Old chair needs new cushions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have an old chair that dh's grandfather made and the foam on the cushions is disintegrating. I finally pulled them off and tossed them. We want to make some cushions but are unsure of the "filling" to use. Anyone have any recs that would be eco friendly and not too expensive? Not sure if this is the right forum.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 05:14 PM

We sell natural latex in custom sizes, but it is pretty pricey......I made some 1 1/2" thick cushions for my rocking chair though and that wasn't too pricey and is super comfy....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

Old 05-20-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by talia rose View Post

We sell natural latex in custom sizes, but it is pretty pricey......I made some 1 1/2" thick cushions for my rocking chair though and that wasn't too pricey and is super comfy....

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds pricey, but also very nice. I wish I could splurge on that.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 PM

I bought latex foam from a local fabric shop, cut to size, and redid our chairs. Seeing as how I only do this about every 15 years, I wasn't too worried about the environmental impact. If I had the $$, I would do quilted cotton fillers, but since price was an issue we used the foam.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 PM

How thick does the foam need to be?  For just a few inches, an Ikea foam crib mattress might work.  You can cut it to size and then cover.  Much cheaper than buying upholstery foam at a fabric/craft store.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post

I bought latex foam from a local fabric shop, cut to size, and redid our chairs. Seeing as how I only do this about every 15 years, I wasn't too worried about the environmental impact. If I had the $$, I would do quilted cotton fillers, but since price was an issue we used the foam.

Latex foam is green?

I think we have a Joannes store nearby. They would have something like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post

How thick does the foam need to be?  For just a few inches, an Ikea foam crib mattress might work.  You can cut it to size and then cover.  Much cheaper than buying upholstery foam at a fabric/craft store.

The old cushions were 21x22x4. On the seat there are thick springs, so I think it would be good to not have something real thin.

I will check out the Ikea crib mattress. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:41 PM

You can just google upholstery foam and find a number of suppliers.  If the design does incorporate springs, you will want layers in addition to only the foam to help ensure it lasts longer.  If the foam is directly on the springs it will disintegrate quickly.  If there is a layer of burlap and a layer of dacron wrap, or even cotton batting, it will help to protect the integrity of the foam longer. 

Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngirl View Post

Latex foam is green?

I think we have a Joannes store nearby. They would have something like that?

The old cushions were 21x22x4. On the seat there are thick springs, so I think it would be good to not have something real thin.

I will check out the Ikea crib mattress. Thanks.

Latex is sort of "green" in that it is not a petroleum product, and will biodegrade over time. It still has issues with off gassing and some people develop an allergy to it over time, so I think it is not 100% ideal, but better than some alternatives. Latex foam is usually tan, but can be dyed any color.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!

User Tag List