Complete Bathroom Overhaul for $60 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Three weeks ago we had to evacuate our house due to flooding in our town and in less than 7 hours we moved everything from our 3200 square foot house out and into storage.  Because of the continued risk of flooding, we have not moved our belongings back in, but we are staying at our house with very limited items.  I have needed to occupy my time during all of this to keep my sanity so decided to redo my bathroom.  Because money is VERY tight right now (our basement is a total loss from ground seepage), I needed to do the remodel on the cheap! 

Here are the before and after pics and a price breakdown of the half bath remodel:

-Wall Paint (FREE, thanks to Ryan's parents)
-Floor Paint (FREE, leftovers from Luke's room)
-Polyurethane for floor (FREE, leftovers thanks to previous owners)
-Misc. Items from Hobby Lobby for floor ($10)
-Vanity Paint and Primer ($15)
-Brushes/Rollers ($10)
-Towels and Soap Dispenser ($25)
-Wall Decor (FREE, already had)

TOTAL COST FOR REMODEL---$60

Before:

bathroom1.jpg

bathroom2.jpg

bathroom3.jpg

bathroom4.jpg

After:

bathroom5.jpg

bathroom6.jpg

bathroom7.jpg

bathroom8.jpg

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#2 of 6 Old 06-18-2011, 07:48 AM

Wow, great job!

#3 of 6 Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  It was a great way to take my mind off river levels.  Now hopefully we are out of the woods and the river stays in its banks so we can move back into our house soon.

#4 of 6 Old 06-24-2011, 01:55 AM
Banned

may I ask what your floors were before you painted them? 

were they wood and did you do a paint/stencil job? they look great, btw, which is why i'm asking.

our vinyl in the back of the house (mudroom and bathroom) are in a sad, sad state. so sad. stained, really lumpy underneath, etc. I suspect it's either on really old (sunken) concrete or literally straight on the rock. I'm thinking of drawing it up and then seeing if I can concrete and polish the concrete back there (i like the look), but may need to soften it with paint. not sure though. Either way, it's always cold in old NZ bathrooms. :D

Looks awesome, btw! great job!

#5 of 6 Old 07-03-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

The floor was an old piece of vinyl flooring.  It was a lot of work (priming, painting 2 coats, stenciling, and 3 coats of polyurethane).  Sadly, 3 days after I got the bathroom totally done, we were evacuated again and this time, the house flooded.  We are still not sure how bad it is, but from my understanding, the flood waters completely covered our house.  We won't be able to go back to our neighborhood until all the water is gone, which could be a few weeks.  I am so bummed.  We lost our $200,000 house and more than likely, it will be condemned because it was completely inundated.  Not sure where we will go from here.

#6 of 6 Old 07-03-2011, 07:10 PM

Your bathroom looked great and I am so sorry to hear about your house! We lost our house in the floods of '93. I was 11yo at the time, but my dad had built that house on his own. It is a hard thing to go through. I hope you had flood insurance. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page