Help me make laundry soap- dry vs liquid, which one is better - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 05-29-2011, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to do it. Make laundry soap. I have a recipe that is with dr bronners bar soap and the usual other ingredients. It is for a powder soap. Any problems with this and why I should go with liquid. Plus can we just talk about the basic recipes and the best thing you have tried or the stuff that doesn't work.
#2 of 30 Old 05-29-2011, 02:48 PM

I make a quick dry soap out of fels naptha (bar so you could do bonners) 2 cups, 1 cup washing soda, one cup borax. Grate the bar soap or dry it and throw it in the food processor. 2tbsp per load works great!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! When using the dry soap, do you have to dissolve it with hot water first or does it mix in with the laundry?
#4 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 AM

I have always wondered if the food processor everyone always talks about is a dedicated one for non food, or if it is ok to just use the food one and then run it thru the dishwasher..

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#5 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 05:50 AM

I just put the powder in the wash...no issues here.

I do just throw the food processor in the dishwasher and use it for food! I mean it is just soap I am grating up.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

So excited... I have all the ingredients. I am going to make this today.

One dry recipe was identical to yours, soreal, but it also has 1 cup baking soda. I wonder why?
#7 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 05:57 AM

Baking soda and washing soda are pretty much the same thing. You could definately interchange them.

BTW when I am doing whites I usually throw in an extra tbsp of borax just to make them whiter.

#8 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Is borax like bleach, will stain the clothes if colors?
#9 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 06:18 AM

NO NO! It's a completely safe! That's an ingredient in the detergent. Its sodium something all natural!

#10 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

No cool! I will post back how it goes...
#11 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 AM

I started using homemade laundry soap about a month ago and LOVE it.  I do use one bar of dr. bronners (currently it's citrus, but will try lavender next), 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup borax, and 1 cup baking soda.  I often threw baking soda in with laundry like towels or my husband's smelly basketball jerseys.  I love having it in the laundry soap mixture so I don't have to mess with it. 

Occasionally I'll put some vinegar in for the rinse cycle (my machine has a separate compartment for this but some people use a downy ball).  Our water is a little on the hard side so the soap can leave a residue.  The vinegar helps eliminate that and also functions as a fabric softener, it also keeps your black blacker. 

Good luck!

Married to DH since 2006.  Adoptive mom to DD1 (June 2002), DS (Jan 2006), and bio mom to DD2 (May 2009).

#12 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

MrsH, so you are saying you use 1 bar less of soap for your recipe. That would be great if that worked because when I did the math and my homemade soap is more expensive to make than store bought natural stuff. I was mainly doing this to save money. How much powder per load do you use?
#13 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 07:36 AM

I've made homemade dry laundry soap for about 2.5 years. I liked it.

Just a few weeks ago I made my first batch of liquid. Here are my pros and cons of liquid soap vs dry:

CONS

==

Takes more space. I have a 5 gallon bucket plus a 2 gallon bucket for a 6 month supply. For dry soap. I used to just use the 2 gallon bucket for a 6 month supply (and it wasn't totally full).

PROS

==

Better use of the soap. With my dry soap, I couldn't easily grate it extremely fine, so not all the soap was actually being incorporated into the wash. With liquid, it's premelted so it's all being used for cleaning action. I believe I've noticed the wash being cleaner now (though I don't have complaints about the dry soap - was good enough for me to use for years).

Cheaper. Since you get better use of the soap, you use way less of it (and the salts) per load. The amount of liquid you put in is actually more than the dry (1/2 cup vs heaping tablespoon for me) but the liquid is diluted so the amount of soap and salts in the 1/2 cup of liquid is less than a heaping tablespoon.

I have to say that the difference in preparation time is fairly marginal - more time making the liquid, but not by enough for me to care about.

So the bottom line of my review is that either dry or liquid is worthwhile to do. So if for some reason liquid is just really intimidating (though it shouldn't be - it's easy peasy) or you have major space constraints or don't want to get a bucket, do try the dry stuff, it's good. But if you are willing to store more, or make batches more often (every 2 months instead of every 6, for example), the liquid stuff is better, imho.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#14 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Loahaire, would you mind sharing your recipes please?
#15 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 AM

Sure.

