Laundry question ... gross, but confusing :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wear white cotton/poly shirts to work as part of my uniform.  They eventually get yellow stains under the arm and I either replace them or use Soft Scrub to get them out.  Well, lately the yellow stains have tiny brown speckles in them, almost like dirt, and I just pulled one out of the wash and the brown spots have multiplied.  Super gross.

What could this be?  A reaction between my deodorant and the detergent?  I recently switched to homemade laundry soap (after the spots started), and I am using the same deodorant that I've been using for years. 

And more importantly, what do I do to get rid of it?  I'm going to get new deodorant tonight and see if that helps.

DD 2/08
#2 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are the spots anywhere else or on other clothing? This happened to my mom but it was on a lot of different clothes. I think it was from rust in their dryer. They eventually had to replace the dryer. 

joy.giflurk.gif

#3 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

No, only on the shirts and only on the underarms.  :(

DD 2/08
#4 of 8 Old 04-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

1) since nixing anti-persperant those yellow stains have disappeared for me....are you using anti-persperant vs. deodorant?

2) I found homemade laundry soap just didn't get things clean with our hard water....do you have hard water?

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#5 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

We do have hard water.  I was discussing the homemade laundry soap with my stepmom this weekend - my dad heard me talking about our socks not getting clean and said "They put phosphates in there for a reason."   I'm not completely happy with it but I think I may use a different bar of soap in the next batch.

The stains have got to be just my sweat.  I just got another load out of the dryer and found the same kind of stains in different places.  This past week was quite a bit warmer and I was sweating a little more.  The stains were right where I was sweating.  I think I might need to discuss this with a doctor!  blush.gif

DD 2/08
#6 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

If you're not opposed to it oxyclean works great on yellow sweat stains. Dh's sweat leaves stains like that and he doesn't even wear deo.

#7 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another vote for oxyclean.

I can get spaghetti out of my kids whites and grass and mud out of my son's baseball uniform.   I actually also have gotten blood out of DH's pants with it. 

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#8 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

The oxy is one variable I didn't catch!  I used to use it all the time, but ran out a month or two ago and haven't bought more.  Thanks!

DD 2/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page