Homemade laundry soap...how to get bright whites - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have been making my own liquid laundry soap for awhile now. I use the recipe found on the Duggars website. Water, washing soda, borax and fels naptha. I have been very happy with how long it lasts and how well it cleans. I use vinegar in place of fabric softener also, just thought I should mention. My problem is that my whites seem dingy and greyish. I have used Mrs. Stewart's liquid bluing, which seems cost effective but does not often give me the bright whites I am looking for. Quite possibly I am not using the proper amount each time. I also wonder about the saftey of this product. I have also tried hyrogen peroxide which does not seem to be cost effective for how much I need to use to notice any results. I do love sunning my whites but this is not always an option.

How do you get your whites bright? I have not done much research on chlorine and non-chlorine bleach. I have avoided bleach and on rare occasion used non-chlorine bleach. If you have any info on the safety of these please share. I am looking for a cost effective and safe/natural way to have consistantly bright whites. Any suggestions????

Also, anyone who uses homemade laundry soap, do you notice fading of colored items or dingy whites? Just curious of long term effects on fabric.

partners.gif Wife to mysuperhero.gif             
hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-18-2011, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use a similar recipe for homemade laundry detergent (although I add calgon, we have terrible hard water). I've noticed no difference in the dingy-ness/fading of our clothes since I switch to homemade. BUT again, super hard water has done a number on our clothing. I do use bleach occasionally in our white loads, but mostly it's kitchen towels.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#3 of 4 Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 AM

i use a powder version with the same ingredients (but i use dr bronners instead of fels naptha) and don't have problems.....try a pre-wash with borax? works well for my diapers. are you sure the soap is rinsing thoroughly? buildup can cause dingyness. do you line dry? sunlight is a natural bleacher.

betsy:  wife to tony, mama to haven (7/6/10), arlo (m/c 1/21/12), and expecting valencia in late december.

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - arthur o'shaunessy

"if there is no dancing then it is not my revolution" - emma goldman

#4 of 4 Old 06-03-2011, 05:16 PM

I made 6 recipes from tipnut dot com (first three liquids and all three powders) in test sizes. I found the powders did a better job on whites than the liquids did. The first powder was my favorite. I suspect all the recipes perform differently based on your water and other factors, so try a few.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page