Need front load, stackable W/D suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-21-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for suggestions on a front loading & stackable Washer/Dryer.  Budget is a major concern BUT I do not want to be calling & paying for service in a year or so either.  DH mentioned purchasing an extended warranty based on the luck we have had the past year.  I am not 100% sure if we will do that or not yet.  We typically purchase from Sears but are considering other retailers based on various interest free financing options. 

Thx!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 AM

we have been happy with our appliance purchases from a local dealer. So I can't comment on Sears etc. For a good deal, ASK about "ding and dent" appliances. They are still new and come with a warranty, but are discounted because they got a blemish or were floor models. Most sets have a stacking kit. Ours was about $40. 

#3 of 16 Old 08-21-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yes-someone else mentioned the dented discount.  Great idea!! Love it! 

I tried to find a local appliance place where we are moving, but the closest in miles (we are moving somewhere very rural) is actually Lowe's & Home Depot, which are both still a hike.  I am just not sure about buying major appliances from those places?  I have known a few folks who have had issues.  My family always picks Sears because that's where my late Grandfather worked his whole life. 

Anyone have a couple years in on a pair & can give some feedback?

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#4 of 16 Old 08-22-2011, 09:46 AM

I have had my LG set for over a year now and LOVE THEM. The only thing I cannot do is soak but we are past the diaper phase so it's not a biggie. They are stackable but ours are not. We bought at Home Depot. We got 10% off and financed it for a year at 0%. They are steam too, which I like since my daughter has allergies.

#5 of 16 Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

DON'T get a Whirlpool. Please don't. Don't buy anything whirlpool!!!

#6 of 16 Old 08-22-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Ok-a vote for LG & a big no for Whirlpool.  Thx!  It's funny because Consumer Reports has Whirlpool in their 3 top picks (the Duet).  But I always wonder about how "independent"  they really are????

Hey Nazsmum, what was your experience with Whirlpool? 

Anyone have a Frigidaire?  I would not normally think of them but apparently they makes tons of W/D.  They have a few models that are in the $500/$600 range each. 

#7 of 16 Old 08-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We foolishly bought from Sears (a Kenmore set). I hated the process, the store, and the delivery guy who tried to tell me it was too hot for him to do the hookup for us. (The sales person at the store insisted that hookup was a "free" part of delivery.)

We have had the duo for 7 years. We have never had a problem, breakdown, mechanical issue of any kind. I can't believe it's been 7 years already! It's like new.

BUT.... I'm not the biggest fan of it. We cloth diapered DS, and I had a complicated routine that took several washes just to make sure they were clean. We use cloth napkins and lots of dish towels/rags and I'm just never sure they're really clean. Now and then, DH complains that his undershirts are not clean enough/smell funny. Maybe it's the eco-friendly detergent? Maybe it's the washer? As for the dryer, it's VERY efficient. Except that there's some weird design flaw where at least one item in 3 loads will get stuck somehow and not tumble with the rest, so when you pull everything out, there's this one piece of clothing that is crumpled up, half-wet and totally wrinkled. You can't just take it out, flatten it and let it dry. It's.... weird.

I do admit there is a lot to be said for reliability/quality/durability. For that, it has been worth the money. But I'm not so sure I'd go that route again. Next time, we'll be at the locally-owned appliance store in the scratch-and-dent section.

#8 of 16 Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm really liking my whirlpool duet sport. I know they can be stacked, but mine are not.

I do have to run an extra rinse for diapers, but I think that is common with he units.

I did stay in temp housing and also liked the super cheap top loaders, so maybe I have low standards!

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#9 of 16 Old 08-23-2011, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post

Ok-a vote for LG & a big no for Whirlpool.  Thx!  It's funny because Consumer Reports has Whirlpool in their 3 top picks (the Duet).  But I always wonder about how "independent"  they really are????

Hey Nazsmum, what was your experience with Whirlpool? 

Anyone have a Frigidaire?  I would not normally think of them but apparently they makes tons of W/D.  They have a few models that are in the $500/$600 range each. 

Well it is a LOOOONNNGGGG story. But the short part is that it really never worked right. It was in my home 10/09 on Thanksgiving 2010 it just stopped working. I told Whirlpool and they just did not care. I had repair men here more then 20 times.(really MORE than 20 times) every time they would tell me "well that is all we can do" I told the company I wanted I new washer and they just laughed at me. 

OH! The last repair guy told me that this same thing happened to another woman and it took 25 different parts to find the right one. That was it. I called Whirlpool and told them that I would tell anyone and everyone that I find NOT TO GET A WHIRLPOOL!!!!!!Cuss.gifSo if you know anyone tell them not to get a whirlpool.

I almost packed the thing up and sent it to the Pres of the company. See what he would do with it.

