Clay slow cooker? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-29-2011, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone here use a clay slow cooker? I'm concerned about lead in slow cookers, and I've seen the Vitaclay option, which seems to be also a rice cooker. I really need an actual SLOW COOKER, not a rice cooker. I'm looking at this one from Sunpentown , a company I have never heard of. I can't find any reviews.

I'm hesitant to buy this though, because I am sick of buying "weird" appliances that don't end up working so well. (I made a huge deal to DH about getting rid of our cheap plastic steamer, which worked GREAT, and replace it with a non-plastic, stainless steel Oyama rice cooker, which requires me to continually keep adding water, or else if I add a ton of water up front it spits all over the place and makes a huge mess. NOT a big success for such a pricey item!)

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Does it have to be an electric applicance or are you willing to slow cook on the stove top? What size pot do you need? I haven't used the Vitaclay but I have looked at it. I won't be buying it because I have no issues with the electric slow cookers and rice cooker I already have. But I do slow cook on the stove top in a clay tagine. I use the Emile Henry, they also have regular dutch oven shaped pots also.  I love their clay pots, and they allow for much more temp control than electric slow cookers. Although I don't feel as safe leaving it cooking on the stove when I'm not home like I do my crock pots and obviously you lose the electronic programming of those also.

#3 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

I've never even heard of slow cooking on the stove top! I mean, except for leaving soup or a sauce on low to simmer. Does it work much like a crock pot? Maybe I am just so wired to think about the electric slow cooker. I've heard of tagines but don't know how they work. I think I would feel nervous leaving the house with the stove on.

#4 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 01:50 PM

OP: I'm curious about this slow cooker, also!  I wish I could find out more info about it b/c I'm looking for a lead-free option. 

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#5 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM

I just received an email back (after asking if it contains ANY lead or cadmium) and they said it contains none because it's 100% zisha (purple) clay.

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#6 of 9 Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 AM

Bumping this thread...

Did you ever buy this?  I'm looking at getting it too.  I need a lead free slow cooker for when my family is out of the house for the day.  If you bought it, how do you like it?  What about the size?  Thanks!

#7 of 9 Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM

I have one for sale.  It worked great the five or so times I used it, rice was nice, meal was the same as a crockpot. But we are a family of seven, and the biggest model doesn't come close to being big enough. If we were half the size, I'd be very happy with it.

#8 of 9 Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post

I have one for sale.  It worked great the five or so times I used it, rice was nice, meal was the same as a crockpot. But we are a family of seven, and the biggest model doesn't come close to being big enough. If we were half the size, I'd be very happy with it.

Which model do you have?  Do you have a link? 

#9 of 9 Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't end up buying it. I couldn't find enough reviews to make me feel like it was a safe purchase. I ended up going with the Delonghi slow cooker. I emailed about the lead and glaze and they told me it's lead free. smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page