Help with finding healthy baby "gear" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-02-2011, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been trying to buy mattresses, etc. that lack flame retardant chemicals and other materials that off-gas, but I am struggling with "baby gear."  My MIL wants to buy us a playard, which is very sweet of her, but I can't find any organic or chem-free mattresses to fit in them (or any eco-friendly playards, for that matter).  Lots of organic sheets, but... what's the point of that if the mattress fumes get right through?  Does anyone have a good source for this sort of thing?  Advice?  Thanks so much.

Cristina, mama to Isabel.  knit.gif Oh how I miss knitting.  And sleeping.  I miss sleeping.

#2 of 9 Old 08-03-2011, 03:01 PM

No advice, but I wanted to sub to see what others say.

notes2.gif

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#3 of 9 Old 08-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I got our crib mattress from "Dax" sotres ( online) google Dax organic crib mattress and you can ifnd it! I love their products, all natural and organic baby bedding and mattresses etc. Not so much gear thuogh- but mattresses yes

#4 of 9 Old 08-14-2011, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the Dax Stores referral!  It shifted me to searching for an eco-friendly crib/mattress, which are at least out there. 

We're going to try for a used playard - don't know how I will explain that to my MIL, but oh well...

Cristina, mama to Isabel.  knit.gif Oh how I miss knitting.  And sleeping.  I miss sleeping.

#5 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 01:46 PM

I am a Mothering mama for 19 years now who sells non-toxic baby products and eco home as well. Use the code MOTHERING to get 10% off your orders.....we make latex mattresses to fit all co-sleepers and playards....

Izzybelly likes this.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#6 of 9 Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Naturepedic mattresses are safe and when I was shopping for baby gear in 09 they had playard mattresses too.  Good luck : )

sahm dishes.gif wife to dh, AP mama to most amazing boy eat.gif 07/2009!  and 11 chickens chicken3.gif   caffix.gif   goorganic.jpg    bf.jpg  NOTV

#7 of 9 Old 08-27-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!!!!

#8 of 9 Old 09-09-2011, 12:16 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Natures Purest has organic baby gear http://www.albeebaby.com/summer-infant-sleepy-safari-playard.html   I think they still use polyester fill, but it has no flame retardants and is made of organic cotton.  I would write to them to be sure though because they are not an all organic company, they just make certain products.  BTW, I never once used the play yard that I got.  And I always(and still) co-slept with my baby so I never worried about toxins in crib mattresses or play yards or bassinetts, just invest in a mattress for yourself, such as one from organicgrace.

#9 of 9 Old 09-11-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

Natures Purest has organic baby gear http://www.albeebaby.com/summer-infant-sleepy-safari-playard.html   I think they still use polyester fill, but it has no flame retardants and is made of organic cotton.  I would write to them to be sure though because they are not an all organic company, they just make certain products.  BTW, I never once used the play yard that I got.  And I always(and still) co-slept with my baby so I never worried about toxins in crib mattresses or play yards or bassinetts, just invest in a mattress for yourself, such as one from organicgrace.

That is the play yard I purchased.  I only used it a few times and our son slept with us most of the few times we brought it with us.  Just used it for a couple of naps.  Not necessary, we could have done without it, but it made me feel better to know I had a backup with me when traveling, just in case.  I bought organic quilted play yard mattress pads to go over the pathetic "pad" that the play yard came with.  I almost purchased the naturepedic mattress for play yards, but just couldn't justify the extra cost if we were only going to use it a few times.  Now that I think about it, we would have done just as well to have purchase the naturepedic play yard mattress and put it on the floor Montessori style for those times when we traveled and ds was napping and we weren't able to stay in the room with him so we couldn't just leave him on the big bed.  For home, a chemical free mattress for your own bed is a great investment.  I am looking at getting a Shifman mattress next, they are natural, made with sustainable materials, and hand tied, but not organic.

sahm dishes.gif wife to dh, AP mama to most amazing boy eat.gif 07/2009!  and 11 chickens chicken3.gif   caffix.gif   goorganic.jpg    bf.jpg  NOTV

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page