Help me get rid of plastic food storage containers... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-17-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas,

I want to rid my home of the numerous pieces of tupperware-like containers we are currently using.  I'm finding lots of great alternatives, but they are EXPENSIVE!  At the minimum, I make DH's lunch - salad and a sandwich - every weekday, and I generally use at least one storage container after dinner, sometimes lunch.  Does anyone have thoughts/suggestions on some affordable options?  (and no, sadly, I am not crafty enough to sew my own sandwich pouches.)

Also - pardon my ignorance - is it bad to have some plastic involved if it does not touch the food or ever go into the dishwasher or get heated in the microwave?  For example, these (more affordable) glass containers below have a "silicone" lid - I thought maybe I could only put the glass part in the dishwasher and handwash (not in hot water!) the plastic lids?

http://www.amazon.com/GlassLock-1332-17-Ounce-Food-Storage-Containers/dp/B0027926FO/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1300391093&sr=1-1

And these sandwich pouches do have plastic linings - but again, if the plastic is not ever heated would these be bad to use?

http://www.amazon.com/Konserve-Green-5-Pack-Food-Kozy/dp/B0032UXTA8/ref=pd_sim_dbs_k_3

Thank you in advance!!

Sammy

#2 of 8 Old 03-20-2011, 05:15 PM

That seems ok to me - I'm transitioning to pyrex with rubber? lids - i think the sandwich wraps are fine, especially if they are only hand washed...  also waxed paper always works just fine...

#3 of 8 Old 03-20-2011, 05:38 PM

I recently got rid of almost all of my plastic containers. We had a variety of store-brand and name brand gladware type containers and the lids weren't compatible from brand to brand and I got sick of trying to guess which generic container went with which generic lid. Plus, I really wanted to de-plastic my kitchen. I had a few Pyrex containers I liked, so we ended up going the Pyrex route. They have a ton of different sets (round ones, rectangle ones, various size mixing bowls with lids, etc.) so we just got a few different sets. The lids are rubber or silicone or something and they do have some that come with 2 sets of lids...a glass lid and a silicone/rubber lid for each container. I figure the lid doesn't really touch the food, so it's ok. The Pyrex containers were really affordable and the quality is good (the original ones I have are probably 11+ yrs old and I can't really tell the difference between the old and new ones).

I kept a few plastic containers for use in the freezer (I'm scared of exploding a glass container from liquids freezing and expanding in the freezer!) and to send food home with guests (so I don't have to worry about getting my nice containers back). I tossed all the other old plastic containers in the recycling.

I don't have any experience with the sandwich wraps.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#4 of 8 Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 AM

We have Pyrex, I think this might be the set that I bought? http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=15950099 

I know it was on "sale", maybe $5 cheaper and I used a 20% off coupon to bring the price down even further.

I have zero issues with the plastic lids. Food doesn't really touch the lid, and I don't microwave it, so it's a non-issue for us. For me, the air tight seal was much more important that staying away from a plastic lid, since the actual container is glass where the food touches.

Have had this now for 2-3 years, no complaints, no issues, very happy overall.

#5 of 8 Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 AM

We have had the pyrex containers for about 4 years now and several of the lids have cracked and are now useless. V annoying.

I also have some galss containers that came in a set from Costco ($20 for 5 boxes in Canada) and they seem like a better design with a lid that has 2 hinges that snap down.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#6 of 8 Old 03-25-2011, 08:52 PM

We have a ton of the Pyrex ones, and we love them.  I keep building my collection to hopefully be rid of almost all of my plastic containers (DH wants to keep a few on hand).  I only ever store in the glass, though.  

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#7 of 8 Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 AM

I use a lot of mason jars for storing food. We have 2 sets of the ToGo Ware tiffin carrier, too, and we use those quite often. I've got old Pyrex that I bought at a junk store (shop around for this--it can be expensive because it's kind of a collectable). I also have ceramic containers with snap-on plastic lids that I bought at an Asian grocery store (H-Mart, for what it's worth). I also occasionaly use wax paper bags that I buy at Whole Foods. 

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#8 of 8 Old 03-30-2011, 03:09 PM

I am currently in the process of switching to glass pyrex containers.  I also have some Pampered Chef mixing bowls that have lids that are freezer/dishwasher/oven safe up to 350*F (without the lid in the oven).  They all work fantastic, the main thing to remember is some types of silicone/rubber are made to be exposed to heat and therefore don't put out the toxic stuff that some of the other plastics do.  Also, I am taking my plastics and using them for non food storage.  I make my own laundry detergents, dishwasher detergent, and various other soaps.  They work great for that kind of thing.  You can also use them to plant things in if you poke holes in the bottom, or even for small toy or game storage depending on the sizes.  When they are completely trashed you can still recycle them at a recycle center as long as it's the right type of plastic.  You can get very creative if you want to.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page