Things you didn't know you were supposed to clean - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

The other cleaning thread is interesting and deep, but I thought it'd be fun to have a more light-hearted one. A few people in the other thread expressed sentiments like, "You're supposed to clean baseboards?!?" Knowing that I've had similar thoughts when friends have mentioned certain cleaning feats, I thought this could be a fun thread. 

So what are some things you didn't know you were supposed to clean? mischievous.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm a clean freak when I'm feeling good.  You're supposed to clean everything!!

When I was pg with dd I was on bedrest.  My dh mentioned one day that he had to clean the water cooler "almost every day, it gets so dirty lately!"  Um, dude?  It's always gotten dirty, you've just never had to clean anything before.  Dork :)

#3 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't found any new ones in a long time, but I do remember getting bawled out for not cleaning the curtains before I left my first rental, and thinking, "you can clean curtains?". I always assumed they had to be sent away for professional cleaning, and that property owners/managers took care of that. (I think that's because I remember my parents sending come curtains out for cleaning - but I think they were some kind of specialty fabric.)

I can't think of anything else. We were always taught that everything can/should be cleaned...baseboards, window tracks, tubs, sinks, toilets, counter tops, range hood, inside the fridge, under/behind the major appliances, etc. etc. etc.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 AM

I never thought about cleaning the top of the fridge until it was time to leave my first rented apartment and realized I hadn't cleaned it while I lived there!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#5 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 AM

The arms on wooden chairs, the blades of the ceiling fan, the heater grate.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 AM

My grandma starting talking about how the curtains I bought would be so easy to clean and I was like... wait.. I'm supposed to take them down and wash them?!  Never crossed my mind!

Same with baseboards and around doors/windows.  I've never pulled out a stove to wash behind either.  The top of my fridge could use a dusting.  I always forget about windows although I know they are supposed to be cleaned hahaha.  I also hate pulling out big furniture to clean under.

oh!  WALLS.  I was reading about... which cleaning organization program is it... and cleaning the walls was in it and I was like 'wait... people clean walls?'  I get if there are like spaghetti sauce hand prints on them or something... but as a part of normal cleaning... to just scrub the whole wall?  it was such an unusual idea to me!

#7 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 AM

LOL, cleaning walls was new to me, too.  When I started doing FlyLady and it was one of the things that you're supposed to clean I thought "but they're vertical!  Dust doesn't settle on them.  Why would I need to clean them?"  LOL.

Juvysen likes this.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#8 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 AM

We do spring and fall cleaning, where we tackle those areas, but yeah hubby was clueless about cleaning. The first time he mopped the kitchen floor, he used the dirty water from the bathroom I had just mopped.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#9 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lach View Post

LOL, cleaning walls was new to me, too.  When I started doing FlyLady and it was one of the things that you're supposed to clean I thought "but they're vertical!  Dust doesn't settle on them.  Why would I need to clean them?"  LOL.

Thats exactly how I see it!  Plus the fact that my whole house is walls.  How the heck do I clean floor to ceiling walls all the time??  Everywhere I turn is more wall.. Its definitely not a chore I could do in a day.  I think I'd rather just paint them every so often with a new pretty color....

#10 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 AM

I never realized that the vents that the (forced air) heat and central air conditioning comes through can be removed and cleaned.  Every once in a while I would look at them and say 'wow, it sure is filthy in there!' and then one day I saw DH pop one out and vacuum up some snacks that DS threw down there. Genius!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#11 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, for me it's pretty much all the vertical surfaces -- walls, cabinet faces, baseboards, doorframes, doors. I wipe up fingerprints, grease marks, splatters, etc., but I don't just walk up to a clean-looking vertical surface and go at it with a rag. The little ledge on top of the baseboards I do clean occasionally, because it's horizontal and collects dust. We paint ours about once a year or once they start looking too scuffed up, but other than that I really don't clean them. 

In our new house, the counter tile goes up onto the wall behind the counter for about 6 inches, and somehow I didn't notice that for about 5-6 months. By the time I did notice there was quite a bit of dust there (on the tiny ledge on top of the tile). Same thing with the teeny little ledge on top of electrical plates, like light switch covers. Once I noticed, I could easily see how dirty they all were. But I guess it never occurred to me to look. redface.gif

#12 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 AM

I read, laughed at, and promptly returned to the library, a cleaning book once that had tricks about stuff like treating the bottom of your rugs to make them easier to clean--WEEKLY. Same book suggested hands and knees with a brush and bucket as the best way to do the monthly wall to wall carpet wash. Wish I could remember the book because I'm sure it was full of that sort of thing, but I can only remember those two items.

#13 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

I read, laughed at, and promptly returned to the library, a cleaning book once that had tricks about stuff like treating the bottom of your rugs to make them easier to clean--WEEKLY. Same book suggested hands and knees with a brush and bucket as the best way to do the monthly wall to wall carpet wash. Wish I could remember the book because I'm sure it was full of that sort of thing, but I can only remember those two items.

