totally cleaning my shower curtain tomorrow!

HannahW likes this.

#11 of 37 Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 AM

And when your iron starts "spitting" at you when you use the steam, it's time to run some vinegar through to get rid of the mineral deposits...

About the shower curtains, I've done this twice now and they've always come out torn to pieces.  What am I doing wrong?

Married to DH since 2006.  Adoptive mom to DD1 (June 2002), DS (Jan 2006), and bio mom to DD2 (May 2009).

#12 of 37 Old 02-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH View Post

About the shower curtains, I've done this twice now and they've always come out torn to pieces.  What am I doing wrong?

Maybe it's a quality issue if your curtains are on the cheaper/thinner side?  I switched to a nylon liner (I see them at discount stores like Marshalls from time to time) which washes well and presumably doesn't off gas or have PVCs or whatever I was trying to avoid at the time...

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#13 of 37 Old 02-02-2011, 11:20 AM

gentle cycle?

#14 of 37 Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:

And when your iron starts "spitting" at you when you use the steam, it's time to run some vinegar through to get rid of the mineral deposits...

You should really be using distilled water in your iron. It avoids the mineral deposit problem entirely, lengthens the life of the iron and prevents staining.
jocelyndale likes this.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#15 of 37 Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:

I actually just bought a cloth shower curtain so I wouldn't have to worry about the curtain ripping in the wash. I love it. Can't believe I haven't always used a cloth one!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#16 of 37 Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 PM

Well to sort of combine the two lines of thought going on here:

I washed my plastic shower curtain in the washer today and I added lots of vinegar to get off the mineral deposits. Worked pretty darn well! Thanks!
Juvysen likes this.
#17 of 37 Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

You should really be using distilled water in your iron. It avoids the mineral deposit problem entirely, lengthens the life of the iron and prevents staining.

Is that the same as using bottled or filtered water?  If not, where do I get distilled?

Married to DH since 2006.  Adoptive mom to DD1 (June 2002), DS (Jan 2006), and bio mom to DD2 (May 2009).

#18 of 37 Old 02-05-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Is that the same as using bottled or filtered water?  If not, where do I get distilled?

Supermarket or general merch store.  It's sold in gallon jugs like spring, drinking, etc, water.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#19 of 37 Old 02-07-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Its not the same at all. Distilled water has had the minerals removed, so you avoid the buildup issue. But you'll find it next to the bottled water at the store.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#20 of 37 Old 02-07-2011, 05:39 PM

I buy the "heavy duty" shower curtains, wash them on warm or hot with towels and then put them in the dryer for 10 minutes with the towels to get the water off of it.  I do always set a timer though :)

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#21 of 37 Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Haha! It was a revelation to me a couple years ago that I can toss a plastic shower curtain liner into the washer. funny what we don't get around to learning as children...

This one. And apparently you can wash pillows that way, too!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#22 of 37 Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM

Yep! I also wash down coats and comforter. They take a lot of drying time, though.

#23 of 37 Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:

AYep! I also wash down coats and comforter. They take a lot of drying time, though.

You haveto make sure your machine is big enough for your comforter. But i do this too. Typically i'll dry it once, pull it out, rearrange it so the part thats wettest is on the outside of the bundle, dry it again, and then finish and fluff on the line.

#24 of 37 Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehoneybee View Post

What??? You can do this??? Why does the manual say you can't?

Mine are gross. And my oven needs cleaning too.

#25 of 37 Old 02-10-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

OK I am embarrassed to say I have no clue what the 'self-clean' function on the oven does or how to use it... bag.gif but it sure would be nice to have a clean oven...

#26 of 37 Old 02-10-2011, 04:33 PM

Some ovens have it, some don't. It should say "self cleaning cycle" or something on your oven if it does. Mine doesn't.

#27 of 37 Old 02-10-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

I checked and it does have it. So I just press that button and it cleans itself?!??! I have a hard time believing it...

#28 of 37 Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 PM

It should... here's the basic idea...http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/question559.htm

#29 of 37 Old 02-11-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:

I checked and it does have it. So I just press that button and it cleans itself?!??! I have a hard time believing it...

What happens it that is runs really, really, really hot and basically turns everything in your oven into ashes. My oven is pretty old and it takes a good 6 hours to run. You have to "lock" it closed and then you can't open it until it's done. THEN - you are left with ash in the oven that you need to wipe out with a damp sponge. So there is some work on your part- but not toxic oven cleaner work.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#30 of 37 Old 02-11-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm I guess I will try it. To be honest I've never cleaned an oven in my life (but we don't bake much so I guess it's not TOO dirty)... Can you tell my family was not big on housework when I was a kid? Dusting & vacuuming is as far as it got...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page