Chemical-free way to clean glass-top stove? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

One of my few lingering chemical cleaners is the stuff I use to clean my glass-top stove (one more reason I hate that thing).  I have enough trouble getting it clean with the chemicaly stuff, and all-purpose white vinegar spray isn't going to cut it.  

I don't want to scratch it and make it harder to clean in the long run.  Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-23-2011, 06:02 PM

I use a razor blade to scrape off the big stuff and then use diluted Dr. Bronner's, specifically the citrus kind. The citric acid helps cut through the grease. I fill an empty spray bottle with water, then add a couple squirts of Dr. Bronner's and shake. I'd say maybe 1-2 T. to 4 cups of water? I'm not very good with measurements, so that's just a guess. I also use microfiber cloths to clean with. They do a better job of picking up dirt and don't leave streaks or lint behind.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#3 of 4 Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 PM

I have to say I still use that cleaner but very tiny amounts only - since we got our stove 4 years ago I have not yet used up that tiny sample bottle that came with it, it's probably more than half full!  Basically I use a hot soapy washcloth (usually after I finish the dishes) to clean it up, then dry it and if there are still spots after this (usually stuff that's boiled over gets very dried on) I will do spot cleaning with the stove cleaner.  Then I wash the cleaner off again with a wet cloth and dry with a microfibre towel - that makes it all nice and shiny.  Regular cloths don't dry it anywhere near as well IMO.

#4 of 4 Old 06-24-2011, 05:15 AM

I used homemade orange cleaner to clean mine. I soak orange peels in vinegar for 3 weeks and then mix it half and half with water. It works better than any all purpose cleaner I've tried.

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page