Oh. my.

I rent a steam cleaner and do my carpets about once a year (hard to say exactly, because my pregnancies have thrown that off a bit). I only do it that often because we have the stupid carpeted dining room and it gets gross. (Mind you, I'd probably do it 2-3X a year, if it weren't so expensive and such a PITA to rent, transport, clean and return those things. I hate gungy carpets.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#14 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Where I grew up, I would estimate 90% of the families kept very, very clean houses - walls were washed down at least every spring/fall, baseboards/window sills/screens/wood trim was vaccumed each time the floors were done, which was at least once a week, all surfaces were dusted every week, bathrooms scrubbed at least weekly, etc.  Interestingly enough, I would describe most of these homes as being at least moderately cluttered.  The other 10% were really dirty homes, I am talking letting dogs pee on the rug, food built up on the counters and tables, bathrooms that were never cleaned - that type of dirty.

So yeah, the washing of walls, vacuuming of air vents, dusting on top of the fridge is completely normal to me.  I can't wait to read other responses to see if there is some cleaning issue I don't know about!

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#15 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

Ha! That reminds me, whenever I pick up Martha Stewart's magazine my favorite thing to read is her calendar -- she's always doing stuff like that. Hold on, I have this month's issue, let me see if there's anything ridiculous in there. 

Hmm, there's nothing too crazy, because the cleaning stuff is all things you would do just once a year, so it's not as bad as the above where they expect you to do this stuff weekly or monthly. Here are some tips from this month's Martha calendar:

Sharpen and oil all garden cutting tools

When storing your candles, wrap each in craft paper to prevent dye bleeding

Clean the outside dryer vent with your vacuum

Use a battery-operated pill remover to defuzz sweaters

Organize your linen closet and print labels for each shelf/drawer

#16 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 AM

Toys.

I mean, I understand that if a toy gets grubby or dusty or barfed on, then it needs to be washed. But I've run into mothers who go through every single toy on a regular basis and clean it, "just because." And they buy those toy sanitizing machines. What's up with that? I think they have the idea that germs pile up on toys, and need to be removed. Yes, but aren't the germs from YOUR kids, so clearly the kids have already been exposed, right? My whole house I'm sure is filled with microorganisms, but their OUR microorganisms, and we live in happy harmony with them without the aid of sanitizing machines.

I think it comes from the fact that daycares clean toys-- but daycares have lots and lots of kids from different households, all playing with the same toys. I don't feel the need to clean and sanitize them on a weekly basis, no sir. And clearly my kids have survived through early childhood without any awful diseases caught from unsanitized toys. So I guess we're doing okay.

One that really got me, though, was my kids' crib. There were these little places along the bottom of the rails, between the slats, that got horribly dirty. In the first year or so of DD1's life, I guess I was just too busy or oblivious to notice. (I am not the kind of person who notices dirt, anyway.) Then we went to move the crib out of our room, when DD was 15 months old, and I finally noticed how horrendously grubby it had gotten. I had wiped down the tops of the rails, often, but it never occurred to me to clean the BOTTOM of the crib. duh.gif

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#17 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 12:17 PM

Dryer innards. I had to repair my dryer last year (I did it myself! Woohoo!), and when I took it apart to get to the part, I was shocked and terrified by the amount of lint there was UNDER the drum. Where the open flame from the gas heat is. If you pull the cover off that's in front of your feet you'll see it. Vaccuum it out before it catches fire!

journeymom, Juvysen and jammomma like this.
#18 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 01:13 PM

There is this trap like thing in the dishwasher. I was trying to figure out while my dishes looked like crud, so I took the bottom of the dishwasher apart. Uggg...apparently it needed to be cleaned. puke.gif

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#19 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm some sort of freak because I do all of this stuff.  I don't have labels on my linens, vacuum the dryer vent (but maintenance does a few times a year and my garden tools just get stored in a bucket of oiled sand.

The vents get vacuumed when I dust once a week, the top of the fridge gets washed when I deep clean the kitchen every week and dh does the fan blades and trim about once a month.

#20 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 PM

If you have a microwave above your oven and the microwave has the vent underneath it? Never thought to clean that in my old house, then we moved into the house we live in now. The first time I turned on the fan I thought I was going to throw up. Makes me wonder why this one was gross, but 10 years in the previous house I never had a problem? What say you previous owners? lol.gif

I have to wipe and sanitize my toys daily because I am a daycare, but it always cracks me up when this makes people self conscious. Hey, if I didn't have 10 other kids here I wouldn't clean my

toys this often!

#21 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 PM

The inside of the pump for my cat's water fountain. I would clean the outside of it, but one day I was messing around with it and discovered that it pops open. There was 4 years of slimy nastiness in there. I decided then and there to go back to using an ordinary water bowl where there is no hidden nastiness. 

sugarlumpkin and Juvysen like this.

