furniture slip covers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My couch and rocker are biting the dust and I am hoping to make them last till the kids are a little older. I am looking into slip covers but am nervous because it seems most people hate them. 

I am pretty well settled on a 2 piece design for the couch so the seat cushions are in there own little "case" and the cover goes over the couch and then you put the cushion back on. In my mind this will help it from coming untucked and such.

My question is anyone who has a slip cover what style (1 piece or 2 pc) do you have and do you really hate it? I am not willing to make the cover myself lol. 

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#2 of 4 Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 AM

I don't know why people hate slipcovers.  Maybe because the earliest ones were so sloppy?  The ones they make these days are much more tailored and "neat" looking. I think they're great, especially when you have kids. Even without eating in our living room they still manage to get all kinds of grubbiness on the couch, and it's so nice to be able to throw everything in the washer and have a nice clean space again.  I lucked out and found a gorgeous couch at the thrift store (actually it is slipcovered too, but fitted) but for years while we had a not so nice looking living room set we used slipcovers.  I think the two piece types are better.  They stay tidy looking for longer with less adjusting.  And, when the seat portion inevitably gets dirty you only need to take off that one piece and wash it rather than the whole thing.

I've only had cotton ones - either duck or twill - which stood up to weekly washings for a couple years.  I don't know how the synthetic ones hold up.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#3 of 4 Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

So I got a 2 piece couch cover like 2 weeks ago and I love it!! It looks great and stays in place! So glad I bit the bullet and ordered! Thanks for your input.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#4 of 4 Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i had a one piece and hated it.  it looked cute while the ties were still on but once they came off (the ripped out from kids plopping down and shifting the cover)  it looked like a sack over my couch.

It did not help that the general condition of my couch sucked.  you can't throw a cover over a sloppy couch and expect it to look much better.  It will cover stains but not sad lumpy cushions and sagging support.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page