Are Used Mattresses Gross? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I used to not have any problems with used mattresses, couches, etc. until the bedbug problem became a huge issue in my town.  And a bedbug investation can travel to other furniture like chairs and couches, so I would be pretty careful about getting anything on-line from any unknown people.  I would consider it if (a) I knew the people, or (b) if there was no known bedbug problem in the area.

I have, on occassion, been up all night thinking that I had bedbugs (it was just in my imagination).  I'd prefer to sit on the floor than take that risk.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#32 of 41 Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 AM

Would people actually try and sell their couch if they knew they had bed bugs? I think you'd know right away when you get them....... I think?
I might not be able to buy a new couch for years. Okay, now I'm panicking.greensad.gif
#33 of 41 Old 02-24-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

I wouldn't, especially with the bed bug issues out there.  I'm not easily squicked out, but I couldn't do it.  What about Ikea?  They are pretty cheap. 

This.  I'm not normally squeamish either, but I couldn't bring myself to buy used matress or sofas. Just thinking about it makes me itchy.  Even when travel, unless it's my mom's house or a really close friend, I always bring matress pads/sheets and blankets.

#34 of 41 Old 02-24-2011, 01:10 PM

We have a used mattress for ourselves and both our kids. Doesn't bother us. We saw the houses they came from. Very clean. Have had them all for several months to over a year and no problems.

ErinsJuneBug likes this.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#35 of 41 Old 02-24-2011, 01:35 PM

That really depends on the store so its not necessarily true.  You could ask though but even then how can you really deep clean a mattress?  i would think it be a surface treatment.  When we donated a old mattress to a chain store type thrift store DH actually helped carried it in to the store itself where the employee placed a price tag right then and there.  Our mattress was clean just no longer the right size but still?  Clean things can carry stuff like bed bugs...just saying, we didnt have them.

Personally I wouldnt buy a 2nd hand mattress, take one from a relative, yep have done that but I know my mom's germs :)  so it didnt bother me. 

#36 of 41 Old 02-25-2011, 08:36 AM

I was thinking about this last night...My parents bought a condo in a ski resort town 5 or so years ago. When you buy condos in this area, they come completely furnished. Completely. All furniture, window treatments, bedding, towels, pots and pans, dishes, silverware, placemats, everything. The place is amazing and my family has spent many vacations and long weekends there. I guess my question is would this entire place (along with every other condo in the town) be considered "gross"?

#37 of 41 Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

I was thinking about this last night...My parents bought a condo in a ski resort town 5 or so years ago. When you buy condos in this area, they come completely furnished. Completely. All furniture, window treatments, bedding, towels, pots and pans, dishes, silverware, placemats, everything. The place is amazing and my family has spent many vacations and long weekends there. I guess my question is would this entire place (along with every other condo in the town) be considered "gross"?

Not the washable stuff, but I guess the furniture and mattresses could be. But that kind of stuff doesn't stop me from going to hotels or renting vacation homes, you know? Although we rented a house in Big Bear a couple of months ago, and it was absolutely beautiful -- spacious, clean, well stocked -- we had a wonderful time. But the last night, DH slept on the couch because DD needed to sleep with us and the bed wasn't big enough for all 3 of us, and when we came home he had bites all over his legs. So some critters were living in the couch, but thankfully they weren't in the beds and they didn't travel home with us. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#38 of 41 Old 02-25-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't find that gross.  I think my issue is with used mattresses of unknown origin, like off of craigslist, or on the curb.  If I knew someone who had an extra twin mattress because their kid outgrew it, I wouldn't have a problem taking it.  Or a family member.  If the condo were otherwise clean and well-kept, I would have no problem sleeping on that mattress.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#39 of 41 Old 02-25-2011, 03:20 PM

Stayed at a rental off the ca coast. I washed all my family bedding at the beginning of the trip. The other coule didn't,t and when they took off the sheets at the end of the we were all grossed out. Huge reddish.brown stains all over. Like an old murder scene!

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#40 of 41 Old 03-06-2011, 03:24 PM

maybe gently used from a friend/family member. but yeah strangers/thrift store you just don't know and i wouldn't want to take a chance.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#41 of 41 Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 AM

I think it would really depend on the source.  We buy new mattresses and put covers on them that are generally plastic on one side and fuzzy on the other side.  So I would like to think that my old mattresses would be good!  =P

You are all worrying me with the bedbed thing!  How do you know if you have them?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page