SAHM to DS (11/09) with a little girl coming in October stork-girl.gif familybed1.gif

#22 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The underside of the refrigerator can be shockingly dirty, especially if you have pets.  yikes.gif 

I'm well aware that there is NOTHING in the home that couldn't 'use a good cleaning now and again.'  And my mom did, she cleaned everything.  My perspective is a little different. Just because something can be cleaned doesn't mean it has to be cleaned.  None the less, if I feel the need to humble myself all I have to do is look around. Where ever I look there's something that could be cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post

Dryer innards. I had to repair my dryer last year (I did it myself! Woohoo!), and when I took it apart to get to the part, I was shocked and terrified by the amount of lint there was UNDER the drum. Where the open flame from the gas heat is. If you pull the cover off that's in front of your feet you'll see it. Vaccuum it out before it catches fire!

thumb.gif  Good job you!  Dh just did the same thing a few days ago, he's really proud of himself.   And YES, he discovered the same thing -a huge layer of lint piled up around this heating element (ours is electric, not gas) that gets red hot.  Yikes! He vacuumed it out completely.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#23 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM

I thought of another one! The very top of doors can get surprisingly dusty. It doesn't seem to happen as much in this house because our house is really surrounded by finished lawn, my old house though was only like 30 feet from the dirt road, yikes! I was painting a door that DD had so beautifully decorated. When I got to the top I was standing on a stool and holy crud it was dusty up there! Never would have occurred to me.

#24 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM

Glass shades on light fixtures and the chains that hold them up.  I looked up one day and was totally grossed out so I ended up doing them all.  Oh man.  BIG difference. 

#25 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 02:36 PM

I always notice things that need to be cleaned but I forget to do it.  I am terrible about cleaning baseboards and cabinets and walls.  I also didn't really comprehend quite how often cleaning needs to take place to keep a house inhabited by four people and two cats tidy and not grungy.

#26 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post

Glass shades on light fixtures and the chains that hold them up.  I looked up one day and was totally grossed out so I ended up doing them all.  Oh man.  BIG difference. 

Same here.  I recently cleaned the chandelier in the dining room, and I can see cobwebs on the one over the entry way/stairs - but I would need a ladder to get to it.  By I, I mean, DH.  The most I do is stick the vacuum hose with attachment up there to see how far it reaches - definitely not far enough.  I can't get to the skylights, either. 

Our ceiling fans all need to be cleaned right now.  I keep meaning to do it, but I hate it. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#27 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 02:48 PM

I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the a/c in my bedroom last summer had pretty much quit working.  I started to take it out of the window, figuring it was time to replace it and I found a little slidey thing that I could take out of the front.  That is when I discovered that a/c's have a dust/lint trap that needs to be cleaned out occasionally.  It was like a whole new air conditioner when I turned it back on!  Magic!!  Sheepish.gif

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#28 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Phones.  It never occurred to me to clean a phone until someone else mentioned it.  Granted, I hadn't owned a phone all that long at the time.  It doesn't get that bad with light use from one adult.  

I grew up with the chore list including "door knob duty," wiping all the door knobs off with windex and a rag.

I've been out of the habit of cleaning the top of the fridge since tall people stopped coming over, lol, but I was just thinking I should do that soon.  And I used to have to pull out the fridge and stove to clean under them a couple times of year when we'd get a house mouse, but we didn't get any mice this year so I haven't done that since spring.  

If you use dryer sheets, it's important to really clean (with soap and water) the thing that catches lint because the residue builds up on it.  But I don't use dryer sheets...

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#29 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

Phones.  It never occurred to me to clean a phone until someone else mentioned it.  Granted, I hadn't owned a phone all that long at the time.  It doesn't get that bad with light use from one adult.  

I grew up with the chore list including "door knob duty," wiping all the door knobs off with windex and a rag.

I've been out of the habit of cleaning the top of the fridge since tall people stopped coming over, lol, but I was just thinking I should do that soon.  And I used to have to pull out the fridge and stove to clean under them a couple times of year when we'd get a house mouse, but we didn't get any mice this year so I haven't done that since spring.  

If you use dryer sheets, it's important to really clean (with soap and water) the thing that catches lint because the residue builds up on it.  But I don't use dryer sheets...

And remote controls! I read in a magazine that the germiest places in a house/office are the phone, remote, kitchen sink, and phone. I hadn't really thought of this thread in the terms of germs until I saw phones...popped that article back into my mind.

#30 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

And remote controls! I read in a magazine that the germiest places in a house/office are the phone, remote, kitchen sink, and phone. I hadn't really thought of this thread in the terms of germs until I saw phones...popped that article back into my mind.

And keyboards!  I took all the keys off ds's keyboard once, wiped the keys off and used a q-tip to get in all the cracks.  Dh's keyboard is absolutely disgusting.  I shook it upside down and you don't want to know about all the crud that fell out.  I started going over it like I did to ds's but haven't finished.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page