Squirt bottles for homemade cleansers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-07-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've purchased a ton of squirt bottles for my homemade cleansers, and they all stop working within a few months. I hate to keep tossing all that plastic, not to mention wasting money on them. Anyone know where I can get good squirt bottles? I've tried Joann, Target, the dollar store, etc.

I don't know what makes them not squirt any more. I typically use stuff like water, detergent (sal suds), vinegar, a tiny amount of essential oils, washing soda. Are there just a ton of crappy squirt bottles out there, or is it a physics thing, they'll squirt water but not soapy water?
#2 of 11 Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 PM

Thanks for posting this question!  I have the exact same problem.  Hopefully, someone can offer up some recommendations.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#3 of 11 Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 PM

I have the same problem too, and thought about posting with the same question! You beat me.

Dh called the manufacturer of one spray bottle we had because he was so miffed that it stopped working), and they claimed it is due to the essential oils. I guess the oils clog the spray mechanism somehow.

The company actually sent us two new "industrial quality" spray bottles, and, guess what--they stopped working too. Boo.

Does this mean that all of us using homemade cleansers with essential oils are having this issue?!? I have wondered what other mamas did...

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#4 of 11 Old 04-07-2011, 11:45 PM

I've had the same problem with no solution yet. I did find one I really liked that my mom had gotten at Costco ages ago; I checked and they have some similar-looking ones now, but they are taller and won't fit on the shelf I have for them. The search continues for me, but maybe those will work for someone else?
#5 of 11 Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 AM

We got ours at an auto supply store, like Discount Auto Parts or something similar. Maybe they are more heavy duty since they usually hold really toxic chemicals -- but ours have been working great for about 5 years now (although one did break but the others are holding up great).

You may try there and find more success. Hope that helps :)

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#6 of 11 Old 04-11-2011, 06:27 AM

I reused one bottle, the Clorox Green Works I think, and that worked really well, it was vinegar/water/EOs.

Just the other day I went to The Container Store, they have large plain bottles for $5. So far, so good... we'll see in a month or two though.

#7 of 11 Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 AM

You could try getting heavy duty bottles from a hardware store. They aren't pretty and generally won't be available in smaller sizes, but they should last longer.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#8 of 11 Old 04-11-2011, 02:10 PM

Nope these aren't any better. I used to buy them for work for a state park and we were putting general cleaners in them and they often didn't work from day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post

You could try getting heavy duty bottles from a hardware store. They aren't pretty and generally won't be available in smaller sizes, but they should last longer.

#9 of 11 Old 04-11-2011, 02:12 PM

I have two Biokleen bottles that I've had for years. I originally bought the cleaner and then started making my own stuff. They both still work going on 10+ years later!! I've got vinegar/water in one. The other has a soap/tea tree oil/lemon mix. No clogging or anything.

#10 of 11 Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 AM

I reuse the Method bottles. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#11 of 11 Old 04-12-2011, 02:35 PM

I don't use EO, but I use a small spray bottle that I got from Walmart a couple years ago.  It has vinegar, dish soap, and water in it.  It has yet to give out on me.  It's about the height of a Method hand soap dispenser, so I have to refill it more often, but I like that it is small and light.  I got it in the health and beauty section, by where you get the travel soaps and stuff.  They have small refillable shampoo bottles and small spray bottles. 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page