Are you addicted to house hunting? Even if you love where you live? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love looking at real estate listings.  I admit it, I'm an addict.  ;-)

I love our house.  I do.  But I never canceled the email updates I set up from realtor.com when we were thinking of moving.  So I still get a notification every time something in our area goes on the market.

A house in our neighborhood that I LOVE.  L-O-V-E just went on the market at a huge price reduction.  It is a foreclosure and about 70% off right now.  It is still more than we spent on ours.  Probably more than we could have spent but we might have been able to stretch it.  I don't know.

I've loved this house since I first saw it about 5 years ago when the price was untouchable by us.

I have house lust.  :lol

Anyone else not be able to keep from window shopping? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM

Me!

It took us 2 solid years before we found our current house.  That was 8 years ago and I still look at real estate listings weekly.  I don't love my current house, but we aren't moving for at least another year.  And I have no idea if we'll even stay in this area.  But I really do love to look!

#3 of 25 Old 03-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Me too!  I look at houses on line a lot and I watch House Hunters and House Hunters International on HGTV almost daily. 

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
#4 of 25 Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairy2dogs View Post

Me too!  I look at houses on line a lot and I watch House Hunters and House Hunters International on HGTV almost daily. 

Have you watched Selling New York?  I love real estate shows.

Usually all my looking just reinforces that our impulse buy of a house was the right decision.  I just cannot believe how much the price on this other house has been slashed.

#5 of 25 Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post

Have you watched Selling New York?  I love real estate shows.

Usually all my looking just reinforces that our impulse buy of a house was the right decision.  I just cannot believe how much the price on this other house has been slashed.

Yes, I like it because the homes are so different from homes here in the mid west.  I also watch Designed to Sell, Income Property, Get It sold, Property Virgins, Real Estate Intervention....Pretty much all of them related to real estate, lol.  Maybe I have a problem? lol  We've lived in this house for 11 yrs and I love it and hate it.  I want to buy a new house.  I found a house online in our area that also drastically cut their price.  Its not a foreclosure so not as much as your talking but its down something like $150,000 from where it was.  But it won't happen unless dh gets a new job with a drastic pay increase.  ah, well, back to looking and dreaming.

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
#6 of 25 Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Oh gosh, I watch all of those too!  ***High Five***

I cannot believe the prices in New York.  Just cannot.  I thought prices were somewhat high here (Chicago area) but we don't come close to New York.

I have no desire to move but I love looking.  Well, ok, maybe to this house that just had the price slashed but probably not, maybe, yeah, probably.  :lol

#7 of 25 Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Me me!  I love all of those shows also!  My husband despises HGTV.  lmao

We're in the process of moving.  We close and move in two weeks.  We first put our house on the market last July, so it's been a long time coming.  We were told by my father, who owns a construction/real estate company, to find a new house before our house sold, so we did.  We resigning the contingency 3 times but ended up letting it go.  Our house sold a month later.  haha!  That house was still on the market but we decided to see what else was out there.  While the house we found the first time was okay for us, the house we found this time was perfect!  It has everything we need, and even overlooks the Mark Twain National Forest, with a great view from our kitchen!  We're going from a house in the suburbs to a 5 acre plot of land. 

Still...I love looking at listings.  At the same time I don't.  What if I find something even more perfect?  Will I forever have buyers regret?  I'm trying to limit myself b/c of that. 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#8 of 25 Old 03-02-2011, 09:10 PM

I am totally addicted to looking at houses. As a renter in an area with an impossible housing market (San Francisco Bay Area) its probably not good for my long term mental health...but I just love historic homes so much. I love seeing what people have done with the insides (which is sometimes awesome and sometimes sacrilege!). I also love to dream about what I would do with the back yards, and where I would put my garden.

Ah, someday...

I love redfin the best. Virtual tours are great...especially full screen ones.

On a side note I recently found a virtual tour of the house I grew up in. (very far away from where I currently live).

Here is one of a house nearish where I currently live. I want this house.

Verrrrry different from one another.
#9 of 25 Old 03-03-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMama View Post

Still...I love looking at listings.  At the same time I don't.  What if I find something even more perfect?  Will I forever have buyers regret?  I'm trying to limit myself b/c of that. 

Congrats on your move!  I have no buyers remorse because I truly love our house and know we got an amazing deal on it.  But I majorly have house lust.  Last night I jokingly asked DH if we could buy it, he said no.  *sniff*

The kicker is the house I'm in lust with is 2 doors down from his ex partner.  Not really a place we'd want to live.  And it has a pool.  I don't want a pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

Oh my gosh, that is gorgeous!  I want to do that multi-colored tile in DS's bathroom.  It just looks like such a happy room.

#10 of 25 Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 AM

>>> Complete and utter real estate addict <<<

#11 of 25 Old 03-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

This house is AMAZING!!!!! 

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#12 of 25 Old 03-03-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
Congrats on your move!  I have no buyers remorse because I truly love our house and know we got an amazing deal on it.  But I majorly have house lust.  Last night I jokingly asked DH if we could buy it, he said no.  *sniff*

That's true.  We've been looking at houses in all of the states around us, and this is probably the best house we've found since we started looking last May.  The house is only 8 years old and almost perfect (they did the inspection and only found a tiny rip in the screen door and they were missing a certain type of outlet above the sink...our house is 4 years old and the inspection was worse than that!), and $125k for 5 acres and a 1700sqft house...we can't really beat that. 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#13 of 25 Old 03-04-2011, 04:41 AM

I constantly send dh listings. So many good deals out there. I want to buy a house and rent it to my friend,so I can get her close by. Would also love a house close to ours for my mom or visiting family. And while I love our house I would love more land with a creek!