#10 of 16 Old 08-23-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

I almost packed the thing up and sent it to the Pres of the company. See what he would do with it.

UUUUGGGGHHHHH.  That really speaks to me...we had to buy a new Washer 2 years into this house when the one that came with the house just opened up & spilled an entire cycle of water into our finished basement.  We bought Kenmore & ever since, every item of non white clothing we put into it, no matter what detergent, what cycle, what "extras" (baking soda, borax etc) comes out with an oil type stain on it,  Everything, ruined.  We paid to have a guy come out & he replaced a part.  Still happened.  Had them come out again.  Still happened.  The thing is now only 2 years old.  I have envisioned myself sending it to someone high up & daring them to wash their favorite outfit in it.  

The house we are moving to in a couple weeks won't leave their set (LG Tromm) & the space/area for them requires stackables, plus we will have septic now & I am told a front load washer will add years to the life of my septic system etc.  We are just really broke so it kills to have to spend that kind of $.  We are leaning toward just doing the most inexpensive Frigidaire & going with the extended warranty.  I hate spending that extra $ but I can't go through BS again with another major appliance that gets used almost everyday.  

#11 of 16 Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 AM

We had a bare bones GE set for about 10 years.  I bought it from a local store and they actually talked me out of the fancier models.  I had no complaints until the end, some gasket started to breakdown and they told me it would cost more to replace it then to buy a new washer.  Of course, the new washers didn't fit with the dryer (ours were stacked in a small area) so we had to replace both.

My DH walked into a different local store and was awestruck by the Electrolux front loaders.  I caved and regreted it every day since.  The washer does not work nearly as well as the plain GE washer.  I often find "ghost" stains on darker colored shirts.  I have been told it is from detergent that didn't completely rinse out.  My model uses what seems like four cups of water and I am convinced it is too "water saving"  (I use the bare minimum of detergent.)

I guess the point of my post is my low-end front loading washer worked far, far, far better than the current Cadillac that sits on the laundry room.

I would probably seriously consider an extended warranty next time but check to see if it covers total replacement.  (though I don't know what they cost)  I called the repair guy to our house (I was convinced there was something wrong with the water supply) who told me that appliances are getting more and more complicated, machines are breaking sooner and often the parts and labor are more than new units.  

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#12 of 16 Old 09-02-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamama View Post

I have had my LG set for over a year now and LOVE THEM. The only thing I cannot do is soak but we are past the diaper phase so it's not a biggie. They are stackable but ours are not. We bought at Home Depot. We got 10% off and financed it for a year at 0%. They are steam too, which I like since my daughter has allergies.

that's what we have, though we don't stack.  dh and his da are HUGE into research in consumer reports, etc. and those were the best for the money according to what they figured out.  i don't know details, but on the front of ours there are stickers that say "10 year warranty."  but again, i don't know what that means.  we got them at the same store and used a coupon and waited for an appliance sale.  dh = very frugal. 

eta: we got one with a "sanitize" cycle for prefolds & inserts.  that's a nice feature, too.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#13 of 16 Old 09-02-2011, 05:52 AM

We have had a Frigidare set for 4 years. The only issue we've ever had is some change in the prefilter. It's not as accessible as in more expensive brands but we found the specs on line and did it ourselves. And ours are stacked! Love how much space it saves.
#14 of 16 Old 09-02-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

My DH walked into a different local store and was awestruck by the Electrolux front loaders.  I caved and regreted it every day since.  The washer does not work nearly as well as the plain GE washer.  I often find "ghost" stains on darker colored shirts.  I have been told it is from detergent that didn't completely rinse out.  My model uses what seems like four cups of water and I am convinced it is too "water saving"  (I use the bare minimum of detergent.)

I guess the point of my post is my low-end front loading washer worked far, far, far better than the current Cadillac that sits on the laundry room. 

That is so interesting.  Our plan Kenmore has been leaving the ghost stains since we bought it 2 years ago.  I will say this-I recently made the switch from the various natural detergents to a more mainstream one (but for sensitive skin) and we think we that is making a difference.  I need to buy a few new leggings for DD so when I wash them, we will find out for sure.  

#15 of 16 Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thx for the feedback from everyone!!!  I am looking at LGs and Frigidaire.  Folks IRL also suggested those.  

#16 of 16 Old 09-06-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post

That is so interesting.  Our plan Kenmore has been leaving the ghost stains since we bought it 2 years ago.  I will say this-I recently made the switch from the various natural detergents to a more mainstream one (but for sensitive skin) and we think we that is making a difference.  I need to buy a few new leggings for DD so when I wash them, we will find out for sure.  

I used to use Charlie's Soap and it was crazy, I was re-washing at least a 1/3 of all dark(-ish) pieces.  I am now using All Free and Clear and it is better.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page