DRY LAUNDRY SOAP RECIPE

==

1+3/4 cup borax

1+3/4 cup washing soda

1 bar Ivory Pure or Fels Naptha soap

1) Grate the soap. You could use a grater, or just use a knife and keep cutting it as small as possible, or run pieces of it through a food processor. I used a food processor for it for a while but it kind of died after a while (I don't think it was the soap; it was just a cheap one).

2) mix with the borax and washing soda.

3) You're done :)

4) Use 1 tablespoon (I heaped it) per load. It's always nice to add vinegar to the rinse cycle too.

I usually make 3+ batches at a time.

LIQUID LAUNDRY SOAP RECIPE

==

1/2 cup borax

1/2 cup washing soda

1 bar Ivory Pure or Fels Naptha soap

1) Hmm... I'll have to come back and edit this post after I run and grab my instructions. I've forgotten how much water to use. Will be back.

Note: You may have to hunt around a little for washing soda. It IS different from baking soda - similar, but different enough that you'll want the washing soda (they are called baking and washing sodas for a reason). I tried WalMart and 2 grocery stores, and at a third grocery store I finally found it. It's not expensive ($2.99 a box for Arm and Hammer for me). Borax is easier to find (about the same cost per box, but a bigger box).

#16 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post

MrsH, so you are saying you use 1 bar less of soap for your recipe. That would be great if that worked because when I did the math and my homemade soap is more expensive to make than store bought natural stuff. I was mainly doing this to save money. How much powder per load do you use?

??? A whole batch of mine costs about $2

#17 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 AM

Also, I make my own vinegar. Since it has a laundry application, I'll add my instructions for that here too.

I have a crock (the kind you put flour or sugar or whatever in - made of ceramic). I put apple cores and peels and bruised apple pieces and anything apple related (I've used pears too) in the crock, with water filled over the apples. I also weight down the apple pieces so that they don't go above the surface of teh water (they can mold if they do). Because I'm a really high-tech girl, I use a rock for this purpose, a flat rock that seems to do the job.

I think people prefer to use non-chlorinated water, but I just use my tap water and it works.

I cover it with a lid but not entirely. I want to keep dust out and minimize evaporation but I want it exposed to a bit of air. So I'd prop it open a tiny bit or lean the lid to the side or something.

Here's the part that requires a little magic. The first time you make a batch, it might not do anything for a while. In fact, you might not even be in a good area to do it at all. Carla Emery (author of Encyclopedia of Country Living) said she never had any luck with making vinegar. You have to catch the right beasties from the air to make it happen. If you have fruit flies in your area, this is a good thing for your vinegar. Obviously you don't want fruit flies in your kitchen, so you might put your crock out on the porch or in a shady place in your back yard. (ETA: you don't NEED fruit flies to make it; they carry the bacteria that make vinegar on their feet. So they can HELP colonize your vinegar. But they are not required, and they are not directly part of the vinegar making process. The bacteria can get there some other way, they can just be in the air or maybe even the fruit you use is already precolonized, etc.)

Otherwise maybe you might buy a container of RAW apple cider vinegar, and pour some in your virgin mixture. The point is to get the stuff going. It's similar to compost; your first pile will be slow but after all the right beasties are in your compost area, they'll get right to work with any new stuff.

Since my vinegar is active (and I never wash my crock between batches, either), it takes a couple of weeks to vinegarize, for me. I strain it and pour it into a gallon jug with a funnel. I reuse the same apple pieces for more than one batch, often. I also feel free to start a batch with only one apple core; I just keep adding to it as I get apple pieces. That will take longer, of course, but it works.

I always shake my head in disbelief that I can make better vinegar than Carla Emery, but I also know it's nothing to do with skill. I just have the beasts here.

I would probably be reluctant to make my own vinegar in a southern climate, as I imagine it would just attract too many flies. Unless I had a good shady place somewhere outside. Here in MA (and even moreso in Northern Kingdom I'm sure) it works just fine, I don't have anything buzzing around my crock and I keep it right on my kitchen counter.

#18 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

??? A whole batch of mine costs about $2

Well those crazy bars or dr B's cost $4.50 per bar. Is fels nappa soap considered natural? That would sure cut the cost if I used that.

Thanks for the recipes loahaire!
#19 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 10:57 AM

Bluebirdmama - it does seem to work fine for us.  We use 1/8 of a cup per load (we have a 1/4 cup scoop in it and use half of that).

