Where do you shop?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-13-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was just wondering where everyone buys their clothing for themselves and family? Do you mostly sew your own, buy used or do you have a shop in your area that sells clothing made in an ethical way with natural fibers or online?

I am wondering because I was thinking about the products we purchase. As a family we try really hard to have a light impact and buy natural products however, when it comes to clothing this is an area that we fail at this. I am pretty sure most of our clothing is made oversees in "sweatshop" type conditions and I would like to change this but, I have had a hard time figuring out where to start...Just wondering what everyone else does.

Rainbow.gif Megan

#2 of 8 Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 AM

95% of our clothing comes from the thrift store, we do buy shoes, socks and underwear new, but everything else is technically "used" clothing.

We do so mainly for cost purposes, when I look at the cost of new clothing, even cheap stuff at Target is grossly overpriced to me, never mind the sweatshop ethical part.

#3 of 8 Old 03-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post

95% of our clothing comes from the thrift store, we do buy shoes, socks and underwear new, but everything else is technically "used" clothing.

We do so mainly for cost purposes, when I look at the cost of new clothing, even cheap stuff at Target is grossly overpriced to me, never mind the sweatshop ethical part.

You stole my post. My family is the same and we have great clothing swaps in the PDX area. No money at all changes hands.

#4 of 8 Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 AM

I have found this awesome Thrift Store by me that always has tons of baby and kids clothes.  I barely ever buy anything new for my kids, especially since they grow out of it so fast.  I will buy jeans new for myself, but most of my clothes come from thrift stores too.  Except it has been soooo long since I've bought anything for myself.  I really need new clothes, but I'm trying to lose weight so I don't want to go out and buy new stuff, just to not have it fit again in a few months.  I'll probably wait a little while longer. 

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#5 of 8 Old 03-15-2011, 07:23 PM

We're so not there yet. I feel like I can't just flip a switch and make everything be "right," so we're switching here and there to things that are more sustainable. Right now, we buy our clothes at the mall or online. I do avoid some things, like Wal-mart, because of their practices. But I definitely haven't cut off consumerism. 

#6 of 8 Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post

We're so not there yet. I feel like I can't just flip a switch and make everything be "right," so we're switching here and there to things that are more sustainable. Right now, we buy our clothes at the mall or online. I do avoid some things, like Wal-mart, because of their practices. But I definitely haven't cut off consumerism. 

This is exactly where we are at too, no walmart however, I go to target which seems like the same thing. This is why I am trying to find some better solutions however, the thrift stores in my area are not that great. I love anthropologies clothing and I always think of these cool thrift stores in the bay area that have that type of stuff and I wish I had that around here....I think I need to do some investigating!

I will keep reading to get ideas. Thanks

#7 of 8 Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 AM

We shop at resale stores. Can't beat cloths for $5 or less. Love the 50 cent Mondays where EVERYTHING is 50 cents each. I buy undies and socks new. Most often shoes new.

#8 of 8 Old 03-16-2011, 07:16 PM

Thrift stores, eBay, my mom gives me clothes that don't fit her right or that she doesn't wear anymore, sometimes I buy new (we were getting those Kohl's $10 cards quite a bit over summer so I bought a couple shirts, a skirt, and a sweater) but mostly stick to used.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page