What do you guys use on floors? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi guys, trying hard to be more natural with my cleaning.  I use Method and Babyganics products for the bathrooms and kitchen counters and all that but wondering about floors.  I use pine sol on the kitchen floor but worried about that now that my lo is crawling around...dont want him licking it lol.  I need something that disinfects though for days like today when I dropped a raw egg on the floor.  Also, what about carpets?  We have some Resolve powder but I'm also worried about using that where the lo crawls and plays all day.  The rug is looking very dingy these days though and has stains and we are renting so I really need it to look clean.  It is beige which doesnt help lol.  So what do you wise mommies use on kitchen floors and carpets that's safe for los but does the job? and to complicate things dont have a ton of money :(

#2 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 07:29 AM

I have laminate "wood" floors and mop (with a well-wrung mop) using only white distilled vinegar and water (1 c. white vinegar to 1 gallon water). When I have to disinfect the floor, I use a spray bottle; 1/3 water, 1/3 vinegar, rubbing alcohol, 3 drops of dishsoap. For carpets, I use 2 tbsp. vinegar to 1/4 c. baking soda. Rub it into the stain and let dry completely, then vaccum up (do a test patch in a closet first) 

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#3 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 AM

I use a mixture of water, vinegar and tea tree oil for mopping.  I just put my mixture in a spray bottle and spray only what I need as I mop rather than having a big bucket of water.  I use a microfiber mop with a pad though rather than a traditional mop with the long bits.  I also use a steam cleaner too.  I use both methods on my hardwood (real) floors as well since it uses only a small amount of water and dries too quickly before causing a problem.

#4 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys

#5 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 07:52 AM

I usually just use hot water with my mop.  Sometimes I'll use a little dish soap or some vinegar.  We have tile floor in the kitchen and hardwoods throughout the rest of the house.  To be honest, I hardly ever "disinfect" anything.  I wash things really well that have been used for meat or things like raw eggs to try to prevent cross contamination. If I dropped an egg on the floor... I'd probably just wipe up the mess with a dishtowel wet with hot water and dish soap.  Then throw the dishtowel in the wash with the rest of my other dishtowels which do get washed with a small amount of bleach. I'd say 90% of the cleaning in my house is done with just hot water, and maybe a little soap...lol

#6 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

LOL yeah I think I have been brainswashed by all those cleaning commercials..."disinfect the world" nonsense....your house isn't clean unless it smells like toxic lemons lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesKace View Post

I usually just use hot water with my mop.  Sometimes I'll use a little dish soap or some vinegar.  We have tile floor in the kitchen and hardwoods throughout the rest of the house.  To be honest, I hardly ever "disinfect" anything.  I wash things really well that have been used for meat or things like raw eggs to try to prevent cross contamination. If I dropped an egg on the floor... I'd probably just wipe up the mess with a dishtowel wet with hot water and dish soap.  Then throw the dishtowel in the wash with the rest of my other dishtowels which do get washed with a small amount of bleach. I'd say 90% of the cleaning in my house is done with just hot water, and maybe a little soap...lol

#7 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 AM

And speaking of scent...I use peppermint Dr. Bronners on the kitchen floor (and lavender in the bathroom).
#8 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Chamomile Girl! 

#9 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 AM

We have tile floors so I use laundry detergent diluted in water b/c it is a great degreaser.  Otherwise I just use vinegar and water.  

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#10 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks NikonMama!  What brand of detergent?  Found out Method has a cleaner for the floor..wondering if it's any good?  Like their other stuff.

#11 of 18 Old 04-15-2011, 03:11 AM

I have hardwood throughout except for kitchen and baths where we have ceramic tile.  I use Murphy's Oil Soap.

#12 of 18 Old 04-15-2011, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

I have hardwood throughout except for kitchen and baths where we have ceramic tile.  I use Murphy's Oil Soap.

We have cork in the living room/playroom and I use Murphy's Oil Soap on it as well. The rest of the downstairs is tile and I have used Mrs Meyers on it for years. I dilute some in a spray bottle and use that for my regular cleaning spray as well. I adore that stuff. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#13 of 18 Old 04-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

We use Kiss My Face Peace Soap(grassy mint) and a little splash of vinegar and hot water on our hardwoods and it cleans them beautifully and the house smells wonderful.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#14 of 18 Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 PM

I use my steam mop. I made sure to read reviews and got one that heats up to a higher temp (supposedly anyhow). It made by Eureka. The first few times you use it, it isn't as great, but after you break it in, it's awesome. I will also use vinegar and water (the 50/50 spray I use on my counters from time to time). When there are really germy things, I will break out 10% bleach (not the best option) in small areas (like egg spill).

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#15 of 18 Old 04-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

And speaking of scent...I use peppermint Dr. Bronners on the kitchen floor (and lavender in the bathroom).

i'm a big fan of dr b, use it everywhere BUT in our old house it did a number on the wood floor.  it made a film and it made stickyness.  if you have wood, i'd do vinegar... but if you have tile or lino, dr b is just fine (but that's just been my experience and i tend to be heavy handed when mixing the stuff, maybe i should follow the directions and DILUTE! DILUTE! OK! a little more...)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#16 of 18 Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 PM

Dr Bronners has a dillutable cleaning product that is amazing, Sals Suds. It leaves no residue on our wood floors (and they are super shiney so you would see it) or on our granite counters...amazing stuff really!

#17 of 18 Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 AM

I also use a steam mop.  Mine is a steam fast brand.  I've had it for years. I love that it is chemical free.

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
#18 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Well I was in Target and saw the Method so thought I'd give it a whirl...it did great!! Didn't even have to scrub...just used an ecotowel and the mess came right up including an old coffee stain.  Made the house smell yummy and lemony too...good to know it wasn't toxic lemons lol.  Thanks for all the suggestions guys!  I'm always open to new ideas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page