how do you clean your garbage disposal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

mine keeps getting a build-up of sink scum, and I'm not sure of the best way of cleaning it so it isn't constantly smelling

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#2 of 7 Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM

I don't take special care to clean my disposal, but about once a week I will cut a lemon in half and toss it in the disposal and flip it on for a few seconds. It freshens it up a lot! 

#3 of 7 Old 08-06-2011, 04:27 AM

Sometimes I put a few squirts of Dawn down in there with whatever I'm sending down. lettuce works well. I also will occasionally make ice cubes from vinegar and grind those up. I still never feel it's fully clean, but that helps. I also take a rag and dawn and srub the rubber underneath the opening, both sides.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 7 Old 08-06-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

the rubber opening is what seems to be the hardest

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#5 of 7 Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I use ice,  it acts as a sand blaster.  It will clean the underside of the disposal.  For the top I use a lemon and salt.  Or sometimes I just use salt to scrub with.

#6 of 7 Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 PM

We dump a bowl of ice and whatever citrus peels we have for the week down it once a week. It smells all fresh for a day or two, and hasn't gotten funky since we started that habit.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#7 of 7 Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 PM

Ice definitely works well. Grinding up a used lemon or lime will help with the smell.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page