Are Used Mattresses Gross? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, DDs need mattresses.  Right now they are sleeping of foam mattresses that are, maybe, 5 inches thick and they're just not cutting it any more.  But we can't afford new mattresses, at least the ones I've found.  So, surfing on craigslist, I found some cheap/free ones but can't get past the icky feeling over used mattresses.  Are they gross to you?  Would you get a used mattress for your kids?

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#2 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wouldn't, especially with the bed bug issues out there.  I'm not easily squicked out, but I couldn't do it.  What about Ikea?  They are pretty cheap. 

#3 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm not easily grossed out either, so was wondering if I was justified in being grossed out by used mattresses LOL.  DD1 has had a very nasty case of impetigo from bedbug bites from a crappy hotel, so yes, bedbugs creep me out big time.  And wouldn't you know, we were just at Ikea on Sunday (2.5 hours away) and didn't think to look for mattresses.  Doh!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#4 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 PM

I think it depends on who had the mattress before. Are you getting it from a frat house or a brothel? A nice family who's kids have outgrown their bunk beds and want a larger bed? I would ask to come over and see the mattress before making any commitments, but I wouldn't completely rule it out as a possibility. Our guest room has a really nice mattress set we bought used, and one of my boys has a mattress that we bought "used" even though it had never been slept on. Both were great finds!

#5 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM

Yeah I'd probably go for new.  My kids are both using mattresses that dh and I had (individually) when we go married.  I'm not totally opposed to used, but it would depend on where they came from.

#6 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 PM

If you are buying from a second hand store, then the mattress will have been cleaned & certified before it is able to be sold.  I wouldn't do craigslist probably unless you are desperate.  You can probably get a new twin brand name like Sealy or Serta from a box club for less than $100.  Or look at a mattress store for a buy one get one free sale. 

#7 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 02:15 PM

I think it's gross, but I'm grossed out pretty easily.

#8 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 02:20 PM

I use to have little problems with it, but now with bed bugs...NOPE!!  That mattress could cost me more than it is worth. 

#9 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 PM

Um, yes they are. The Gods only know what someone has done on that mattress!

Just thinking about it makes my skin crawl.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#10 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 02:24 PM

I would never dare to buy a used mattress with the bed bug problem, and I actually refuse to buy DS a "regular" new mattress because I am also squicked out by chemicals in mattresses.  We have an organic king size mattress in my bedroom, and I can't bring myself to buy a bed for DS until I can afford a healthy one for him.  Right now he has a pile of blankets that are folded in the general shape of a toddler bed with a sheet over them.  If he ever wants to sleep in there, they will do the trick for the time being.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#11 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 02:24 PM

My kids AND my DH and I have had used mattresses before.  Usually not even from craigslist - we picked them up from the curb on garbage night.  Ours usually came from a neighborhood that was mainly elderly people, and the condition of the mattresses usually suggested that they were from spare rooms.

But, that was also before bedbugs were EVERYWHERE, and now even we (who have dumpster dove food and furniture for years) are squicked out by used mattresses - you can get nice clean ones from craigslist - a lot of times they're just outgrown, or they're upgrading, and there's nothing wrong with said mattress.

If you're still feeling squicked out though, if you have a Value City Furniture near you, they have layaway and reasonably priced mattresses.  :)   We actually just went to a TINY little local mattress store and picked up nice twin mattresses for under $100 a piece.  We had to save for over a month to swing it, but the guy there was super helpful and his prices were ridiculously low.

#12 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Um, yes they are. The Gods only know what someone has done on that mattress!

Just thinking about it makes my skin crawl.

yeahthat.gif cold.gif

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#13 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 03:02 PM

I'd go for a $100 twin sized, new mattress over a used one that you don't know the history of.  I could see if it were a family member's, and you knew it sat in a guest room, or something.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 03:06 PM

When I was young and poor I bought used from the thrift store.  They most definitely were not cleaned before being sold and were generally lumpy and unsupportive. 

