Beds and bedrooms for growing children - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-15-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

I need to buy new beds and mattresses for my children, and I want to get something that is comfortable and without toxic chemicals.  They are 7 and 11, and they currently have a bunk bed set that we just use separated, not stacked.  They both have a regular twin size mattress and box spring, but they are pretty old and really just not comfortable.  My oldest has a hard time falling asleep at night and says his bed is so uncomfortable.  And it really is!  If I lay down with him in his bed, it is not a comfortable bed.  I tried one of those egg crate toppers but it didn't help much.  If I sleep in either of their beds I wake up just stiff and sore.

We are moving things around though, and I want to take this opportunity to just get new beds and mattresses for them.  They currently share a room and have a nice size bedroom.  We have three bedrooms and all are the same size, and are a nice size.  I think all three of the bedrooms are about 16x16 feet.  It is a very old house, so it used to not have closets, but they added closets later on.

So, I think it is reasonable for them to comfortably share a room and I like the fact that they are growing up sharing a room as brothers, learning roommate skills, how to get along, etc.  But at the same time, I wonder if maybe my older son will need his own space soon as he gets into the teen years.

Then I also want to get them each a new bed, whether they share a room or not.  Any ideas for a growing boy?  Should I go ahead and get my oldest a nice double bed?  He is growing so fast.  I love the idea of loft beds where he could have a desk space underneath, but they seem so high.  The main thing my oldest wants is a desk of his own in his room to do his own thing, have his computer, etc.

Any ideas?  Thanks for sharing!

#2 of 5 Old 08-17-2011, 07:26 AM

If you feel a bunk is too high, how about something like this?

http://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/products/80123993  My son (10 YO) has this bed, and loves it. It`s high enough that the room underneath can be used as a readingarea/snugglingroom/whatever, but a lot lower than a regular bunk. 

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#3 of 5 Old 08-17-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I love that bed!  I am actually thinking we will get that bed for my 7 year old for sure.  He wants a bunk bed, but I like that it's a bit lower but could still be a hideout/fort/whatever underneath!

I have only looked at this online.  Do you think this bed will work for your 10 yr old as he grows?  I guess it looked a bit more like a little kid's bed to me.  My older son is already 5' 3" and growing rapidly, so I was thinking maybe I needed to get him something bigger.  He's actually almost 12, so I'm trying to think ahead to the upcoming teen years.  Maybe I shouldn't overthink it though, and just get something that workd for him now, and not worry about when he's 15.  But that is only three years away!

#4 of 5 Old 08-20-2011, 02:50 AM

Sorry, I didn`t see this. redface.gif

The bed is full size when it comes to lenght, so just as long as a regular "adult" bed. So my sons father can no problem sleep in it, if he wanted. (He is almost 6`.) 

But it looks like a childs bed, I agree with you on that. My son loves the bed, and I can`t see that change in the near future. But maybe your son will feel different? Sorry I am not of more help. lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post

I love that bed!  I am actually thinking we will get that bed for my 7 year old for sure.  He wants a bunk bed, but I like that it's a bit lower but could still be a hideout/fort/whatever underneath!

I have only looked at this online.  Do you think this bed will work for your 10 yr old as he grows?  I guess it looked a bit more like a little kid's bed to me.  My older son is already 5' 3" and growing rapidly, so I was thinking maybe I needed to get him something bigger.  He's actually almost 12, so I'm trying to think ahead to the upcoming teen years.  Maybe I shouldn't overthink it though, and just get something that workd for him now, and not worry about when he's 15.  But that is only three years away!

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#5 of 5 Old 09-09-2011, 12:19 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Get an organic mattress that contains at least some wool.  I would get them both full size beds so you wont have to buy any more beds for them:)   Just invest in one!  Look at organicgrace.com and use code MOTHERING to get 10% your order.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page