Laundry and BO... help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been meaning to ask about this for a while, but usually would think about it when there wasn't a computer in sight.

We have a BO issue with some of our clothes.  Some of it is from DH and his love of cheap deodorant (coupons, coupons, coupons), but my main issue is with some of my work under shirts.  I like to wear a white short-sleeve shirt under my scrubs for work for modesty (I'm VERY well endowed... cleavage is unavoidable) and have a collection of different ones I've picked up over the past couple of years.  I find I don't have an issue with the natural fiber (modal/cotton) shirts I have, but I do with the synthetic fiber shirts that are designed to wick moisture away.  The armpits just STINK, even when fresh out of the washer.

We use Crunchy Clean and I add an oxygen booster when washing my work clothes for that extra bit of "oomph".  When we first moved, we had a miscommunication as to how much CC we had left, and we ran out right as she went on vacation.  I picked up some of the liquid Biokleen, which actually worked really well on the odor issue, but I didn't like how strongly scented it was.  

Any ideas on what I can try?  I was thinking of trying BacOut just on the offending armpits.

RN (34), a bit of a treehugger.gif, fur mama to 3 cat.gif and 1 horse,with a wonderful, artistic hubby (41), married since 2004.

Mama to D.G., born 9/19/12 at 32w4d, who happily fly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfambedsingle1.gifcd.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Could you dilute the biokleen a little so it doesn't smell as strongly? And use vinegar in the rinse cycle?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 AM

Borax works great on BO and as a laundry booster in general.  Just do a pre-soak with Borax and throw in an extra rinse and I think it will help.  Washing Soda (which is almost the same as baking soda and can be found in the laundry aisle) may also work, but I have had more luck with the Borax when it comes to odour.  

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM

We (ok, it's ME) have underarm stink---it seemed to get worse when I was pregnant--and deodorant build up.  How would I use the borax?  Make a paste, rub it in, then wash?  Soak overnight in (how much?) borax?  I have borax but I don't really know what to do with it.  Mostly I use it to scrub the toilet.  shy.gif

Old 08-15-2011, 07:08 PM

Well, I just started using it as a pre-wash.  I think the box says 1/3 cup added to the pre-wash or soak cycle with warm water.  I do think a paste would work well and I don't think it would hurt anything to soak over night.  I usually am a bit generous with the borax when I use it and then just add an extra rinse cycle to make sure it's all out by the end of the wash.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have cotton/polyester work shirts than used to get pretty smelly.  I've found that vinegar in the softener dispenser helps, as does soaking everything overnight with some baking soda or OxyClean.  Switching to a natural deodorant (I use Desert Essence TTO) really cut down on the weird musty smell AND the yellowing.  I still sweat the same amount, it just doesn't stink as badly.

DD 2/08
Old 08-22-2011, 07:26 PM

subbing

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

User Tag List