I like the new house but it's further away from everywhere we need to go...help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Right now we are 15-20 minutes maximum walk from every place we need to go. (school, stores, doctor, dentist, sports clubs, relatives homes, work, library etc) if we move to this new place we are considering, we will be 50 minutes walk away from all these places. It's a big difference to me, and I'm leaning against not doing it for this reason and waiting until we find a place nearer to where we are now. What would you do in this situation? (we don't have a car right now and public transport gets expensive so we mostly walk) Would that extra 30 minutes of walking everywhere from 20 to 50 minutes average time put you off moving to this property? Or wouldn't it bother you? What do you think? Plus it's cold and rainy a lot of the year here, I often complain about walking everywhere and it's only 20 minutes to places, so 50 minutes would be far worse I think. What are your thoughts? How important was the location to you? I guess if you do own a car you could think of it as eveywhere you drive to right now, being 20 minutes in the car, and if you move to the new place it would be 50 minutes drive away.

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#2 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 07:51 AM

Well...

First of all, why are you considering moving to this new place? The reason I am asking is because that would be an important deciding factor for me. A 50 minute walk is quite the distance, especially in bad weather, but it would not in and by itself put me off from moving if the new place was really better than my old one.

As with regards to the closeness of things...are there really stores closer to this new place than 50 minutes away? I think, for me, the new place would have to be absolutely perfect for me to have to walk more than 20 minutes to find a place to buy milk or other things one tend to run out off.  Is there not even a small grocery store nearby, just for the bare necessities?

Distance to dentists and doctor's doesn't really matter much if they are just an hours walk away. You don't go that often, so a ticket for when you need to shouldn't set you back that much.

And relatives...do you visit them every, single day? Do they visit you every day? If not, an hours walk or two twice a week or so isn't too bad.

The two distances that would worry me is school and work. During good weather, bicycling could perhaps be an option. Even the the initial purchase is quite high. But during winter weather, provided you do get freezing temperatures, I would not dare use a bicycle.

I don't know. It all depends.

Personally, I would perhaps not move that far away if I could not afford public transportation. Usually, here in Sweden, there are special, cheaper commuters tickets. Have you looked into that?

#3 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)

i wouldn't live that far from things I needed to walk to every day -- work, school, a basic well stocked store.

I think I would trust that I could pass on this opportunity and that something even better -- with the benefits of both places -- would appear. I don't think we have to worry about missing the window of opportunity because I believe there is always another window.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

i wouldn't live that far from things I needed to walk to every day -- work, school, a basic well stocked store.

I think I would trust that I could pass on this opportunity and that something even better -- with the benefits of both places -- would appear. I don't think we have to worry about missing the window of opportunity because I believe there is always another window.

I agree 100%

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#5 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM

The place would have to be a dream place for me to plan on walking that far daily. Before I got my car I walked everywhere which was great, except in the winter....that was miserable and I never walked an hour to anything.

Maybe you can try a run through. Go out on a not so great day and make the commute to one of those places 50 minutes away. Then you can really have an idea of how easy//painful it would be on a daily basis.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#6 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

So thats a 2 hr walk round trip, plus whatever time you spend at the store, appt, library etc?  No way!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 7 Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Agreed with you all and decided against this particular place because of the distance, it just isn't worth it. So tempting though, but feel at peace with the decision and happy with it to be honest. Thanks for your advice! Something better will come smile.gif p.s I did a trial walk there and back and it was bad!

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page