Do the ingredients in this cleaner seem okay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been using and really like this cleaner made by sensaria: http://www.sensaria.com/index.php?ProductID=55&CategoryID=27

They claim to be all natural, etc, but I never really know how meaningful that is and I'm not an expert at what ingredients are harmful, so before I buy any more I thought I'd ask if anyone spotted any thing yucky I should be avoiding on this ingredient list:

Complete Ingredients Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamide DEA, Ionic Surfactant Blend, Fragrance, Citric Acid, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Mactocystis Pyriferae (Kelp) Extract, Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey) Leaf Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Tilia Cordata (Linden/Lime Tree) Flower Extract, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, DMDM Hydantoin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 PM
kkd

I'm not familiar with the company or products at all, but I try to avoid products with "fragrance".  Usually this is a synthetic/chemical ingredient and because of how it is labeled you don't know what "fragrance" contains.  If it's a product you really like and use a ton of, you could try contacting the company to see what they say about that ingredient?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM

Ditch the cleaner.  Major skin irritants, including ingredients number 2, 3, and the last 2.  Number 3 has shown correlations to cancer and miscarriages.  The last two are preservatives and breakdown releasing formaldehyde into the product.  That is all from a quick search on google...There is NOTHING natural about this cleaner at all.

Stick with vinegar, baking soda, and lemon.  If you want to buy a cleaner, check out Seventh Generation or JR Watkins.  They are supposed to be pretty decent.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!   I had a feeling this would be the case, but find the research super overwhelming.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebsmommy25 View Post

Ditch the cleaner.  Major skin irritants, including ingredients number 2, 3, and the last 2.  Number 3 has shown correlations to cancer and miscarriages.  The last two are preservatives and breakdown releasing formaldehyde into the product.  That is all from a quick search on google...There is NOTHING natural about this cleaner at all.

Stick with vinegar, baking soda, and lemon.  If you want to buy a cleaner, check out Seventh Generation or JR Watkins.  They are supposed to be pretty decent.

I second that.  We are a vinegar home here.

I do not think that brand is "natural" at all.  My MIL loves those products and I get them every year for x-mas and end up re-gifting them  2whistle.gif

Another resource for looking products up....  most products are on this site.  They ask for donations but not needed to look things up. 

http://www.ewg.org/

'09   

User Tag List