Does this lunch box exist? Need new one for Kindergarten with specific needs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a long list of PVC-free lunchboxes from CHEJ but not sure if any of them will work for what I am looking for.  DS just started kindergarten and our previous food system will not work so I need to get something new.

First, he has to keep his morning snack separate from his lunch.  So far I've given him a yogurt cup and fruit.  Is there any small insulated PVC and BPA free bag where I can put a banana separate from the insulated part?

For his lunch, I need something smaller than what I have now that is also insulated and PVC and BPA free.  The tough part is that I also send one Thermos Funtainer jar full of hot veggie, so that needs to be kept separate from the cold food.  I've looked at lunchboxes at Target and online and so far none have a large enough pocket to fit the Funtainer in.  I even skimmed through the Thermos site.  The kids' lunch boxes are all put in a tote in the kindergarten room and then sent to the lunchroom.  Then on the way in the lunchroom the kids pick up their food to eat.  That is why I would like to have something where I can attach the Thermos hot jar so it doesn't get taken/lost.

Also, what is the best thing to do for dirty silverware?  I tried putting a paper towel in there for him to wrap the dirty spoon in, but being a kindergartner that isn't working very well.  I don't want to have to keep using disposable plastic baggies.  Something easy to rinse that would be dry by the next morning would be nice.  My thought is those reusable sandwich bags, but when I had bought one a couple years ago I found out the lining was possibly made out of some kind of chemical so I'm not sure about those unless you know of a safe one.

Sorry I wasn't sure where to post this.

Thanks!!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-11-2011, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well I guess it depends on how much food you are sending in each day. If I use a thermos for something hot, I don't have that much else for lunch that needs to be cold and it never occured ot me to worry about how  close they are from each other. The Land's End "hard sided double duty lunchbox" looks nice. You are going to have a hard time finding something that is both small with two large compartments.

For snacks, I just use a small container if it is not something indiviually packaged - there are a ton out there, just google. I put the snack in the front pocket of the backpack so it is not even close to being mixed up with lunch. DD knows where to find it.

For dirty utensils - she just puts them back into the bag. I wipe out the bag if it looks dirty, but I don't spend much time thinking about it. I have never had a 'crime scene' mess in the linch box from a spoon so it never was an issue for us. If it is that bad - put a small cloth wash cloth in there and throw it into the wash afterwards.

#3 of 4 Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In our house, we have about 1,000 baby washclothes (gerber or some such, babies r us) that serve as multi-purpose kid wipe ups/napkins etc. Cheapest I could find. I tuck one of them in the lunch bag and LO usually puts the silverware on top or if I am lucky, inside.

We use a fogo by thermos almost everyday which I think is about the same size as the funtainer. It fits in all three small bags we have and we've never had a problem with temperature either it heating things up or getting chilled by other stuff. But we don't usually pack an ice pack because there aren't things that need to be cold.

The two lunch bags currently in use fit it fine "Skip Hop Owl" and "Crocodile Creek Robots"

#4 of 4 Old 09-22-2011, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Why cant the dirty silverware just go in the lunchbox?  Does it really need to be wrapped in something?  That would take care of one of the issues.

I would just get a label maker and put his name on the thermos and not worry about attaching it to the lunch box.  (In elementary school everything should be labeled anyway)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page