I would have to be desperate to do that now.  I'd worry about bedbugs, not to mention who knows what else is on them.  If it were from a source I trusted I might be okay with it but not from a random source.

In summary, they used to be acceptable to me but not anymore.

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#15 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 03:14 PM

I buy EVERYTHING used.

EVERYTHING except mattresses.  Even when we were dirt poor we saved up the $300 while sleeping on the floor to get a new mattress.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#16 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM

I've only had used mattresses for the past ten years. I considered it safer than the chemical-laden new mattresses. That being said- I only obtained them from people we sorta knew. I would never get a used mattress from a stranger.

#17 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

when in temp housing, we went with unfurnished unit and went to ikea.

we got 3 of the cheapest foam twin mattresses that we just put on the floor.  i slept great.

i think they were about $150

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#18 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

My gut reaction is that it's gross, but I guess every time we stay in a hotel we sleep on a used mattress...

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#19 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 04:51 PM

Are bedbugs seriously that common? I remember hearing about them spreading through dorms in a couple places, but I wasn't under the impression it was such an epdidemic?

#20 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 04:56 PM

You can get great futon mattresses for a fraction of the cost of reg mattresses/box spring.  Our futon mattresses are all 11 layers thick and made specifically for a bed not a bed/sofa frame.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#21 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes bedbugs are a HUGE problem.  So many mommas end up over in the Home Management section needing help to get rid of the suckers.

No way under any condition would I buy a used mattress.  I buy an air mattress at a big box store before a used one.

#22 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

My gut reaction is that it's gross, but I guess every time we stay in a hotel we sleep on a used mattress...

The #1 reason I prefer camping. We only stay in hotels when absolutely necessary.

(On and off topic note: that is the first time I've ever spelled 'necessary' right on my first try! Yay me! joy.gif)

sosurreal09 likes this.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#23 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 PM

I think we would all prefer new mattresses, but sometimes we can't afford them!  You can buy plastic zip up covers that will completely encase the mattress so that you don't have to touch it. 

#24 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 07:42 PM

I wouldn't buy a used mattress for myself but I can understand that in situations where finances are hard that it's better than sleeping on the floor.  I would recommend checking out costco or sam's club because i know that you can get a twin sized mattress for 99 bucks.  THat's what we got for our son and he's fine. 

gl

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#25 of 41 Old 02-23-2011, 08:09 PM

Yeah, even if you don't have a membership, I'm sure someone you know does.  If you're worried about off-gassing, just let it air out outside for a few days. 

#26 of 41 Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

Are bedbugs seriously that common? I remember hearing about them spreading through dorms in a couple places, but I wasn't under the impression it was such an epdidemic?

Bedbugs were a major news story for several months over the summer/fall of last year, starting with New York but with reports everywhere. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#27 of 41 Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm the queen of used/trash-picked furniture. But new mattresses are a must!

#28 of 41 Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

OP here!  Glad I'm not the only one who finds used mattresses gross.  So I'll just embrace my squeamishness and run with it. I found a local furniture store that has twin mattresses for $89 each with 90 days same as cash, so I think we'll go for that!  I saw one guy on craigslist selling his twin mattress, saying that he used it in college 10 years ago and his daughter is using it now, and I thought, my, who knows what this guy did on that mattress when he was in college? LOL  Gross!

Musician Dad, "necessary" is the bane of my existence LOL!

#29 of 41 Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

And yes, bedbugs are a big problem.  DD1 got bedbugs bites from a hotel and impetigo (gross picture here LOL)  Ever since then I am quite freaked out by them.  We definitely prefer camping.

#30 of 41 Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM

What about couches? Mine is trashed and I've been waiting until August for our prime dumpster season to hit (college town) . There are so many good couches to choose from that we call that time of year "The Festival Of Couches." I am really paranoid about bed bugs though because we had a known case in town, so I am assuming I'm going to have to stop dumpster diving, or really be careful. I knew that, but for some reason when I'd think about replacing the couch, I kept telling myself it would get taken care of.
Is it safe to Craigslist a couch or still really risky?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page