Water damage and more!! ACK! Where to begin?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-08-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All,

I'm exhausted and could use some help in trying to figure out what order to tackle these various things:

In no particular order - because, if I HAD an order, I wouldn't be here asking for help!  dizzy.gif

First of all, I'm married, two kids ages 6 and 8.  Been away for the entire summer at my Mom's house, helping her - she's been ill.  While I was gone, we had a water pipe burst.  faint.gifDH took care of that and the repair work was done while we were gone.  But I've returned to our entire storage area empty and everything in it sitting out in the carport.  Lots of stuff that needs to be gone through.  We are planning a yard sale, maybe next weekend.

Second, I'm sick right now.  I think my body was on adrenaline overload this summer, helping Mom, taking care of my two kids full-time, cleaning out her 100 year old basement, etc.  I think I got home and my body just said, "Enough!"  And now I'm feeling under the weather, some sort of flu/cold, achy, etc.  So I don't have a lot of energy right now.  fever.gif

Third, there is still construction mess around here - dust, etc.  Need to get that cleaned up.  Could possibly hire help and have the insurance company pay for that.

Then, I work.  I've put off my clients until the end of the week, hoping I'll feel better by then to see them.

I managed to get to the grocery store yesterday - don't know how I did it, other than sheer willpower.  But I get get groceries and I got the kitchen cleaned up.  dishes.gif  Believe me, I did not look as cute and perky as this nice little avatar does when I was doing the dishes.  It was more like this:  greensad.gif

Kids stuff is everywhere.  Need to de-clutter and get ready for the yard sale.

A positive note - kids will help me.  They are good kids and will run the stairs and be useful.  jog.gif

Then I have volunteer stuff I do for a couple organizations.  I know, I know.  You are probably saying, forget about that!  And take care of yourself and your family first.  However, I do take my volunteering seriously and it needs to be done.  Need to figure out how to fit that in.

Anyway, any advice on getting this stuff organized into some sort of order?  I would so appreciate it.  My sinuses are so full right now and I cannot think clearly!  help.gif

#2 of 5 Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Wow!! That is a lot to have in front of you. Here is my suggestion:

First, make lists. Simple lists with everything you have to do on it as concisely as you can. 

Then rewrite the lists in catagories of necessity (essential for survival, really want to do, don't want to but should, don't need to-).

Then figure out which of the things the kids can do and set them on tasks. Make a list of all the things on your master list that the kids can do, and have them do them and check them off one by one.

Then figure out which of the things you can hire someone to do and figure out how to make that happen, so those things can get checked off.

Then see what you have left and do what you have to, and leave the optional ones for another less busy time.

#3 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Snapdragon - thanks so much for responding!  I did what you said, organized everything into what needs to be done now and later.  I have a little list to work on today.  Actually, it's a big list, but I'll see how much I can do.  Thanks!

#4 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I can't improve on snapdragon's advice, but I wanted to offer a hug.

Does the yard sale have to be so soon?

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#5 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post

I can't improve on snapdragon's advice, but I wanted to offer a hug.

Does the yard sale have to be so soon?

Aw, thanks!  blowkiss.gif

You are right, I could put off the yard sale.  But I've been wanting to do it for almost a year now, and I would love to have the extra $$$ from it.  It would alleviate some financial stress.  We have enough stuff to sell that I think we could clear $1000.  And that would help pay for something important.

I am feeling a little better today, too.  I talked to the insurance company and they said go ahead and hire a housecleaner to clean up the construction mess.  joy.gif

My girls are helping me clean up their kid stuff, and I'm starting to go through their closets to get out the clothes that don't fit anymore and get them ready for the sale. 

I paid a bunch of bills today.  Scary.  But it feels good to get that done. 

Did I mention that I have all this cool stuff I need to get on Ebay to sell?  wild.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page