Pans for Freezer Meals: Alternatives to Aluminum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am making about 15 freezer meals for after the birth of my baby.  While I'd love to make these in glass pyrex, I fear for the people who'd have to clean all these up.  At the same time of course, I am not happy with the idea of eating food cooked in aluminum, for a month.  Any ideas for pans that can be tossed but are made of something more healthy than aluminum? 

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 AM

I was going to suggest the Pyrex with the rubber lids.  Are you saying you don't want people to have the burden of washing more dishes?  If so, I wouldn't worry about that.  You can soak a really dirty pyrex and then put it in the dishwasher or wash it up with not too much trouble.  What if you lined the aluminum with something: parchment paper or wax paper???

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#3 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Let them clean up! The people who are there to help are THERE TO HELP. Don't compromise your standards if you feel strongly about aluminum or disposables. (I don't have any non-aluminum recs for you, sorry... Maybe try at Whole Foods or a market that sells lots of earth-friendly/organic products. If there's something else out there, those are the stores that will have it.) And like YF said, so you run some water in the pyrex, let it sit, and then put it in the dishwasher. Anyone who's there to help shouldn't balk at that. It's not like you're asking to use your fine china and then demanding it be washed and dried by hand.

#4 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 09:06 PM

I would go for the glass. Of course, you might not have that many glass dishes. So you might need to make the meal, pop it out of the pan once frozen, then wrap and freeze. To serve, you unwrap, place back in the pan, and heat.

Otherwise, would suggest making meals that don't actually cook in the pan, like marinated meat to put on the grill, chili/soup in single servings to microwave and serve, or thaw and eat foods like quiche, hummus, or pesto cubes for pasta.

I also support the idea of prepping in a way that makes it easy to serve the food. Don't stress too much about cleanup. Let the people who want to help you worry about the dishes. Heck, if money isn't the issue glass dishes can be recycled the same as aluminum. Or so can steel pans. Good luck with the baby and all your preparations.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#5 of 5 Old 05-25-2011, 02:03 PM

This is what I would suggest!  Line you dish with parchment or foil, freeze the food in it then remove and wrap the meal.  Then you can cook it in the same pan later on!

I've done this with all sorts of things - enchiladas, baked pasta, chicken pot pie etc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post

I would go for the glass. Of course, you might not have that many glass dishes. So you might need to make the meal, pop it out of the pan once frozen, then wrap and freeze. To serve, you unwrap, place back in the pan, and heat.

sosurreal09 likes this.

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page