Anyone use a Wonder Wash and spin dryer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-13-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(cross-posted to diapering forum)

We have a full size washer and dryer, but will have a new baby soon and will be cloth diapering again.  I've decided to get a Wonder Washhttp://www.laundry-alternative.com/catalog/Washing-5-1.html and spin dryer http://www.laundry-alternative.com/products/Spin_Dryer.html for diaper laundry to save time, money, water, and electricity.  We will use the Wonder Wash as a diaper pail after rinsing poopies with the mini shower.  Probably will do a rinse, wash, and two more rinses, then put them in the spin dryer, then hang to dry outside.  Anyone ever use these before?  Any suggestions or advice?

Mama K: Child of God, wife to S, mama to 3 little beauties and 1 handsome little guy!

#2 of 3 Old 04-14-2011, 07:38 AM

We have a Wonder Wash. We don't often use it now, as DS only uses the potty. It got a lot of use when he was very little and we lived in an apartment without our own washer and dryer. We washed diapers as you plan to, except we kept a seperate diaper pail. Rinse, hot wash, warm rinse, cold rinse.

I used mine in the bathtub, for convenience. I could fill and empty easily that way. I did not have the spin dryer, but I would have loved it! The most difficult part for me was wringing the prefolds out, so that they would dry on the line.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#3 of 3 Old 04-20-2011, 06:48 PM

I used the wonder wash and spin dryer for about a year before we had Ladybug and then I used it for a several months for her diapers.  We did this because we didn't have a washing machine, but I would never spend money on the ww/spin dryer combo if we had had one.  To be honest, for me the savings in water/detergent alone was not enough to keep using it and I actually found the rapid washer (the plunger type) much easier and quicker to use than the wonder wash.  I did enjoy washing by hand, but it was too much work to do daily with a little baby around.  We finally purchased a haier that hooks up to our bathroom sink (which cost only thirty dollars more than the ww/dryer combo when shipping was added up), we hang dry in our utilities room and I couldn't be happier.

However, I do love the spin dryer for spinning the last bit of moisture out of diapers and sheets/duvet covers (it's a bit rough on regular clothes) and making it so much quicker to line dry.  Unfortunately, the people who bought our wonder wash wanted the spin dryer with it so we sold it to help pay for the haier.  If we had the money I would have a spin dryer to use with a regular electric washing machine.

Edited to add: I don't know how long your washing machine runs on a single cycle, but with the haier it's only like 20 minutes, maybe 30 if I run a rinse cycle first.  It would take me about 20 minutes to do a load from start to finish in the wonder wash, so I don't see it as that much time saving.  And in the end it is much more hands on time than throwing it into the auto washing machine and forgetting about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page