#14 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 PM

Yep, constantly. We don't like where we live at all and will likely move soon, but we don't know to where. It is very silly for me to be house shopping, but I do enjoy it. I also used to really enjoy real estate shows. We don't have tv anymore, and I do miss them. 

#15 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Me too! I like our property and we plan to build on it so of course I can get the house I want. I still love looking at listings and dreaming though. I wouldn't get anything else but I can dream. I really lust after old farmhouses. I *love* them although I don't want to live in one for practical reasons I still dream of them. Ohhh...

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#16 of 25 Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 AM

I love looking at houses! We finally bought our house a year and a half ago but I still look now and then. At first I was worried that I'd find something "better" but really, that hasn't happened. We got our house at an incredibly low price for where it is, even with all the work we've had to do on it. And we love it so much (or will, once we finish with it!). The location couldn't be better. 

My sister rents and moves every year so I go apartment hunting with her. I love getting glimpses into other people's lives! 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#17 of 25 Old 03-17-2011, 04:13 PM

We bought our house last May and I still browse, mostly to remind myself what a great house and great deal we got...so mostly for validation...our house needs a ton of work to get it where we want to be but it is more fun for us to decorate and redesign how we want it than to have a picture-perfect house that is not our style but is just nice enough that it would be tough to justify re-doing stuff. But it is nice to see what others have done, so I love to look at listings for that purpose as well.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#18 of 25 Old 03-27-2011, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

yes- I want this place! ha ha

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6350-Camino-De-La-Costa_La-Jolla_CA_92037_M12495-10531?source=hp

only 29 million dollars- smile.gif

obviously I am joking! IT is like a hotel- it is pretty though! For someone who has that kind of money to spend on a house, wow!

#19 of 25 Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWillow View Post

>>> Complete and utter real estate addict <<<

This is me innocent.gif  We live in Australia and rent a house (we're actually moving this weekend, EEK! lol)  I dream of owning our own place, but even in this rather less than desirable area house prices are 300k and up... although you can find a smaller fixer upper for less at times.  But the schools etc are sad, the neighborhood is not great and the people are not overly friendly unless you are from the same ethnic group as they are.   :(      I have stopped looking at the rental listings lol, as we found a good place for now... but I'm still prowling the houses for sale avidly!  winky.gif  Sometimes I find a bargain and it makes me think that ownership might be possible in a year or two.. then other times I go OMG they want HOW much for that house in bogan ville????? lol

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#20 of 25 Old 03-29-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post

yes- I want this place! ha ha

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6350-Camino-De-La-Costa_La-Jolla_CA_92037_M12495-10531?source=hp

only 29 million dollars- smile.gif

obviously I am joking! IT is like a hotel- it is pretty though! For someone who has that kind of money to spend on a house, wow!

Wow, that place is gorgeous!  *drool*

#21 of 25 Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 PM

I can't believe I found this conversation on Mothering!  I was doing a search on 'addicted to house hunting' and this was the first place I clicked.  It was so comforting that it was Mothering and that there would be other like-minded women here - who also love looking at houses!  I've been in my house for 4 short years and love it, but find myself wanting to move already.  I'm trying to figure out why because my family is perfectly happy where we are (I wouldn't leave the school district).

I've found a house in the next neighborhood, which is smaller and makes me feel I could stay in it through retirement. There's something about being in my house, knowing we'll sell it when the kids grow up, that makes me feel I can't call it home.  I think this might be a theme with me - I only feel truly at home when I visit my hometown, even tho my mother doesn't live in the house I grew up in.  Is this more about finding a sense of home than it is about the house?  If this is the case, I probably need to wait out the season - I always feel more cozy in my house when I start nesting for the fall and winter.  I could also look for ways to make my house feel more like home.

Anyone else have this strange sense of looking for home through house hunting?  Carol

#22 of 25 Old 08-11-2011, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm dreaming of a little place on the Oregon coast! Maybe its the two teenagers in the house.

This site has become my little escape for a few minutes each week.

http://www.marymacrealtor.com/

#23 of 25 Old 08-11-2011, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Florence is my hometown, it's absolutely wonderful there and you are only about 60 miles from Eugene too. i wish I could go back but I just cant afford it :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I'm dreaming of a little place on the Oregon coast! Maybe its the two teenagers in the house.

This site has become my little escape for a few minutes each week.

http://www.marymacrealtor.com/

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#24 of 25 Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post

Florence is my hometown, it's absolutely wonderful there and you are only about 60 miles from Eugene too. i wish I could go back but I just cant afford it :(

I've been seeing small homes for under 200K. Some close to the water. Seems like a lot of folks are getting rid of the second home in this economy.
#25 of 25 Old 08-12-2011, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I've been seeing small homes for under 200K. Some close to the water. Seems like a lot of folks are getting rid of the second home in this economy.

well considering my house cost 50k lol

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page