How to clean tile grout in bathroom? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all our bathroom is the lovely 1970's tile type and we have mildew issues with our grout in the shower. I am struggling with finding a way to effectively clean it, I want to avoid bleach, and I have heard that vinegar can actually sort of eat away at grout (has anyone else heard this). Vinegar and baking soda are my usual go tos any thoughts suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

the best way to deal with mildew is to prevent it from happening. Keep the room well ventilated. If this is in the shower, keep the curtain open so it dries

#3 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 AM

Hydrogen Peroxide!!!  Fill a spray bottle with 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 water.  Spray it on, let it sit an hour, rinse off.  Voila!!!!  Also, you can add a few drops of TTO if you're feeling up to it.  Also works to keep mildew away - just spray it on each day after everyone showers.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#4 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 07:15 PM

This is totally not eco-friendly-- but it works great. I have 1700 sq feet of tile with white grout (not a smart choice). After trying many things, I discovered that sprinkling a very light amt of Cascade dishwashing powder on the grout and scrubbing with a stiff brush gets it off very easily and really brightens it. 

For showers I agree that using hydrogen peroxide would get a great way to prevent the mildew.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#5 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 PM

Is the mildew in the grout or the caulk? If it's the edges around the shower and looks flexible/silicone-y, it's probably the caulk. I don't think there's any way to clean that other than re-caulking since the mildew is underneath it.Supposedly re-caulking is an easy DIY project. I spray a bleach/water mix on mine which improves it but it still looks awful. I agree w/ the PP that the best solution is prevention (plenty of ventilation, drying off shower after each use, etc, but of course that's hindsight (and a pain, lol. )

ETA if it's the grout I just scrub mine w/ a brush. Vinegar is definitely caustic on grout, but you can apply a sealer yearly, and that really is an easy job.

#6 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 09:05 PM

So glad I saw this. I am having a similar problem with my shower. I can get it out of the grout but not down where the caulk is. I am hoping it is something I can attempt myself because it is really grossing me out. We have always had problems with this shower. We are careful to leave the door open after showers and, weather permitting, leave the window open. I know my mom had used vingar in there though so I will be sure not to let her do that anymore.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page