Mothering Forum banner

About to go wild painting the house! Especially need painting tips for trim now.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mumkimum 
#1 ·
So after all this time trying to sell our place, we're not and I have to get rid of these other-people friendly colors for the time being.
joy.gif
. Lack of color is driving me nuts.

I'm pretty confident with my painting skills for walls but really confused about the best way to tackle some trim. Oil vs latex debate seems pretty big for that, and I'd prefer not to have to do the trim again as it's more of a hassle than walls. Any best paint you've used for trim or links with good advice? Other helpful trim painting stuff? And what about caulking gaps around windows and stuff like that - best stuff to use there?

See less See more
#3 ·
My dad, a painter, tells me most trim is semi-gloss, and I do a bright white throughout the house. The thing with semi-gloss, is that you can't mess around with your brush strokes. If you try to go over an area where you've already painted, it will just lift up some of the paint that you already put down and give you a messy texture. My dad told me to combat this, most painters add just a little water to the paint. I didn't want to mess with their formula, but I ended up adding like a teaspoon to a cup of paint or something similar (didn't actually measure) and it really helped.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you want to go zero VOC or low VOC. I ended up settling on the Sherwin Williams Harmony, but it's definitely more expensive than my usual Behr paint, which I love. As far as tape, if you use it, go for Frog tape. It's supposed to be much better.

I usually run my finger along caulk to smooth it out. I wouldn't use silicone unless it's for the bathroom, but my dad handles most of the caulking, so I don't know much about that.

#4 ·
It feels like I have painted miles and miles of trim........

In my opinion, I think a uniform trim color throughout the house looks best. I am partial to an off-white semi-gloss as mkksmom mentioned. Ditto the angled brush. Frog Tape is much better than regular blue painters tape but I have yet to achieve a perfectly crisp edge, I always get some amount of bleeding.

If you want really nice transitions between the walls and trim, use a paintable chalk. A little goes a long way. Keep the tip openning really small, lay down the least amount of chalk as possible. I keep a cup of warm soapy water and to smooth the chalk (and force it into the joints) I dip my finger in the soapy water and smooth the chalk down in one smooth, constant motion. It take a bit of practice but it is really pretty easy once you try it a few times. Ask at the paint store for a chalk recommendation, they can direct you to the type to use.

I would stay away from oil based paints. I used them for part of our house and I really think oil is best left to the pros. For me, oil set up too quickly and it was very unforgiving, I could not go back with the brush to even out the paint. Also, I hated having to clean up with paint thinner.

#5 ·
Thanks all.
Peace.gif

I kinda feel like, inherently, some of the wear on the windowsill trim might be avoided by just using oil based paints. . . and the fireplace mantel might get done better but I'm really nervous about, well, having or knowing about the right supplies (or not and really screwing it up). And then in trying to look up stuff I find out about so many problems with painting one kind over the other and really bad paint blunders (like not cleaning, wrong primer) and I'm just psyching myself out I think. I guess I'm leaning toward going latex and just resign myself to maybe redoing trim sometime again.

We did have someone do a lot of our trim in one room with a latex high gloss, and it did turn out pretty well -- so I might do that in the one other room that really needs trim help (and repair around the trim in a lot of places too). I've come across one or two brushes that are highly recommended for trim like all of you mention, so that's good. I like the additive/water rec and I will look into the chalk - that sounds like what I may have been wondering about for some of the issues in one of the bedrooms.

#6 ·
Good luck! The funny thing about painting it 90% of the work is prior to picking up the brush/roller.

Concerning oil versus latex for trim - I have no doubt that oil holds up better to touching/skin oil issues but I can tell in my house - half done professionally with oil/half by me with good quality latex - that nicks and dings happen equally well on both surfaces. Just mentioning that in case you are repainting trim for scrapes/nicks/dings reasons.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

that nicks and dings happen equally well on both surfaces. Just mentioning that in case you are repainting trim for scrapes/nicks/dings reasons.
This is really helpful to know. Thank you - I've been trying to suppose that in a land with oil based painted trim, I just somehow won't end up with stuff from the cats on the windowsill, and kid toys, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.