Do you know if your dishes are lead-free? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-03-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought mine in Chinatown in NYC a few years ago (and they were expensive greensad.gif ) because I loved the pattern. They're made in Japan, and had a Japanese sticker on them (i.e. not a brand name I could look up.) Lately I've been on a "lead kick" after reading a few posts. How can I *know* my plates are lead-free? The home test kits seem to be unreliable, right?

In a perfect world I'd love to invest in a good set of plates that I *know* are lead free, but I'm not sure my DH would go for me replacing everything just because *maybe* it has lead. eyesroll.gifredface.gif It would be a heck of a lot easier if people weren't allowed to make products with toxins in them!!!! I always think I am doing the better thing by serving my DD on my regular plates even if I worry about them breaking, versus plastic or something, but if there is lead, then....sigh.

Help?

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 11 Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Do they have a makers mark on them? Can you try googling a description of the design?

In CA, dishes that contain lead must be clearly labeled on the shelf. So when we were shopping for new dishes, that was something to look for. If you can find the mfg info on your dishes and find a distributor, you can always ask them whether the dishes must carry warning labels in CA.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 11 Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 PM

Yes. But all our dishes are a well known brand that is known for it's quality. Honestly, they weren't that expensive. We bought seconds on sale. 

#4 of 11 Old 05-03-2011, 05:19 PM

I only have Fiestaware, so yes, I know they are lead free.

#5 of 11 Old 05-03-2011, 05:50 PM

I was at the dollar store and was about to buy a bowl when I noticed a very worn sticker on the flat of the shelf, very small. I moved some stuff out of the way and it said prohibited from being sold in california do to cancer causing material!!!  I bought glass bowls instead but still wonder what they could hae mixed in there :( Had no idea people on any level would think it's ok to sell cancer causing dishes :(

#6 of 11 Old 05-04-2011, 05:32 AM

yeah, this is why I went to clear glass dishes until I can afford more Fiestaware.  I am slowly building up my collection of Fiesta, which is lead free.  So right now I have a mix of glass and Fiesta, quite pretty actually .

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#7 of 11 Old 05-07-2011, 06:36 AM

There are lead tests you could buy  and swab the dishes.Not sure how accurate the tests are though!

#8 of 11 Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post

I was at the dollar store and was about to buy a bowl when I noticed a very worn sticker on the flat of the shelf, very small. I moved some stuff out of the way and it said prohibited from being sold in california do to cancer causing material!!!  I bought glass bowls instead but still wonder what they could hae mixed in there :( Had no idea people on any level would think it's ok to sell cancer causing dishes :(

I am always tempted to pick up a couple coffee mugs at the dollar store cause we keep loosing ours, then I realize hey! this is only a dollar! God knows what's in them.

I bought our dishes at Goodwill a long time ago and am afraid to buy anything else honestly, cause I don't know what's safe. Will have to check out fiestaware

#9 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 07:25 PM

I don't know if my dishes are lead free and I don't worry about it.

#10 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreader View Post

thumb.gif

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#11 of 11 Old 05-13-2011, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreader View Post

I saw this and my first thought was, why WOULDN'T you care about that?? Then I realized she's right. Whatever lead is in your dishes will not leach into your food at anywhere near detectable levels unless you store food on them. So if you're worried about lead, the thing to worry about is your cooking and storage stuff, not what you eat off. That said, don't take a plate from the dinner table, toss a piece of plastic wrap over it, and put it in the fridge for leftovers. Anything that's in contact with the food/drinks for less than an hour or two won't hurt anything.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page