Talk to me about washing machines please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Two weeks from today we move into our new house.  We are leaving our washer and dryer behind and plan to purchase new ones once we get down there.  I just have NO clue what to get.  I know it doesn't make much of a difference, but we will be on a septic system and using well water.  If we are ever blessed with another child, I would like to use cloth diapers.  I've heard about half/half regarding whether front or top loaders are best for cloth dipes.  I don't want to completely base our decision on that, though, b/c that may never happen (we've been TTC for 10.5 years).  I'm leaning towards a front loader, but am still opened minded (we have a top loader atm).  Otherwise it's just a family of 3 with minimal laundry usually, but we usually wash full loads. 

What are the best, most reliable brands?  What do you think would work best for our circumstances?  I have experience using the Whirlpool Duet, and I like the steam version of it.  We have a budget of about $1500 max for both a washer and dryer.  Tell me the bad ones also, so I can avoid those.  Any and all advice would be great, thanks!!

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#2 of 7 Old 03-03-2011, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing? greensad.gif Nobody owns a washing machine?

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!

#3 of 7 Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 PM

I have no advice in general but I can tell you that I love my washer. We have this. Its about two years old, and I probably do at least one load a day...usually more. No issues so far.

It has a sanitary cycle which has been useful. We wash our cloth diapers without issues (although not usually with the sanitary cycle). I don't know about well water but we have very hard water and I've found that borax solves that problem. You can stuff quite a bit into the washer, but I have found that the clothes don't really get clean that way.

We have the matching dryer too...stacked currently.

ETA: I just noticed your location...I actually bought my washer in Omaha. Then I trucked it out to California. Funny dat.
#4 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post!  :)  I appreciate it!  That's funny that you bought it in Omaha.  lol

#5 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 07:37 PM

We have a Fischer and Paykel Ecosmart washer and love it. It has some of the benefits of a front loader, but also has an agitator and is a top loader.

http://www.fisherpaykel.com//admin/pdfs/pdf_usecares/4431_USA_EcoSmart_Washer_UG9_LRES.pdf

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#6 of 7 Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 AM

We have a Miele, which if you get a washer and dryer, is definitely way out of your budget, but as far as energy efficiency, ability to clean and reliability, made it my top choice. We just didn't get a dryer and line dry all year round...if you did that, it would fit your budget and I highly recommend them!

Mother to one (8/08) with another on the way (04/11)
#7 of 7 Old 03-07-2011, 07:39 AM

I have a Bosch 500 Plus.  I LOVE my Bosch appliances.  Just a few things if you are considering a European made front loader, since you said you have a top loader, I think these are some things that most people are surprised by.  The cycles are LONG.  You will be waiting for the washer to finish to start your next load, not the dryer like with a typical top loader set.  You may (I know this is true of Bosch, I don't know about other brands) lose the ability to set each individual function, like water temp, load size, regular/gentle, etc.  The cycles are all preprogrammed so you pick, say, a "regular" cycle and you get the preprogrammed settings for that cycle.  I have read in reviews that some people do not like not being able to select a customized cycle like you can do on a regular, American-style top loader.  My washer senses the size of the load and automatically adds the right amount of water, so I have to adjust the detergent accordingly.  I am not at all bothered by this and really all the controls are there, they are just sort of automatically grouped into one certain cycle.  Just a few things you might consider in your search.  My brother and his wife have a Fisher/Paykel set that they really like.  But it breaks, a lot.  The upside of that though, is they are very easy to repair.  My brother (an electrician, so he does most of the repairs himself) has told me that it takes longer to get his tools out than to make the repair!  Literally snap out the old part, snap in the new.  They have 5 kids, so their machine gets LOTS of use.  HTH!

Happy wife of Treading.gif  mom to L lady.gif and Mjog.gif

Tags
Laundry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page