my natural mattress search - for DC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thought I'd share incase anyone else in on the lookout:

Recently I wanted/needed to purchase a mattress for my boys. Most of the time we have 4 people in our bed and are expecting one in the summer so I knew this wasn't going to work. I really wanted to go the natural route since my mom recently had bought a conventional mattress and got sick... plus other reasons of course.

I decided to go with a double bed to put them both in and hope this will work. My husband really limited my money to spend since he felt we should just buy one at Big Lots and let it off gas a few months, but I read that they keep off gassing forever, so it was a no go for me.

I found a great one for $1400 that had a 10 year warranty, plus 90 return available... but that was above our budget. But if you have that money go for it!

I ran across these directions http://www.ehow.com/how_6912813_make-own-wool-mattress.html on making your own mattress and remembered all the blankets we have from moving. So I laid out all our blankets (9) and comforters (2) in the shape of a full bed. Wasn't quite soft enough so we went to Big Lots and picked up another comforter for $25. DH and DS1 slept on that for a week or two and were fine. 

Then I got this natural latex topper and put it on the pile of blankets http://www.mattresses.net/3-inch-latex-mattress-topper.html. It's super nice, but DH thought it was too soft for him (definitely softer then a bed of blankets!). So now DS2 and me, at 5 months pregnant, are sleeping on it. I really feel like it is helping me sleep more comfortably and works well for me.

I had originally planned to go with two latex toppers (3") as suggested in this post. However, since they have no guarantee (clearance) I decided to just buy one and try it out. Then we put it on the blankets and it was just fine so left it like that.

I have seriously considered just getting a topper to have to pull out for company, or getting one for our king size bed. It's just so nice and such a good deal and they last approx 30+ years! Plus, they are bendable so you could bend it over if you just want it on one side of the bed or cut it and stack. 

Most stuff I read about natural latex beds is that you go to the store and try them out (which I don't have the luxury of here in podunk). Many are build your own and you choose the softness or firmness. If you have a store in your area to check them out then definitely do it!

Here are some other options I looked into:

A green spring mattress:

A cheap natural latex core, and thought about putting a topper on it as well.

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!
#2 of 2 Old 04-05-2011, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We also sell latex cores for those looking for a clean budget alternative. We just built a mattress for my daughters bunk bed using 2 - 2" latex cores....And all organic mattresses and bedding are 10% off this month (Earth Day Sale) with the code "earth"

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page