Am I imagining this type of shelf? A couple other questions (kitchen, blinds). - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I swear that I once saw a shelf that fits inside a narrow window, tension-rod style. We have a long, narrow window in our kitchen and easily filled the sill with two plants. I want to put a tray of light weight seedlings in on such a shelf, if it exists outside of my imagination.

Also in this same window, we have metal blinds...in general, are these easy to take down? We're in an apartment so we're very limited on what we can alter but I'd love to get these blinds down and put up those transparent patterned sheets on the glass for light to get through and also to have privacy (we're on the ground floor).

Is there anything I can do with our broom and mop? We don't have a kitchen closet and the fridge is squished so close to the wall that they can't be slipped there. I don't know if I'm stuck keeping them there or if I'm not being creative enough in finding a stash spot. I hate how they're in the way. I'm also thinking about trading in our trash can for a smaller one that will fit under the sink.

Here's the area of the kitchen in question...well, that's the whole kitchen actually. It is pretty small. I took this photo the day we moved in which is why it is so bare.

http://pariahblogs.com/images/kitchen2.jpg

I think there's a tiny house thread around here that I need to find again...our place isn't tiny (800 sq feet) but it isn't big either! Trying to make the most of it and have an aesthetically pleasing look...

Thanks!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#2 of 5 Old 04-28-2011, 06:09 AM

I have seen narrow shelving for bathrooms. I always pull my can out from under the sink. If I had your place I would look for or make a counter top out of butcher block.Then under it would be an open space for a can,and on either side drawers for stuff. Shoot a desk like that might work if you didn't want to make one.

For the windows I would just leave the blinds on,but addd that sticky window covering. I have the white frosted on some bedroom windows,but for the kitchen I want(and good for you) would be the mirrored covering.Shows a reflection on the outside,but allows light in and shades. It might not screen as well as I hope,which is no biggie for me but you need to block those looking in.

For the mop/broom all I can think of is a hook system somewhere. I have mine on a door and some inside a dinky closet.

#3 of 5 Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 PM

OMG! - I think I found the shelf you were looking for (I'll admit, while a really cool idea I didn't think one would actually exist).  I searched 'removable window shelf' in case you wanted see if there are more than just this one out there.

Not a lot of other ideas at the moment for your space, but wanted to share this.  

#4 of 5 Old 05-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Trash can:  An under the sink can would be awesome, but they do tend to be pretty small, so would you then have a bag of garbage sitting around because you had to empty under the sink so soon?  Or do you have a central garbage area there you can take it anytime?

Blinds:  They are easy to take down, BUT, be careful not to pull too hard or you could break the casing of them!  And they can get tangled up when you store them.  I would probably keep them in and put up the window film and/or sheers

Mop and broom - this is tough!  I would get rid of the mop, personally.  We have a pretty big house but I do all of my floor washing on hand and knee - which sounds terrible but really is fast, easy and really lets you see the spots to get.  The broom would be less dirty and could store in more places - even a coat closet?  

ETA:  I just looked at the photo again and realized that was the window you meant (duh).  If that's the only one, I would take the blind down!!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#5 of 5 Old 06-13-2011, 05:49 AM

I was just looking through the Lee Valley catalog and I think I found the shelf. It's on page 200 of their hardware catalog which you can access from their website. The brackets are meant to hold a curtain rod and can also hold a shelf up to 6" deep. The shelf is not included and you wouldn't have to put the curtain rod. Very cool! I might have to get a couple.

Did you get the blind down? I would take it down. We have those patterned sheets on a window beside our front door. I really like them.

Sorry - I know this post is old. I just happened to see the shelf and then remembered someone was asking about it.

We got a bracket with 4 or 5 of those...things (I don't know what to call them!) that you can pop a mop/broom handle into. You attach the bracket to the wall and then the mops and brooms hang down from the squeezy thing that holds the handle at the top. Do you have a coat closet nearby? Our's is right outside our kitchen and we have that bracket hanging inside it on one of the end walls. Works very well for us. The brush part of the broom is hanging down near the floor.

I also used to have a big garbage can and now have a small one that hangs on the inside of the cupboard door under the sink. I LOVE it! For compost we just keep a bowl on the counter which doesn't look that great but is very handy and it gets emptied often. But that might not work in an apartment.

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page