Married to DH since 2006.  Adoptive mom to DD1 (June 2002), DS (Jan 2006), and bio mom to DD2 (May 2009).

#20 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 PM

Subbing!

#21 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 PM

I am fairly certain fels naptha is all natural although I can't find the ingredients. It has been around for a very long time though....my G'ma used it

#22 of 30 Old 06-01-2011, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Well googled it. Here are the ingredients directly form the felnaptha webiste:
Quote:
Ingredients

Soap (sodium tallowate*, sodium cocoate* (or) sodium palmate kernelate*, and sodium palmate*), water, talc, cocnut acid*, palm acid*, tallow acid*, PEG-6 methyl ether, glycerin, sorbitol, sodium chloride, pentasodium pentetate and/or tetrasodium etidronate, titatium dioxide, fragrance, Acid Orange (CI 20170), Acid yellow 73 (ci43350)

*contains one or more of these ingredients

Too many big words for me. lol! It is cheap to buy though, one dollar per bar here.
#23 of 30 Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Loahaire, do you have the rest of that liquid recipe?

Are you all using fels naptha or is there something else as cheap and more natural. Or should I just close my eyes to the ingredients and use it?
#24 of 30 Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post

Loahaire, do you have the rest of that liquid recipe?

Are you all using fels naptha or is there something else as cheap and more natural. Or should I just close my eyes to the ingredients and use it?

I have'nt made mine yet, but I'm going to use the bronners bar, mild or lavendar.

I like the ingredients better.

Here's the liquid recipe I have, I got it from one of the other laundry soap threads.

I'm not sure who posted it originally;

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value
4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

*Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - in some stores or may be purchased online here (at Meijer.com). Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#25 of 30 Old 06-02-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Tried the dry powder last night. Not sure the soap even dissolved as the water looked just like water and so soap or anything in sight during the wash cycle. Some of the clothes looked clean but several kitchen towels smelled kind of dirty or sour still. Perhaps the dry soap didn't dissolve? I am thinking about changing it to liquid, but the 5 gallon bucket intimidates me and I don't like the idea of making that much. I just don't have that much space either. Has anyone made it super concentrated? I would love to just make a gallon worth (2 1/2 gallon canning jar sizes).
#26 of 30 Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 AM

I read someone said that having a 2 gallon bucket liquid laundry detergent for over 6 months was a CON ;)

I'd think THAT was a major plus, that it lasts soooo long.  I'm sure storing that much detergent is a pain.  

A person could cut the ingredients in half when making the liquid.  I did that for a while, but not because storing it was a major

pain.  I guess I am a nerd & wanted to make it more often...I find it satisfying & fun to make something that saves us

money.  Kind of the equivalent of making Mud Pies as a kid, but THIS is a good thing!

I've experimented with making a Paste/gel version that is just under a Gallon container, for my top load washer, and so far have been happy with that.  I only use 1 - 1 1/2 Tablespoons of the Paste version per load.  I use the same amount of ingredients for liquid 5 gallon liquid, 

EXCEPT cut the total water amount down to just under 1 gallon. 

#27 of 30 Old 06-02-2011, 02:22 PM

cut the recipe in 1/2 or 1/4. That's what I'm doing.

Also, you could just skip mixing with water at the end and use a smaller amount of the concentrate.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#28 of 30 Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Bluebirdmama - what I do when using the powder is that I turn my washer on so it starts filling, then get the powder out and add it, and wait until it is covered by water.  I think that helps it dissolve a bit, before adding the clothes.  While it's filling I might sort laundry or spot treat a shirt or something, it doesn't take long.  Good luck!

#29 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH View Post

Bluebirdmama - what I do when using the powder is that I turn my washer on so it starts filling, then get the powder out and add it, and wait until it is covered by water.  I think that helps it dissolve a bit, before adding the clothes.  While it's filling I might sort laundry or spot treat a shirt or something, it doesn't take long.  Good luck!

Are you seeing any difference in the the water- trace of soap, as the water looks clear to me like I need to use more soap. You use only 1/8 cup right?

Tkine- welcome to MDC. Would you share your recipe?

Goodness, why am I making this so complicated, lol!
#30 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 06:26 AM

Don't forget that natural soaps don't usually make bubbles and things. Are you using the Dr. Bonners still? That wouldn't cloud the water I don't think b/c it is glycerin soap right?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page