laundry stains..... help!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2011, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I broke down and bought a huge jug of Tide today.  I have been using natural soaps (and still do with my cloth diapers)... but my DS's clothes are getting ruined even though I have spot treated (again, with a natural soap - seventh generation i think).  I know there must be other ways to remove stains and brighten whites without having harsh chemicals in our home, down our drains, and on our clothes.  please help so that I can return this huge jug before I open it.  

for the record: I have added lemon juice to whites.  I have added baking soda to every load to get rid of the stinkies. help!!!

Ema to my dear son (inseminated at home with frozen donor sperm) born on 6/25/10. h20homebirth.gifnocirc.gif selectivevax.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif cd.gifWife to my dear partner.  rainbow1284.gif goorganic.jpg  hang.gif  sewmachine.gif   blogging.jpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 AM

With the water we have here, I haven't found a good natural approach.  The only detergent that actually gets things clean and bright is Tide (this coming from a woman who SWORE that buying anything non-generic was foolish...)  I also have to use bleach to get my whites truly white.  Otherwise I have a lovely rusty grey/beige/brown thing going on with them. :(

Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 AM

I used to use Tide religiously until I found Biokleen's Premium detergent:

http://www.amazon.com/Biokleen-Premium-Laundry-Powder-5-Lb/dp/B0009ET4Z4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308158993&sr=8-1

It also works as a stain treatment if you mix some in a spray bottle with water, but I honestly prefer Fells Naptha bar soap for spot treating. My grandmother still uses it to this day and it works awesome. For fabric softener I just use white vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Hope this helps!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32*stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif*36***40

User Tag List